WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PA water 2011

Also returned on Friday from 5 days Pen-Mar to Rt 34 (S. of Mt. Holly Springs). Water at Anteitam Shelter (at the pump house) was good; looked like Tumbling Run was fine as well. Quarry Gap spring looked low, but after some rain, it was flowing the following morning nicely. Birch Run Shelter spring was also flowing nicely. Did not stay at Toms Run, but others who we had been following did not note that there were any problems with water. James Fry (Tagg Run) Shelter noted that the spring was dry, but we did not checkit out as we had enough water for our needs. Hopefully the rain that we had each night (Tues. & Wed.) helped the springs.

Images

Default How about Allentown shelter's spring

I'm going to be out that way second week of Sept. I know Aug has been the wettest month on record in the Philly area. So I'm going to make an assumption that the springs should be flowing well now. I was at this shelter July 4th and the spring was just a trickle

Any one been there recently

Images

Default Allentown Hiking Club Shelter springs

Conditions now wouldn't necessarily provide any indication what they may be in two weeks.

Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Conditions now wouldn't necessarily provide any indication what they may be in two weeks.
    OK that is so helpful, thanks emerald.

I guess I'll head over there this weekend and have a look for myself.

Now I remember why I don't post here often there are far too many folks with such sound advise, I'm not ready for this much help.

Images

No need for the sarcasm. I don't know how the best possible report would have been of much use weeks before your planned activity.

July often is the wettest month in Berks County, but other months may be wetter when we are visited by tropical storms. Most precipitation in the summer months is produced by localized storms resulting in an uneven distribution of rainfall.

Irene dropped just over 3 inches at Reading Regional Airport. Spring flow now ought to be about as good as it gets in August, but much can change in two weeks. Additional precipitation, cloud cover, air temperature and relative humidity in the coming weeks are all apt to influence how much water is available for your use when you arrive.

These springs are sometimes slow, but it would be rare for them to run dry. Anyone who has reason to expect they might be dry should pack in water from Eckville or SR 309 and seek current information while on the trail.
    Last edited by emerald; 08-30-2011 at 13:01.

Images

I hiked into Allentown shelter last Saturday from 309. Went down to the blue blaze spring all was running well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++