WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Campsites with water between Hot Springs and Sams Gap

Hi, some friends and I are planning a 3 day hike north from Hot Springs, NC to Sams Gap. Anyone know of good campsites in the region. I hear it is pretty rugged and we will need to carry plenty of water.

Recommendations welcome.

Thanks,
    Stumbler.

there are a few shelters. and a really sweet camp spot with a nice view about 4 miles south of sams gap. not sure what it's called but it's marked as a viewpoint in most of the guidebooks.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Oh man, there's plenty of water and campsites between Hot Springs and Sam's Gap.

Too many to mention really. There's an awesome campsite with a piped spring about a mile north of the antenna farm around Camp Creek Bald.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Stumbler
    Check with 10-K. He lives in Erwin as well. Check with Uncle Johnnys for any water reports.

I also used to live around and hike the area. Hot Springs to Sams Gap is a pretty tough section in summer because it gets fairly dry on the Bald Mtn ridgeline.

But some of the best campsites are Rich Mtn firetower, Jones Meadows (take the blue blaze trail out off at Camp Creek Bald area to the open meadow parking area), the fields and Shelton grave on Coldspring Mtn, Flint Mtn shelter, Sugarloaf Gap, and Frozen Knob overlook.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 06-15-2011 at 13:17.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

yes I did it in Aug. about 2 years ago. no water until Little Laurel shelter after hwy. some puddles at top of mtn. . no water at Jerry Cabin. no water at Sheldon graves. good water at Flint Mtn shelter.

Default Campsites between Hot Springs and Sams Gap

Thanks for the tips everyone. We are planning for mid-July, starting at Sams Gap. I hope the springs continue to run smooth and clear, but we will bring plenty of water with us, just in case. A dip into the French Broad in Hot Springs will be our reward.

Looks like the trail runs along the ridge line, but we will be seeking flat ground to put up 2 tents.

Hope to see you on the trail.
    All the best, Stumbler

++ New Posts ++