WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I was afraid that my toes would not have as much protection against getting stubbed on rocks and roots. What I found after switching to trail running shoes was that due to the lighter weight, I wasn't stubbing my toes nearly as much as with heavier boots. I might go back to hiking boots for hiking over long stretches of sharp rocks, to protect the soles of my feet, but otherwise, I'm sold on trail runners.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I just made the switch to trail runners this spring, having found a pair of vasque velocities on clearance. I added the green superfeet I already had and after breaking them in, used them backpacking for the first time on a 150 mile section hike. I'm by no means an ultralight hiker, average total pack weight for the trip was 35-40 pounds, long story short, my review is: "where have you been all my life?" The trip included all of the typical terrain in the northeast from moderate trails to mountains, swamps to boulder scrambles and exposed ridgeline and included several decent river crossings. The two most surprising advantages I found were 1) I had far more dexterity than I have had in my previous boots (vasque and scarpa goretex models) which actually resulted in less rolled ankles and knee problems and 2) the trail runners dried out so much faster that they seemed better in the rain and through rivers than the heavier boots ever did. I still have my heavy pair of scarpas which I intend to use in winter and late shoulder seasons, but I'm sticking with trail runners for 2-3 season use.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

Ankle support is somewhat of a myth. IF you lace a high-top boot up all the way and tightly, yes it could help, but it would be uncomfortable too. A mid boot offers nothing but ankle protection, and a little less debris inside the shoe. I carry only 15-30 lbs , trail shoes work great. Get the lightest ones you can that fit well, you probably want a rock plate in the sole. the big benefits of lightweight trail runners are 1) light weight and 2) quick drying. Wear wool socks and walk right thru water, will dry in an hour or so without a lot of internal padding to soak up the water, and while it is wet the wool socks do their job. Also lightweight and comfortable enough you dont need water shoes or camp shoes. More weight savings.

Garlic
    Images

I think it's a sign of change that there have been 20+ posts on this topic in support of running shoes. Ten years ago probably would have seen a different response. I have definitely changed my mind in ten years. I keep an old pair of boots around for wet snow and trail work, otherwise I never wear them for walking. My walking has increased ten-fold with a tenth of the problems and pain.

It's not a guarantee that running shoes will improve your hiking, but it's a pretty good bet. It's fun trying it. My first hikes with running shoes were careful affairs, but after a hundred miles or so I was sold on them. I'll back up what Piper says, that even watching someone hike in boots is painful--it doesn't even look like walking.

One caveat--it took me nearly 2000 miles on a thru hike to find the exact right pair for me, which are the NB8XX series (they come in three widths). The EE size is perfect for me and none others I've tried are absolutely painless like these are. A few are lucky enough to find the right fit right away, but don't give up if you don't.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I went through the same evolution from boots to trail runners to sandals (Chacos). I'm 56 and a section hiker, and have 300+ AT miles in my sandals. I had the same feelings about ankle support that you had but found the lighter footwear was immeasurably more comfortable and light, letting me hike further every day. To your concern of stubbing toes, one of the responders mentioned that you walk differently - yes, you do adopt a style of walking that is more "directed". I've only had one bad experience in my sandals where I caught a loose root in between my sandal and foot, and down I went. For me, sandals are the most comfortable hiking footwear I've ever used. I think you do have to be careful with your pack weight though - I carry about a 35 pound pack.

Ever watch Cody Lundin's Dual Survival? He's a barefooter and often talks about the different walking style you adopt. Although his buddy frequently complains about his slowness!
    Last edited by BigToe; 06-25-2011 at 12:39.
    BigToe
    Men have become the tools of their tools.

Images

I recvently bought a pair of Salomon mid hiking boots. They are 11 oz. per shoe, and I have very weak ankles. After trying many boot-runner alternatives, I have settled on using the Salomon with ankle braces. Still much lighter than my Asolo boot-which by the way never dry out once they ge twet....

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Ankle support is somewhat of a myth. IF you lace a high-top boot up all the way and tightly, yes it could help, but it would be uncomfortable too. A mid boot offers nothing but ankle protection, and a little less debris inside the shoe. I carry only 15-30 lbs , trail shoes work great. Get the lightest ones you can that fit well, you probably want a rock plate in the sole. the big benefits of lightweight trail runners are 1) light weight and 2) quick drying. Wear wool socks and walk right thru water, will dry in an hour or so without a lot of internal padding to soak up the water, and while it is wet the wool socks do their job. Also lightweight and comfortable enough you dont need water shoes or camp shoes. More weight savings.
    MuddyWaters, I'm curious as to what kind of shoe you wear. I'm making a list of all the recommendations in this thread and gonna try them out at REI or order them at Endless or Zappos.

Everyone else, if I'm going on a 5 to 10 day hike after not having hiked regularly, would you still recommend trail runners? The overwhelming majority seems to prefer trail runners over boots, but I'm wondering if this majority is a group of through hikers that has put in the miles and buffed up their ankles. I for one am not a through hiker (one day, God willing) and have not buffed up my ankles, so I'm wondering if it's wise for me to go with trail runners.

I guess one solution I've picked up from this thread is to stick with the trail runners and use ankle braces and gaiters. If so, what's a trail runner with a rigid outsole?

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

If you're going on a 5 to 10 day hike after not having hiked regularly, then a shoe wins over a boot even more. Wear your boots for ten days after not having worn them much, and blisters and other problems are practically guaranteed. No guaranty that you won't have problems with shoes, either, but I'll bet the problems will be fewer and less severe.

BigToe, I've also switched from trail runners to Chaco sandals. I have backpacked more than 300 miles in them and day hiked many times. I've surprised myself in being able to hike portions of the John Muir Trail and PCT, weather than included snow and rain, trail that had leftover snow on it, roly-poly potato-sized rocks, and a couple of almost 30 mile days.

I'd recommend trail running shoes to anyone new or returning to hiking/backpacking after a long time away way before I'd ever recommend boots. The only thing you need boots for is winter and snow/ice hiking where you need real crampons. As for brands, I'd worry less about brand names and just get some that have a wider toebox than you are used to. You'll probably have to try a few different brands or models before you find the right ones, but make sure to start out at least a size larger than you are used to. Don't overlook street running shoes, either. Many of them have an adequate tread for forest trail hiking and if there's enough "stuff" (plastic? leather? rubber?) around the edges of the shoe, they'll last as long as most trail running shoes. I completed the PCT from Snoqualmie Pass to Canada wearing street running shoes and had no trouble.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

If it's a myth that boots don't really protect against ankle sprains then maybe the ski industry will change over to ski-shoes.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Downhill ski boots are all about edge control. Being able to shift your knees and having that action transmitted directly to the skis, setting them on edge to affect a turn. And no one likes walking in them! OTOH, cross country skiers do use a variety of boots that offer minimal ankle support, including low cut shoes.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

I have had issues with rolling my ankle after back surgery for a major disc herniation 18 months ago, I would roll my ankle for no reason while walking on flat ground. After rolling my ankle multiple times while snowshoeing this past winter my Physical Therapist suggested I purchase a solid ankle brace with plastic stays supporting the ankle. I was able to order the Darco Web Brace for a decent price, I love it and would not be able to hike a simple hike without it. The brace is easy on easy off and extremely comfortable. My ankle rolls are due to a neurological deficit effecting my left leg. I wear trail runners with the brace and I have had no issues. Impossible to roll the ankle with the plastic stays in place. For people with weak ankles a low key brace will make all the difference providing total confidence.

I used boots for my first two section hikes but after switching to New Balance 479 trail shoes I have neveer regretted it. This will be my forth seciton hike in NB trail shoes and I will never go back.

Switched from boots....to mids....to trail runners. Wish I had sooner.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

One caveat to all this is make sure the shoe fits. A good fitting boot is better than the nicest trailrunner that doesn't fit.
    I have yet to find a trailrunner that fits me as well as my Asolos (despite trying on shoes at every outfitter from Neel's Gap to HF this year). For all the comments at the start that I would have horrible boot injuries (blisters, sprained ankles, etc), I didn't have a single shoe related injury while many of the boot-haters were covering their blistered feet in wads of duct tape by the time we hit the Smokies. This isn't to say that boots are better than trailrunners; just make sure whatever you get fits and fits WELL.
    KBO, Ducky

Switched from trail runners to boots...got tired of spending all that money replacing shoes every 6-12 months
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    Switched from trail runners to boots...got tired of spending all that money replacing shoes every 6-12 months
    I estimate the cost to be at least 2x that of wearing boots. I like to use trail shoes on day hikes, but prefer boots on actual backpacking trips.

One thing that no one has mentioned here is what kind of load you are putting on your feet. Not just pack weight but body weight as well. Most running shoes are engineered for people of about 180lbs or less. For this reason I wear my Kayland contact revs in a 14. Yes people have come over from Cuba in things smaller than that but it works for me. I am 6'3"" and weigh in at about 300lbs give or take a biscuit or two. With a 30 -35lb pack that is a lot of mass on the feet. I run in trail runners only about 3 miles 3 times a week and tend to wear them out pretty quick. I would be afraid of trying an extended backpacking trip with them. The most important thing mentioned is fit find a shoe or boot that fits and can handle the load.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    If it's a myth that boots don't really protect against ankle sprains then maybe the ski industry will change over to ski-shoes.
    Ever try walking in downhill ski boots? They are calf-height plastic with no flexibility at all. Sure, they protect your ankles -- but skiers blow out their knees instead. Sheesh.

To the OP: I switched from heavy solid leather boots to trail runners in April, 2000. I was still carrying 40 pounds back then, and it worked just fine. The difference in how I felt at the end of the day was indescribable. No more leaden feeling in my quads and calves. A spring in my step after 12 miles of hiking. Now I carry more like 25 pounds on any given hike, and wear really light mesh trail runners (Salomon XA Comp), and I'm totally happy. Won't ever wear boots again.

Worth a try.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Ever try walking in downhill ski boots? They are calf-height plastic with no flexibility at all. Sure, they protect your ankles -- but skiers blow out their knees instead. Sheesh.
    In Ski Patrol, we see a lot of boot-top fractures of both the fibula and tibula (yeeesh)
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++