WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl
    to me its like Kanga said. this is how they like it. come down off your hiker pedestal and relate to people for who they are, not whats on there back. how this could bother you to the point of venting is funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by litefoot 2000 View Post
    As usual, you totally missed the point.
    I thought he nailed it right on the head ...
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

That's exactly how I felt hiking on the JMT last year. People had such enormous loads and were struggling so hard under them. They'd make all kinds of comments to me even though I was totally minding my own business and not even saying or doing anything. It was really annoying. I felt like I was on a totally different planet.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChillyWilly View Post
    I thought he nailed it right on the head ...
    LOL Thank You, it funny how these idiots criticize people about HOW they are hiking and not just supporting the fact they ARE hiking.
    Why can't we be friends?
    Sometimes I don't speak too bright
    but yet I know what I'm talking about
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    Remember, life is a learning experience. When it comes to backpacking you may be farther along the learning curve than they are. And don't worry about being different, that's not a bad thing. Just find ways for you to enjoy your life and let them do the same. If they stick with backpacking I bet they'll learn the leasons that you already have.
    Good post. One can give help/advice to others if needed/asked but other than that those that are out there doing their own thing aren't hurting anybody, so if they are having fun and enjoying themselves then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    Remember, life is a learning experience. When it comes to backpacking you may be farther along the learning curve than they are. And don't worry about being different, that's not a bad thing. Just find ways for you to enjoy your life and let them do the same. If they stick with backpacking I bet they'll learn the leasons that you already have.
    Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    Good post. One can give help/advice to others if needed/asked but other than that those that are out there doing their own thing aren't hurting anybody, so if they are having fun and enjoying themselves then so be it.
    And you never know when one of those cell phones someone brought, or some other piece of gear that you may find yourself in need of and unfortunately elected to leave at home may come in very handy

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

Exactly, DapperD.

I get amused at thru-hikers sometimes. They feel entitled to the shelters just because they are thru-hikers, but don't want to carry a tent.

Have actually had a thru-hiker tell me I had to get out of a shelter, because she didn't carry a tent to cut down on weight.

After I told her that it sucks to be her, she got huffy and hiked on to the next shelter.......

Don't get upset when you are the one that isn't prepared.
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

Images

I saw MANY hikers hiking out of Damascus after trail days with huge packs. Some of the packs looked bigger than the girls carrying them. I would never want to endure that, BUT obviously they had been carrying the load for almost 500 miles by that point so kudos to them. I have been surprised many times with what others will carry, but then I have to give them props for doing so. For myself....the lighter the better but I definitely still carry my own comforts.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

I just make Monk carry it for me........
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

If they are complaining about their pack weight,than I totally understand how it would annoy you.

However, I am always amazed at how many UL hikers don't seem to appreciate that the fact that many backpackers hike in order to camp more [as opposed to camping in order to hike more].

I have tried using just a CCF pad. No thanks, I will bring the heavier inflatible pad with the extra cushioning.

I have tried using just alcohol stoves, wood stoves, cold food. No thanks, I love firing up the SVEA.

I do not need or want to hike far and fast. I am comfortable with my pack weight.

Please stop judging me

Journal Entries

i love your quote tinker

But we aren't judging. At least I wasn't judging anyone.

For example, I was just sitting there admiring the view drinking some lemonade and a couple of ladies rest-stepping with giant packs stopped to offer me unsolicited excuses why they were carrying so much stuff.

On the same trip, I was just hiking along enjoying a lovely morning of flat trail. I came to a creek and just walked across it. It was Bear Creek, one of the ones that are really super scary at some times of the year but it was just knee deep for me and easy. On the other side, I just continued hiking enjoying the morning. Some guys sitting next to the creek called out to me, "Hey, that didn't slow you down one bit!" So I came over to talk to them and they started commenting about my gear and how they had heavy gear because [insert whatever reasons here.] I never said anything to them about gear. I didn't even notice their gear or care.

It was like that for the entire trip, so after a while, I decided to start messing with people. I'd see some big strong dude laboring up some giant hill and I'd reel him in. When I got close, I'd hold my breath so I wasn't breathing too hard and say a cheery hello as I went by as fast and effortlessly-looking as I could muster. You should have seen how shocked some of these mountain men were at that.

But still, I never once gave anyone unsolicited comments about their gear. If they asked me about my gear and were truly interested in ultralight gear, I'd tell them about my gear and my footwear (chacos) and my clothing choices (skirt) or whatever they asked about. In my opinion, gear was a conversation I wasn't interested in having. I really wanted to hear some tales of people's JMT thru-hikes. The only thing anybody ever said was that they were going slow to savor the experience, but I couldn't get much more out of people than that. And I found it hard to believe they were savoring much of anything since most of them were looking down at their feet trudging while I was looking all around me and stopping every now and then to just look at the view, but who knows, maybe they were having a more fulfilling experience than me.

When I was hiking the PCT with the thru-hikers, tales of the experience and talk about food was all we ever did. I truly felt like I was on another planet on the JMT.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

So, good thing you didn't meet Minnie Smith on this trip. I don't think you'd recover.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    I do not need or want to hike far and fast. I am comfortable with my pack weight.

Please stop judging me
    It's a common refrain. Anytime someone posts about hiking fast there is a group of people who swoop in and basically start judging because some folks like to hike more than 10-15 miles a day and even though we insist that we see the same trail everyone else does somehow we're missing everything.

I have yet to understand how short hiking days, frequent breaks and long lunches translates into a better experience.

p.s. pretty cool how I snuck this in, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    It's a common refrain. Anytime someone posts about hiking fast there is a group of people who swoop in and basically start judging because some folks like to hike more than 10-15 miles a day and even though we insist that we see the same trail everyone else does somehow we're missing everything.

I have yet to understand how short hiking days, frequent breaks and long lunches translates into a better experience.

p.s. pretty cool how I snuck this in, huh?
    Hi 10-K,

I don't see where I was judging the UL hiking style. I have gained a lot of insight into what I bring and why. And I have adopted many UL/LW ideas.

I was noting how you see more UL posters venting about pack mules than pack mules venting about UL hikers.

I hope we can agree on a few items:

- short hiking days, frequent breaks and long lunches translate into a better experience for me

- long hiking days, infrequent breaks and quick lunches translate into a better experience for you

- if you are complaining about your pack weight, then you need to look at how much you are carrying and what your goals are

- if you are complaining about how much others are carrying [or not carrying] then you might be a bit judgmental and might want to just HYOH

Seriously, the OP is venting that other people were being nice and offering him food and the use of their gear [oh the horror]. Determining tone and intent on internet boards is tricky, but it almost seemed to me the OP was offended that they were going to taint his purer hike.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    But we aren't judging. At least I wasn't judging anyone.....

.....And I found it hard to believe they were savoring much of anything since most of them were looking down at their feet trudging while I was looking all around me and stopping every now and then to just look at the view, but who knows, maybe they were having a more fulfilling experience than me.....
    hahaha, love this, just made my day

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    Hi 10-K,

I don't see where I was judging the UL hiking style. I have gained a lot of insight into what I bring and why. And I have adopted many UL/LW ideas.

I was noting how you see more UL posters venting about pack mules than pack mules venting about UL hikers.

I hope we can agree on a few items:

- short hiking days, frequent breaks and long lunches translate into a better experience for me

- long hiking days, infrequent breaks and quick lunches translate into a better experience for you

- if you are complaining about your pack weight, then you need to look at how much you are carrying and what your goals are

- if you are complaining about how much others are carrying [or not carrying] then you might be a bit judgmental and might want to just HYOH

Seriously, the OP is venting that other people were being nice and offering him food and the use of their gear [oh the horror]. Determining tone and intent on internet boards is tricky, but it almost seemed to me the OP was offended that they were going to taint his purer hike.
    I wasn't talking about you Tom....

Images

I make it a point not to talk about gear and just enjoy my walk.

Unless you're still sleeping on the ground...
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

It's kinda "live and let live" out there. I don't blame you for registering your complaints and observations (I mostly agree) but all you can do is go your own way. Sometimes the Shelters are more of a "free country" than you want to cope with. Hike on.
    virgil

What is this "hiking" that you guys keep referring to???
    - Stephen Wright

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++