WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Shaw's!

Anyone care to admit that Old Man Shaw took their money playing horseshoes? I stayed there a couple of days and watched that sneaky fella play possum, blame a bad back, old age, and any other thing he could until he got enough money in the pot to play for real. I was laid up with some blisters and had a few slow mornings after breakfast I got to sit with Keith and get to know him a bit- one morning I called him out on the horseshoe games- as his swindling seemed so out of character; "I charge a fair price for beds, a fair price for food, and nothing for hospitality. I'm a fair an honest business person; but... if a fella wants to gamble- that's his own damn problem." And one of my favorites- "..don't pet that dog, he'll bite you in the nuts. I told a hiker last week, but he went an pet the dog, and the dog went and bit his nuts- don't know why Pat makes me keep em, but she does. (Under his breath and shaking his head- "running a damn hostel and got a nut bitter dog") One of the best places period- some of the best people around. One of the biggest character's I've ever met. Maybe a story about Pat's husband isn't much, but maybe you can pass it on. Fond memories (and scandalous stories) make for pleasant conversation.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Anyone care to admit that Old Man Shaw took their money playing horseshoes? I stayed there a couple of days and watched that sneaky fella play possum, blame a bad back, old age, and any other thing he could until he got enough money in the pot to play for real. I was laid up with some blisters and had a few slow mornings after breakfast I got to sit with Keith and get to know him a bit- one morning I called him out on the horseshoe games- as his swindling seemed so out of character; "I charge a fair price for beds, a fair price for food, and nothing for hospitality. I'm a fair an honest business person; but... if a fella wants to gamble- that's his own damn problem." And one of my favorites- "..don't pet that dog, he'll bite you in the nuts. I told a hiker last week, but he went an pet the dog, and the dog went and bit his nuts- don't know why Pat makes me keep em, but she does. (Under his breath and shaking his head- "running a damn hostel and got a nut bitter dog") One of the best places period- some of the best people around. One of the biggest character's I've ever met. Maybe a story about Pat's husband isn't much, but maybe you can pass it on. Fond memories (and scandalous stories) make for pleasant conversation.
    Keth Shaw was what I would call a damn smart yankee. Those of us who got to know Keth a little better than the average thru hiker who stayed at Shaw's know what I mean.
    Grampie-N->2001

I love Shaw's breakfasts, but there's tough competition from the Lakeshore house, which has a more traditional restaurant (deserts are to die for).
    Nice bag pipers on July 4th some years.

stayed at Shaw's this August (2013)--still a great place, hospitable, very hiker oriented, good shuttle service, very clean.

I just spent five, yes five, days at Shaw's, while my wife was supporting my hike. I have nothing but praise for this place. Thoroughly enjoyed my time there.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++