WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

Default The Roller Coaster (VA)

I noticed in the 2010 Thru-Hikers' Companion that the Roller Coaster section cryptically had added "(switchbacks coming!)" to its description.

Does this mean there will be a new routing of the AT through this section that turns some of it into switchbacks? Anyone know of any re-routing through this section?

I figured it MIGHT mean that once through this section, the hiker gets more switchbacks than straight climbs, but AFAIK that's not particularly true, nor does it specify whether that'd be true for NOBOs or SOBOs, so I don't think that's what it meant.
    --There is always more uphill.

The Roller Coaster is over-hyped. There's not enough elevation change for switchbacks with climbs of only a couple of hundred feet.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

The Roller Coaster is over-hyped. There's not enough elevation change for switchbacks with climbs of only a couple of hundred feet.
    That may well be; I've dealt with the rock scrambles in PA, NY, & NH. I was just generally curious about any planned re-routings of the AT, and why the Companion chose to mention this (it wasn't in previous editions).
    --There is always more uphill.

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RevLee View Post
    Agreed they kicked my butt but it was very hot, very humid, and it is an old, fat butt. Getting in and out of some of the gaps in PA are much worse. They are just not one right after another.
    Alcohol was involved!

++ New Posts ++