WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    This seems like the usual case - they avoid people, in a confrontation as long as they're not cornered, they move on.

But when I came upon one on the Allegheny Trail last year, he was almost in the middle of the Trail and wouldn't move for anything. Head up, tail up, rattling away - he didn't even move when one of the small rocks I tossed landed squarely on him (not intending to kill him, just prod him). Trailway was too narrow hemmed by thick rhododendron for us to walk around him so finally found a long-enough stick to poke him off.
    It seems that once they go into defensive mode, they aren't moving. I've pitched pine cones, sticks, small rocks, and soaked them with water. It just pisses them off more.

If they are sleeping when you come by, get by quickly before they become aware of your presence. Once they are alert, the odds of getting by safely diminish. A lot of times they do come down and lay on trails that have been cut into the side of a mountain or ridge. When that happens you can't go up or down to get by them.

Images

While staffing out boy scout camp back in '80, we found and killed 3 large Eastern Diamondbacks. One was 5½ ft and 15 lbs, the second was 6½ ft and 20 lbs, and the last, a pregnant female was 6 ft and 25 lbs. All 3 went to the barby! Yummy!
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Bah hahahahhahahahhaaa I was wondering what a rattleSNACK was!
    fruit loops in a can
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AegisIII View Post
    Wow, that's seven more rattlesnakes than I've ever seen anywhere in Michaux.
    Maybe there's a reason for the discrepancy? Consider the title, source of the information and posting history.

This thread is a strange mix of so-called humor which if it belongs here at all should be in another forum and actual information related to timber rattlesnakes. It may do more to disinform than it does to inform. Who knows what people actually learn from such threads?

The species being discussed has long been persecuted and its continued existance is uncertain. Knowledgeable people are rightfully concerned and should consider some of the posts which have been permitted offensive.
    Last edited by emerald; 06-14-2011 at 14:11.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CowHead View Post
    Thanks will be out there the end of june anyone know how the water is in PA thanks

Water in PA last week was available at all shelters between Calendonia SP and Swatara Gap though the spring at Darlington was running pretty slowly.

Maybe there's a reason for the discrepancy? Consider the title, source of the information and posting history.

Discrepency?? The OP just simply reported what he/she saw, as a point of interest or warning. One could walk the same stretch of trail the next day and never see any. Viewing wildlife is a wonderful side bennifit of hiking in the woods, as most would agree.

This thread is a strange mix of so-called humor which if it belongs here at all should be in another forum and actual information related to timber rattlesnakes. It may do more to disinform than it does to inform. Who knows what people actually learn from such threads?

They learn what they want to learn, if they choose to learn nothing, that is their choice, albeit IMHO an unwise one. On the subject of HUMOR, lighten up please.

The species being discussed has long been persecuted and its continued existance is uncertain. Knowledgeable people are rightfully concerned and should consider some of the posts which have been permitted offensive.

Yes rattlesnakes and snakes in general have gotten a bad rap in the movies, on TV and in print. If you don't like the taking and eating of animals then that is YOUR choice. I guess we all get to rant from time to time. I have enjoyed your input in the past and most likely will in the future.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4Bears View Post
    The OP just simply reported what he/she saw, as a point of interest or warning.
    Since we have no way of verifying this claim, it may or may not have happened. If it did, they may have just been "coming down for the water."

They learn what they want to learn, if they choose to learn nothing, that is their choice, albeit IMHO an unwise one. On the subject of HUMOR, lighten up please.
    Unless people have the knowledge necessary to evaluate what's posted, they don't know what is and isn't junk and go away confused which some find amusing.

Yes, rattlesnakes and snakes in general have gotten a bad rap in the movies, on TV and in print.
    I didn't post to dispute what appears here or in print, but rather to point out what those who know the most about Timber Rattlesnake are telling us.

I suggest you read what DCNR has to say on the subject.

If you don't like the taking and eating of animals then that is YOUR choice.
    I'm an omnivore and I don't know what your comment has to do with anything I posted.

I guess we all get to rant from time to time.
    You just had yours and I responded to it as you did mine.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OldFeet View Post
    Water in PA last week was available at all shelters between Calendonia SP and Swatara Gap though the spring at Darlington was running pretty slowly.

Thanks finishing Pa end of this month that section will be done the off to NJ/NY
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post

Amen to that we need snakes.
    1. They eat mice
    2. They give a urge to move around them
    3. They tempt women into doing things they shouldn't
    ok 2 out of three
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

I don't doubt that someone could see 7 rattles in Michaux over a two week period; I know they are there. But given my experience, it seems more of an anomaly than suggesting a larger population there now. And I don't see a reason to remove any bans. All the timber rattlesnakes I've seen have been quite docile, and I've been able to (unknowingly of course) stand 2-3 feet away from them for a few minutes w/o incident.
    --
    EJS
    (Ed. S)

Images

Default re: Southern pa rattlesnack alert

I got rattled at in June 2010 by a timber rattler laying in the grass along Bunker Hill Rd, just above Pine Grove State Park. There was a trail maintenance re-route and the route went down the gravel road with blackberries and honeysuckle in bloom. I was keeping to the edge to avoid being run down by good ole boys in trucks. Recommend keeping to the center of remote roads like Bunker Hill.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I do not like venomous snakes. Not even a little bit. I could go the rest of my life without seeing one and I'd be very happy.

But I wouldn't kill one unless it was slinking around my house.

Regular ol' snakes like black snake, king snakes, garter snakes have free reign anywhere they want to go except inside the house. If that happened it would get relocated.

Had lunch with one last year at the Pinnicale in Pa.... I was sitting on rocks eating lunch and heard the rattle got up and looked under the rock aside of me was a big fattie. I was there for about 20 minutes. I'm thinking he was there the whole time and maybe said enough of this and shook his tail to get my attention which it did and I moved a few rocks over and watched him come out and under another rock and dissapear... its there home we are walking through their living room.

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by OldFeet View Post
    That is the best Darlington ever runs.
    Alcohol was involved!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CowHead View Post
    Thanks finishing Pa end of this month that section will be done the off to NJ/NY
    Hey CowHead my current plan is to do DWG north as far north as I can go next year, in three weeks. Already planing on using Sasquatch to get me of the trail and headed home. I am sure he has room for two.
    Last edited by harryfred; 06-15-2011 at 17:53.
    Alcohol was involved!

Images

I have never see a rattle snake south of the Susquehanna. While prospecting in CA in The Mojave climbing a small dome I reached my hand up heard the rattle waited till long past no more rattle pulled myself up, and got nailed. It took me several hrs to get back to my truck and home. I was very sick when I got to the hospital. IF YOU GET BIT, DON'T PANIC but do head straight for the nearest med facilities.
    Alcohol was involved!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by harryfred View Post
    I have never see a rattle snake south of the Susquehanna. While prospecting in CA in The Mojave climbing a small dome I reached my hand up heard the rattle waited till long past no more rattle pulled myself up, and got nailed. It took me several hrs to get back to my truck and home. I was very sick when I got to the hospital. IF YOU GET BIT, DON'T PANIC but do head straight for the nearest med facilities.
    Where (on your body) did you get bitten?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by harryfred View Post
    Hey CowHead my current plan is to do DWG north as far north as I can go next year, in three weeks. Already planing on using Sasquatch to get me of the trail and headed home. I am sure he has room for two.
    Got a wedding then the trail but I was thinking of Maine and the 100 mile wilderness was my plan for next year
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Where (on your body) did you get bitten?
    Right wrist. yeah, I know stupid all I had to do is pull my hand back.
    Alcohol was involved!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++