Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Please recommend a hiking boot

Hi folks,

Taking advantage of the collective knowledge of this forum again if you don't mind.

I am slowing acquiring gear and this summer my plan is to get a backpack (thanks for the help with that!) and hiking boots. I've been using a very old pair of Merrills

I am close to LL Beans and Cabelas and want to be able to try this on naturally.

Please make a recommendation. I want to stay in the $150 range if that's possible. Looking at doing short sections of the AT with the longest time out being possibly 5 - 10 days.

Thanks for any help.

I have Keens that I love! They fit perfectly! They seem to have a wider toe box than others I tried which is a plus for me! I model I have are the Targhee! Thier light weight and have a gortex liner. I would prefer not to have the gortex, but that was not a deal killer for me!

You need to get out and try on as many kinds of boots as possible. Fit is the key to any footwear. I wear all leather non Gortex for extensive hiking, otherwise it doesn't really matter as long as they fit and feel good.

Images

I use both LL Beans and Cabelas. I use the LL Bean Trail model hikers a lot and have both the waterproof and non waterproof. I use the mid-height ones. The trail model hikers are high volume, which I like. I usually buy the size 8 wide (although I actually wear size 7.5 regular width).

I also like Cabelas hiking boots. I most generally buy my regular size in Cabelas.

I have gotten very good wear out of both brands. They are priced decently at under $100 for most styles. It is good that you live close to both. I think you will find a pair that you like at either store.
    And both carry other brands too (but other brands are way more costly).
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    I have Keens that I love! They fit perfectly! They seem to have a wider toe box than others I tried which is a plus for me! I model I have are the Targhee! Thier light weight and have a gortex liner. I would prefer not to have the gortex, but that was not a deal killer for me!
    I also have Keen Targee boots and love them as a winter boot when I need to keep my feet warm and dry. My warm weather boots are Soloman trail shoes. Both are wider at the toe box and since I have a bunion that's space I need.

Images

I much prefer low-tops, have a wide foot, options are limited. If you have a narrow foot check out Innov8.

Keen Targhee Mid II are favorites. They tend to run small so you may have to bump up a 1/2 size. Upside is extreme comfort, the downside is they only last about 300 miles. YMMV.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Trail runners. I use Brooks Adrenaline ASR but if you go this route, get fitted by a professional running shop

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I ues trail runners also. Used to have Asolo GTX, but they beat my feet to hell. Now I'm using Salomon XA pro's. They are as comfy as bedroom shoes! Oboz is a newer brand that I have run across, and wanted a pair of those. The comfort is unbelievable, but they didn't come low enough for my ankle. They do make boots though. Friends of mine got Keens for a 4 day hike, and they both wore them out tof the box and had no problems, so those are a good idea too.

Images

Thanks to all of you for the great responses. I hope you don't get sick of me asking newbie questions.

I was leaning toward something with more ankle support. Are there pros and cons on that? or does this really come down to whatever you are comfortable with?

remember the rule of gortex. if its not below freezing, its a disadvantage. if its wet on the outside because its not cold enough to snow but its raining, then the breathability is zero. gortex breaths fine in sub zero when dispelling vapor is a must. but gortex covered with water from rain cannot breath. the rain is not breathable. thats the thing about gortex and membrains. they are for cold only. the minute you try to use them in summer for wet or fall for chilly or spring for chilly wet, they become a hot, water trapping, foot softening disaster. but when in snow and at frozen temps, they are your only hope of safe warm dry tough feet. as far as shoes, keen and asolo are some of the best but only your being happy matters. all shoes can hike. even keds.
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    remember the rule of gortex. if its not below freezing, its a disadvantage. if its wet on the outside because its not cold enough to snow but its raining, then the breathability is zero. gortex breaths fine in sub zero when dispelling vapor is a must. but gortex covered with water from rain cannot breath. the rain is not breathable. thats the thing about gortex and membrains. they are for cold only. the minute you try to use them in summer for wet or fall for chilly or spring for chilly wet, they become a hot, water trapping, foot softening disaster. but when in snow and at frozen temps, they are your only hope of safe warm dry tough feet. as far as shoes, keen and asolo are some of the best but only your being happy matters. all shoes can hike. even keds.
    Thank you for this explanation of gortex, it's very helpful. Most of my hiking at this point will be summer, so I'm glad to know this.

I recommended the Keen Targhee Mid ll's because you specifically mentioned "boots" in your OP. Like anything else people have preferences for their footwear. Some like boots, other's trailrunners. It really comes down to what you feel comfortable in, what your foot will tolerate, and your base pack weights.

Some people find that trailrunners don't offer enough arch support which can lead to a whole host of other problems. Definitely consider inserts (like SuperFeet) no matter what you decide and make sure the heel cup fits properly. You can't rely on the sizing chart listed on the package. Your heel should not overlap the cup at all rather fit totally within it.

If you're lucky enough to have an outfitter near you, go there to be fitted. Try on several pairs and use the incline board to test the fit and toe box size.

Good luck!

p.s.- Goretex? Fit first, waterproofing last. I've found any waterproofing system gimmick (Goretex or proprietary) only lasts about 10 days in constant wet conditions before it breaches. It's totally no good after that. Save your money- go for comfort.
    Last edited by Spokes; 06-13-2011 at 08:36.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I recommended the Keen Targhee Mid ll's because you specifically mentioned "boots" in your OP. Like anything else people have preferences for their footwear. Some like boots, other's trailrunners. It really comes down to what you feel comfortable in, what your foot will tolerate, and your base pack weights.

Some people find that trailrunners don't offer enough arch support which can lead to a whole host of other problems. Definitely consider inserts (like SuperFeet) no matter what you decide and make sure the heel cup fits properly. You can't rely on the sizing chart listed on the package. Your heel should not overlap the cup at all rather fit totally within it.

If your lucky enough to have an outfitter near you, go there to be fitted. Try on several pairs and use the incline board test the fit and toe box size.

Good luck!

More good advice thanks. I actually wear a doctor recommended insert due to an arch issue, so I'll be sure to take those with me when I shop.

You guys are awesome!

spokes mentions a critical point. the inserts sold with shoes are designed to make the buyer comfy and are soft and forgiving for this reason. they have no ability to hike. with the exseption of boots well over 200$ that may have cork footbeds or superfeetlike inserts, all new boots and hiking shoes need superfeet or some other proper insert made for loadcarrying. the original inserts are nice for when boots are wet. you can keep drying one set while wearing the others. for short uses like this, the originals are fine. superfeet, after a few hundred miles can be examined on the underside to see the scratches and gouges in the very hard plastic and how that has protected you. the damage they can take would be transfered to your feet with a lesser insole.
    matthewski

Images

Okay so now you've all got me wondering about superfeet.

Yes - I should look into those when I buy boots? or no don't bother..?

Journal Entries
    Images

I am also using the Keen Targhee Mid II. I have a pair of the Keen Targhee shoe that would be great for flat, non-rocky surface. However, since I have absolutely no strength in my ankles, I need the mid boot to keep my ankles from rolling as I'm going over lose and rocky terrain (i.e. AT in VA).

Danner boots,

Vasque models are good if you have narrow feet.

Don't bother with Superfeet if you already have doctor-made inserts.

Also, ankle protection is a myth. But people will vehemently say otherwise. Let me know if you find a boot that actually prevents your ankle from moving. At the same time, let me know if you find a boot that doesn't have you walking like a bull in a china shop and tripping your ankles all over the place. You'll take much better care with your foot placement and walk a lot better if you can use the full range of motion in your legs and feet that god gave you.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++