WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I'll try and give an example. Search the word Tuscarora, and the results show 3 old threads from 2002 and 2003.
    The search result does does bring up any of the 7 or 8 times Tuscarora is mentioned in this thread I started back in April 2011.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...lvania-is-best
    Same for a search on Bartram which I think I've mentioned about 46 times now.. It doesn't even bring up a recent thread in the Other Trails forum with the word Bartram in the subject line.

Searching for Bartram finds 13 thread - 3 newer ones and the rest from 2002-2003.

I'll try and give an example. Search the word Tuscarora, and the results show 3 old threads from 2002 and 2003.
    The search result does does bring up any of the 7 or 8 times Tuscarora is mentioned in this thread I started back in April 2011.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...lvania-is-best
    We have a problem similar on a sports site when we went V Bulletin. It could be a forum setting in the control panel.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Trying this now.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries
    Images

AT Troll (2010)

Images

So far, the only way I've found to post an image from a third site like flickr or photobucket is to copy and paste the image code into the "Quick Reply" box. Any other entry will get the error message. When someone quotes an image that has posted, the error message appears, apparently because it was not posted through the "Quick Reply" box. The standard reply box, reply with quote box, or initial post box blocks the image.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

To add another layer to the mystery, if you go back to the URL I posted in #27, you can click on it and it will display the image from Photobucket in another window. But if you click on the the URL in your quote in #63, the new window only displays the error message. It seems like there is some connection issue or filter issue through standard posting format, but not quick reply.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/hikertrash/0901042.gif
    <<< link posted to quick reply

Attachment 11652<<<< using image icon in quick reply

Default In advanced mode

Attachment 11652 <<<< photo posted directly (shows before posting and in edit)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...trash/rain.gif <<<< link posted directly

Attachment 11653 <<< using image icon

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    To add another layer to the mystery, if you go back to the URL I posted in #27, you can click on it and it will display the image from Photobucket in another window. But if you click on the the URL in your quote in #63, the new window only displays the error message. It seems like there is some connection issue or filter issue through standard posting format, but not quick reply.
    Yes, I have found this too. I can get the image to display in the text window until I click submit and then the error image displays.
    It seems only to happen with photobucket at this time, because I can display other images.

AT Troll (2010)

Rick,
    Although the new look is different, I think most hikers will either get used to it, or go somewhere else. My question pertains to clicking on "new posts" under my avatar. This feature, which has been carried over from the old software, is a great feature. However, with the new software, there is now no message to let me know that I have reachedthe end of new posts since my last visit. I beleive that the wording was somethin to the effect that the following posts have not been updated since your last visit but may contain unread posts. Is it possible to incorporate this feature back into the current site? just wondering. Thanks for all your hard work with this site.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I too noticed the trouble searching for old threads. A recent one started by someone wanting to know about fishing on the trail had me searching for all the recent threads on the subject. The only instance it returned was the new one.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah, I did a search for "Ocala" the most popular part of the Florida Trail just to see if the same problem came up and only got one hit from and old 2002 post. And I know there have been many more recent post about the Ocala.
    Still got that Twilight Zone music?

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Same for a search on Bartram which I think I've mentioned about 46 times now.. It doesn't even bring up a recent thread in the Other Trails forum with the word Bartram in the subject line.

Searching for Bartram finds 13 thread - 3 newer ones and the rest from 2002-2003.
    Both of the search problems should be resolved shortly. I started a search re-index last night on WhiteBlaze. The index is still running and should be done within the next couple hours. I did a seach for these two names just a minute ago and it has already provide more results.

If anyone is wondering why the web site is running so slowly it is because the web site is still doing a search re-index. It should be done withing the next couple of hours and then things should pick back up again.
    AT Troll (2010)

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks! I've already experienced much better search results!
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

I got the database error screen several times today when coming to the site.
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spogatz View Post
    I got the database error screen several times today when coming to the site.
    That may because of the search re-indexing I was doing. It was pretty labor intensive on the server.
    AT Troll (2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    When I bring up the WB home page, the "Log in with Facebook" indicator overlays the "User ID" - no matter how I try to get around it, I'm always prompted with my FB log-in. I got in now by going to this thread, hitting "reply," and responding to the message that I must first log in to reply. It's an end run but for me, the only way unless I want to log in on FB. Maybe I will sometimes but suppose I wasn't a FB user?
    I'm having the same problem Attroll. The Face Book, Notification, Profile & my login name overlay each other. The Log In is clear on my PC but those 4 overlay each other and cannot be used as is.

Journal Entries

I'm gradually finding most that I use. I do miss "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts." Is it really no longer available?

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    I'm gradually finding most that I use. I do miss "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts." Is it really no longer available?
    I miss this feature as well. I have tried commenting about it on another thread, but to no avail. I hope they can revive this feature; it was extremely helpful.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    I miss this feature as well. I have tried commenting about it on another thread, but to no avail. I hope they can revive this feature; it was extremely helpful.
    A preliminary search indicates it was removed from Version 4 but there is a mod that might work to replace it. I have given the link to ATTroll and hopefully he can implement it.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++