WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SOBO or NOBO for summer 2012

So, I'm hoping to get some good feedback....I'll tell you everything that I think might be useful, so there's probably going to be tons of stuff that's not useful at all.

Facts: 18 year old (5' 3'' 130 pounds)
    pretty in-shape, but not a huge amount of hiking experience (hiked more than the average person, but never with real packs)
    camped a ton
    I have from approximately May 8th to about August 25th (flexible, but I 100% cannot start earlier than May 8th)
    I had Runner's knees (patellofemoral syndrome) from playing tennis, but I'm doing well now

I'm not sure how much distance I could cover in that time, but I was wondering whether it would make more sense to go SOBO or NOBO for as far as I can. I have no particular attachment to either way, but hiking the AT has been something I've wanted do since elementary school. I was thinking from either point to the half-way mark would be reasonable? But that's a total guess-timate.

In conclusion: Would it make more sense to go South or North and how far could I expect to go? Please don't tell me to hike my own hike, I'd really like input from knowledgeable people so I can do this in the most efficient and logical way.

Thank you!

Images

may is to early to do SOBO. a flip flop might not be bad. june and july are bad months down south.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Do you think I could cover the whole trail in that time?

Images

its doable, but i don't hike in june or july. maybe others will chime in.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I'd just start at springer, the southern terminus, and hike north. If you're running out of time skip up from south-central VA to New Jersy

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

A thru in under 4 mos? I'd say it depends on how quickly you can get up to speed without trashing your knees. You'd have to average 19 miles per day. Doesn't allow many zero days. Or partying in town. See this, and check out the referenced link:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...fast-thru-hike
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

"Runner's knees (patellofemoral syndrome)" This seems to be the same as patellar chondromalacia which I have.
    Did you get physical therapy for this? If so, they showed you exercises to do. DO THEM!! Always!
    The exercises are strengthening the quadriceps and hamstring muscles, in balance. This gets everything in your knees in proper alignment. This is something that can come and go on its own, but there is the possibility of damage being done if things are out of alignment. So, do the exercises religiously. If you can avoid knee problems you could do the trail.

You're young, in shape, and not overweight. With some training, you can probably go pretty fast; as ChillyWilly says you need to average 19 miles/day. If you have hills where you live, do regular hiking up and down hills with a pack. With a light pack it'll be a lot easier to go fast enough to finish in the time you have. Aim for under about 10 or 12 lb (not counting food, water or fuel); this is a weight that isn't hard to get to without spending lots of money.

As which way to go, starting May 8 SOBO is too early; this year I don't think Katahdin was open to hikers by that date. Streams could be very high, there could be snow at higher elevations. June is possible but can be unpleasant in a bad bug year (look up black fly). July onward is good for northern New England. So, either go NOBO (hot in the south in June and July) or do a flip flop (north from Springer till it gets too hot then flip to Katahdin).

Have fun!

Thank so much for the link, that's exactly what I needed!

And yeah, I've had physical therapy, but I've been kind of bad about keeping up with the at home exercises, so yeah I definitely need to get better at that.

Thank you so much guys, you've been super helpful!

also remember a SOBO trip will be a lot lonelier, youll pretty much be out in the wild on your own for days or weeks. I prefer sticking loosely with a bubble so that you can have quiet days and good conversation at night!

Start in Damascus, Virginia and hike north. You'll be amongst a bunch of other long distance hikers (the middle of the NOBO thru-hiker pack will be in southern Virginia in early May) so you may make some good friends to hike with for the summer. Then just see how far you get.
    Last edited by map man; 07-08-2011 at 01:17.

++ New Posts ++