WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default carrying a dog during the entire hike

As the title said...I am thinking of carrying my dog during the entire hike.

Why? It's quite simple. I have two dogs. One is a healthy and energetic 8, the other is quite healthy for his age according to the vet, but mostly blind/deaf at 14. They are both Cairn Terriers.

The other day I did a mild 5 mile hike with both dogs. At the end, the 8yr was still pulling to go, the 14yr old was walking very slowly and not wanting to go on any time soon. Yeah, they are both out of shape....BUT a gentle 5 mile hike is a half a day of a 6 month walk. No chance in hell is he going to be able to do it alone.

options
    1. Leave him home: I would, but have no one to care for him. The separation anxiety would be bad for him at his age and condition.
    2. Wait until he passes, viable, but then the current 8yr old will be in the same boat and I'll have to wait that much longer.
    3. Take him along, he weighs 15lbs, supplement gear and balance the pack at 30lbs. I have the benefit of sharing the load with my wife so it will not too much of an added weight.
    4. Just not go....

I want my dog to enjoy the hike and being outdoors, if this means I need to carry him 90% of the time so he stays healthy so be it.

Ideas?
    School makes you sound wise, while the world actually makes you wise.

Chances are, you'll end up carrying both dogs for a significant part of the hike. More likely, one or both of of you will end up going home with the dogs.

On a six month hike, most of us do both vey short days and very long ones. They average out to 11 or 12 miles a day, but include a lot of 18-20 mile days to make up for town days and short days heading in and out of town. There are also the rocky places where you'll have to carry the dogs up and down.

LOL! It simply is staggering to think what people do, or think they will do, for dogs!

LOL! So, if you aren't trolling and are serious you plan on carrying a dog 2200 miles on a 6 month thru-hike?

Is there something in the water in Maine?

Gooood luck!

Probably going to hold off on the AT for the next 5-7 years. Would rather keep my dog healthy and do day hikes than endanger him with a TH

good call...a hard decision for sure......but in my opinion the correct one....obviously you love your dogs.....and value the relationships.....sent with regards and respect...i am leaving for maine on july 2nd to start my sobo thru....my 15 year old lab passed 18 months ago clearing the way for me.........the trail will always be there
    ATC Life Member
    The only thing in life you have total control of is your attitude

you really don't have ANYONE that could watch your dogs for a while? Parents? In-laws? Dog loving friends? I have had a Cairn, and maybe yours are different than mine, but if I dropped that leash for one second he would be GONE. Not to mention the barking in the camp, freaking out at every insect and animal he saw, etc. etc. But maybe yours are very well behaved. But again, I would try to find someone to watch em for a few months, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by erinjoy777 View Post
    you really don't have ANYONE that could watch your dogs for a while? Parents? In-laws? Dog loving friends? I have had a Cairn, and maybe yours are different than mine, but if I dropped that leash for one second he would be GONE. Not to mention the barking in the camp, freaking out at every insect and animal he saw, etc. etc. But maybe yours are very well behaved. But again, I would try to find someone to watch em for a few months, IMHO.
    No one, My parents would put my older one down at the first sign of incurable illness (done it with their own dogs) In-laws have a bad history of poor dog care have had three dogs run over and one drown in a pool. So we are pretty well on our own. I would hate to have something happen while away...especially something I could avoid. Like the other poster said...the trail will always be there.

Cairns are funny dogs, they each have their own personality. I have know one other than mine, and all three are VASTLY different. They are all very loyal and very smart.

A plus for Cairnes as trail dogs, my aunt's at least, was death on mice. Could make one welcome in shelters.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    A plus for Cairnes as trail dogs, my aunt's at least, was death on mice. Could make one welcome in shelters.
    This is true!

Well, I'm reconsidering my decision. I took them out today with my wife and with a 20 lb pack ready for dog insertion when necessary.

Dog seemed to do better walking a new trail with my wife and I instead of the old and old boring trail/road he's been on dozens of times before. In all we hiked about 10 miles and about 7 of it he hiked on his own....this IS the second real hike he has been on this season so he is out of shape.

When he got tired I stopped, gave him some water and put him in my pack. He actually fell asleep for a bit, then acted like he wanted to walk again. So I let him so he continued the 2 mile remainder to the car.

We are in no rush on this hike. We are actually going to do Baxter this summer/fall and start our thru at Abol to allow for the dogs to be with us from the first step. Because of this we will be able to leave in early May/late April and not have to wait for Baxter to open. We will also have the trail to ourselves for quite a while too as we will be a month ahead of most SOBO hikers.

I guess with the dogs we will be doing about a 10-12mi-day pace which is fine with us, the AT is not a check-off hike, we have nothing to return for, and we can take as much time as we need. I guess the pace will be determined by our dogs health and well being.

A note on trail dogs...I do understand the attitude about off leash dogs and what a PITA they are. We had one today that had to be dealt with.....a PITA to say the least.

Dog in pack seemingly quite happy..benefits of small dogs as companion hikers!!

You seem like a very caring owner. Nice shots. Is that a Golite Jam?

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    You seem like a very caring owner. Nice shots. Is that a Golite Jam?
    Golite Pinnacle, great pack, but will be going for the Osprey for the hike due to the back breathability.

I'm in no rush on the hike, 1 year or 3, I will take as long as I need. Dog's health is #1 priority.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven View Post
    Golite Pinnacle, great pack, but will be going for the Osprey for the hike due to the back breathability.

I'm in no rush on the hike, 1 year or 3, I will take as long as I need. Dog's health is #1 priority.
    Wish all pet owners were as loving and considerate as you. Good luck on what ever you decide. The trail is for everyone, just not hikers who sweat and worry over every ounce of weight.

I just have to say that first picture is so cute!! This makes me miss my samson, *tear*. If yours is calm enough (which if it fell asleep it appears he is), I say go for it!! I hope to meet ya'll out there next year, I would take em for a day if ya'll wanted a break!

I have the same kind of problem, sort of. I would love to be able to hike with my dog, but she's a miniature doxie. By the time 3 miles rolls around she's done so I'd have to carry her almost all the time. On the positive side though she is only 8 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroC View Post
    I have the same kind of problem, sort of. I would love to be able to hike with my dog, but she's a miniature doxie. By the time 3 miles rolls around she's done so I'd have to carry her almost all the time. On the positive side though she is only 8 pounds.
    <br><br>I think the best way would be to just go all ultralight to save weight. In the end you will have the same weight as someone with regular gear.&nbsp;

++ New Posts ++