WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Getting close to time and now I'm freaking out!

Well, life sometimes happens in a way you don't expect and this year has been much of that. I am so behind in our gear buying and now due to family obligations, I am having to stretch our start time from 7/7 to the 18th or so. One big problem I have now though is getting us there. My hubby was supposed to drive us to Baxter, spend a few days himself and then head home but due to his own work schedule, that is now completely impossible. So, how do I get from GA to Baxter? Train? Bus? Or is it possible for me to drive my own car and find somewhere to park and then just shuttle it down as we go? Because I do have a kid with me, my husband likes the idea of my car being within a day's reach in case I need it or if we bail and want to come home (not gonna happen!). He also thinks it is a smart way to have extra gear we may need, just to have it boxed up in my jeep for when we need it. I don't have a support system in the north like I do here in the south, but it is too late for us to attempt a NOBO (and we have our heart set on summer up there).

So, thoughts, opinions? I need help hiking pals.
    "Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
    - Frank Scully

The car idea sounds like a logistical nightmare. Take the train.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    The car idea sounds like a logistical nightmare. Take the train.
    Thanks, Bill, that's what I was thinking as well. Trying to find enough people willing to help with that would be near impossible. Alnother option is for me to rent a one way and turn it in in Maine before we begin. I can't find any train schedules from ATL to Bangor. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.... hmmm....
    - Frank Scully

Images

You could take the train from Atlanta to Portland, ME ($205) and then use bus service to get to Medway (not sure of current prices - but its cheap), then use the AT Lodge Hiker Special ($70) for a shuttle from Medway to Millinocket, night at the AT Lodge, breakfast at the AT Cafe and shuttle to Baxter State Park.

Images

train

this is from the articles section under: transportation

Getting to Baxter State Park, Maine
    No public Transportation available to or from the Park but arrangements can be made for the beginning or end of your hike. For those beginning their hike at Katahdin this usually means going thru Boston, Portland and / or Bangor, then to Medway, and then to Millinocket; which is still 24 miles south of the park.

From Bangor: Cyr Bus Lines of Old Town, ME, (800) 244-2335, (207) 827-2335, (207) 827-2010, www.cyrbustours.com, [email protected]. Serves northern Maine.

Medway to Millinocket: Hitch on Maine 27 or call a taxi to go to Millinocket, 10 miles to the west or Baxter State Park, about 30 miles away. Katahdin Taxi, (207) 723-2000, Su-Th 6am to 1:30am, F-Sa 6am-2am., provides rides to Millinocket, Baxter State Park gate and to Katahdin Stream Campground.
    For information on lodging and facilities near Baxter State Park in Medway and Millinocket contact BSP, 64 Balsam Dr., Millinocket, ME 04462, (207) 723-5140.

For those ending their hike at Katahdin: A hitch can usually be had from the park to Millinocket as most folks leaving the park need to go thru Millinocket.

Panzer

also check under Shuttles for shuttle rides.
    Last edited by Panzer1; 06-12-2011 at 11:50.

Car rental one way was $$$$. I wanted to have my wife fly up and meet me in Maine then drive back together. we cancelled that idea due to cost of rental car although she flew up, we spent some time in Maine, then flew back. You can look at flight to Bangor or Portland, bus to Millinocket, shuttle to BSP. Or bus ride up from Ga.. as other poster said, you do not want the hassle of dealing with a car. check the usual travel websites for prices...travel up to Maine during peak tourist season is not cheap you will find.

Phreak...you are MOST helpful!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Thanks Panzer...looks like the train is a win. The kid will be so happy, she was excited about riding the train.
    - Frank Scully

4shot...Thanks for that input. We have a lot of points for various things since my hubs travels for work weekly, and I have AAA to help take a little off too. I'm going to look at flight prices now, if it is near enough to train prices, then that's the way we should go, I am thinking. Time=money, right?
    - Frank Scully

Just found flights for $307 total for both of us....thinking that is the way to go and then use shuttle service. Thanks everyone...I'm sure you are going to see lots of my stupid panic questions over the next few weeks.
    - Frank Scully

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Delta-Dawn View Post
    Just found flights for $307 total for both of us....thinking that is the way to go and then use shuttle service. Thanks everyone...I'm sure you are going to see lots of my stupid panic questions over the next few weeks.
    If your flight is to Bangor, note that the terminal for the CYR bus is just outside of the airport property. I walked to the terminal and took the bus to Medway in 2009.

The bus leaves at 6:30 from the terminal. Tickets were $12 in 2009. No need to purchase ahead of time.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You are starting SOBO fairly late to do a finish this year. Quite probably a two year stint for you, which is perfectly fine, but just something to keep in mind. I would not rush it, esp in the beginning which has tough terrain. Take your time and enjoy the experience together.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I am heading to Maine from Chattanooga, TN in a few weeks. I am planning on starting my thru-hike on or around July 4th. I rented a car one way from Avis for $161.63 total. That is for two days with unlimited miles. Of course, there will be the cost of gas and I will have to make it to Maine in 48 hours from Chattanooga but I found that the one way rental was the cheapest method of getting there.

Thanks Rovem. That is good info to know. I wish I was starting the week you were, but as it is, with all that has gone on for us lately, I will just be glad to get there at any time now.

Blissful, I agree with you, we are getting a later start than I would like. After some reality has set in, I think more than likely this will be not be a complete thru this year unless we get trail legs fast and can push it. But I have a kid with me so I don't want to push it too much, I want us to take our time and enjoy. We will go until we can't go any longer and pick back up early next spring to get what we may have to miss. This could turn into a flip-flop before it is all said and done. I'm just going to go with the flow, and let God guide us. I want to help grow her love of the outdoors, not stamp it out completely.
    - Frank Scully

i'm driving up from fl on july 2nd...that sounds too early for you...my 28 year old daughter is driving up with me so we are going straight to newry maine (24 hours)...outside bethel...my friend has a cabin there near sunday river.....my wife is flying to portland on the 8th....then on the 10th we are driving to baxter.......daughter & i are sobo thru...my wife is hiking with us to my friends cabin 3 miles from the me/nh border then flying home....if in any way your plans change and we can help just let me know......we are taking the slow pace to start...i've been through the 100 mile wilderness 5 times...it's awsome...my wife and daughter have not been there before so we are going to have fun...swim in the lakes, etc....we'll put the hammer down once she leaves....maybe we'll see you'll out there...good luck....keep rolling with the punches... and god bless
    ATC Life Member
    The only thing in life you have total control of is your attitude

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I think that it would be totally reasonable to plan on finishing this year (unless your child is younger than I'm assuming) if you enjoy spending your time on the trail hiking.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Delta-Dawn View Post

Blissful, I agree with you, we are getting a later start than I would like. After some reality has set in, I think more than likely this will be not be a complete thru this year unless we get trail legs fast and can push it. But I have a kid with me so I don't want to push it too much, I want us to take our time and enjoy. We will go until we can't go any longer and pick back up early next spring to get what we may have to miss. This could turn into a flip-flop before it is all said and done. I'm just going to go with the flow, and let God guide us. I want to help grow her love of the outdoors, not stamp it out completely.

Sounds great. Have a good time and check in with us here once in a while.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

++ New Posts ++