WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Thoughts on Switching from Boots to Trail Shoes

I always wear boots while backpacking. I had one ankle sprain six years ago (not while hiking) and virtually every
    hike I find that my boots seemingly prevent me from rolling my ankles. I don't consider myself highly prone to
    ankle sprains, but I have had one pretty good sprain.

I've occasionally seen people hiking in trial shoes.

Recently, I did a long day hike (about 15 miles) in tennis shoes. I was willing to try this because I was not carrying
    anything but food and water, and I reasoned my legs would not become as fatigued as they would if I were carrying
    a pack.

It really worked out well. I would want thicker soles if I were doing this long term.

My shoes are about half a pound each whereas my boots are probably more than 2 pounds
    each. It would really be nice to reduce my feet weight as that would reduce strain on all
    my joints.

Does anyone have experience or expertise on the risk associated with switching from boots to trial shoes. I figure
    a good ankle sprain while hiking would end the hike for me and at least one hiking companion that would stay back
    with me. I'd then have to hobble off the mountain after whatever rest I could manage depending on time available
    and proximity to water.

On the other hand, lighter trail shoes might reduce fatigue such that I'm less likely to need ankle support.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    I always wear boots while backpacking. I had one ankle sprain six years ago (not while hiking) and virtually every
    hike I find that my boots seemingly prevent me from rolling my ankles. I don't consider myself highly prone to
    ankle sprains, but I have had one pretty good sprain.

I've occasionally seen people hiking in trial shoes.

Recently, I did a long day hike (about 15 miles) in tennis shoes. I was willing to try this because I was not carrying
    anything but food and water, and I reasoned my legs would not become as fatigued as they would if I were carrying
    a pack.

It really worked out well. I would want thicker soles if I were doing this long term.

My shoes are about half a pound each whereas my boots are probably more than 2 pounds
    each. It would really be nice to reduce my feet weight as that would reduce strain on all
    my joints.

Does anyone have experience or expertise on the risk associated with switching from boots to trial shoes. I figure
    a good ankle sprain while hiking would end the hike for me and at least one hiking companion that would stay back
    with me. I'd then have to hobble off the mountain after whatever rest I could manage depending on time available
    and proximity to water.

On the other hand, lighter trail shoes might reduce fatigue such that I'm less likely to need ankle support.
    Like Nike says, Just do it! And by the way they (Nike) makes a great trail shoe! I sprained an ankle pretty bad in high school and it gave me a fit for years. Actually seemed worse when wearing a boot. Trail runners, " best decision I ever made".
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

The jury's still out for me. I switched to a pair of Vasque Velocity (yes, they are crap) with SuperFeet inserts and ditched them after about 300 miles. Killed my feet. I still want to try it again with a pair of Salomon XA Pro 3D XCR, or even some ASICS GEL-Trabuco® 14.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    The jury's still out for me. I switched to a pair of Vasque Velocity (yes, they are crap) with SuperFeet inserts and ditched them after about 300 miles. Killed my feet. I still want to try it again with a pair of Salomon XA Pro 3D XCR, or even some ASICS GEL-Trabuco® 14.
    I'll take this as a recommendation for my purposes. I presume if I can live without the ankle support of boots, I can find shoes with adequate soles. Although this brings up a good point about needing to get the right trail shoe.

Images

I dont really think boots give you much more ankle support, but I still prefer them to protect my ankles for scrapes and abraions., and they certainly keep the duff out easier than trail runners,

I used Montrail Continental Divide for 3 years then tried Vasque Boots for a week long hike on the AT in VA last Fall, worst hiking mistake I have made!! Took them back to REI when I returned, got full refund and bought a pair of Salomon XA Pro 3D GTX trail shoes, seem to be working well (on sale at REI today for $99, I paid $128). I would have stayed with Montrail but of course the Continental Divide is no longer made and the Montrail Hardrock is a mere shadow of the shoe it was before Columbia bought them out. I use hiking poles and can easily dig in with my poles if I feel my ankle start to turn, so the sprain concern is not a biggie for me. I like the weight of trail runners, probably the #1 reason I originally switched. Feet are such a personal preference thing, all I can say is don't skimp on shoes and buy good socks, they are what will take you many a mile, good luck.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I hike in just standard nike pegasus running shoes. works for me

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgetreks View Post
    I used Montrail Continental Divide for 3 years then tried Vasque Boots for a week long hike on the AT in VA last Fall, worst hiking mistake I have made!! Took them back to REI when I returned, got full refund and bought a pair of Salomon XA Pro 3D GTX trail shoes, seem to be working well (on sale at REI today for $99, I paid $128). I would have stayed with Montrail but of course the Continental Divide is no longer made and the Montrail Hardrock is a mere shadow of the shoe it was before Columbia bought them out. I use hiking poles and can easily dig in with my poles if I feel my ankle start to turn, so the sprain concern is not a biggie for me. I like the weight of trail runners, probably the #1 reason I originally switched. Feet are such a personal preference thing, all I can say is don't skimp on shoes and buy good socks, they are what will take you many a mile, good luck.
    Thanks for the input. I also use trekking poles and that should be my first defense against sprains (the second being to just fall down).

Images

When I was growing up I didn't have hiking boots, just my Keds or whatever brand tennis shoes I had, and never had a problem rambling the hills with or without carrying any gear. My bet is that a lot of you did too, and that more miles in the woods have been logged with canvas rubber soled shoes than any boots. I don't find that boots help my ankles and they are heavier, and slower to dry out when wet, and more difficult to take off and put on. The trail shoes now have much better tread for slippery places and much better cushioning for my feet. Anybody can sprain an ankle by stepping into an unexpected hole or a log that roles underfoot while wearing boots.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I dont really think boots give you much more ankle support, but I still prefer them to protect my ankles for scrapes and abraions., and they certainly keep the duff out easier than trail runners,
    Fly,
    I'm learning as I go here as well. Old school boy here, always had boots since I was 14 and started this high adventure stuff. Even today I will wear my Kaylands for 2 or 3 days weekends. That said and understanding how my older body now works (it's not 19 anymore) I have come to realize that weight on my feet (2-2.5 pds per boot) has got to get lighter. I wear my Merrels all the time around town, at the house and day hikes with the dogs. I'm sticking with them when I do my thru-hike in a couple years. I have also had some success with Keens, until one pair blew out with only like 50 miles on them.

Anyways, do some research on the lighter trail shoes and save yourself some weight.

For me, the minor loss in support is worth the loss in weight and gain in comfort. Montrail makes some pretty strong soled and toed trail runners, such as the mountain masochist. Also, I feel that rolling your ankle, or getting injured in general has more to do with awareness than gear IMO.

Little by little, one travels far. - J.R.R. Tolkien

Hike smarter, not harder.

A pound on the feet is like 7 on the back. And lightening your pack helps with ankle sprains too. If you really need ankle support, ankle braces give about a 1000 times more ankle support than boots. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the ankle support of boots is the #1 urban myth of hiking. Having said that, I did order the first pair of hiking boots I will have had in years. STP had Innov-8 240s on sale for $39, had to try them.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

I'll let you know how it works for me. I have just switched from Asolo boots to the Salomon xa pro. I think the weight alone will be worth the switch. I am off to hike for 4 days next week, so I'll let you know how my feet feel about the change...

The thing you need to realize is that if you are going to a minimalist shoe (trail runner, running flat, VFF) your feet will need time to adjust especially when carrying a pack. get your feet used to spending long hours in whatever you are planning to use on the trail before you put on a pack.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    A pound on the feet is like 7 on the back. And lightening your pack helps with ankle sprains too. If you really need ankle support, ankle braces give about a 1000 times more ankle support than boots. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the ankle support of boots is the #1 urban myth of hiking. Having said that, I did order the first pair of hiking boots I will have had in years. STP had Innov-8 240s on sale for $39, had to try them.
    Yep.... I wear trail runners and wear one of these on my left ankle due to an old injury. The elastic brace provides about 1000x more support than boots ever did.

21SeUg5gziL._AA300_.jpg

You know why people who wear boots swear they protect them from ankle sprains every trip they go on? It's because whenever they are wearing boots, they roll their ankles pretty badly.

Next time you are walking behind someone wearing boots, watch how often they ram into giant rocks or roll their ankle or basically pay absolutely no attention to what they are walking on. Then walk behind someone in running shoes and watch how smooth and cleanly they walk, how they don't roll their ankles or ram into big rocks. It's because when you wear the boots, it makes you clumsy and clunky. Shoes are so much better than boots. You want ankle abrasion protection and to keep the stuff out, get some Dirty Girl gaiters or get some high tops.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I switched from boots years ago. I now wear trail runners, low hikers, whatever... the actual name or style is less important than good fit. The comfort and weight savings are worth getting a bit more dirt in your shoes.

In my completely unprofessional, untrained, uninformed, but practical experience and opinion that you can take or leave, a boot that will actually immobilize your ankle enough to prevent sprains will prevent you from walking, too. Think of a downhill ski boot. Years ago, when ski boots started getting higher and stiffer, the injuries moved further up as well... instead of broken/sprained ankles, blown out knees became the usual skiing injury.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by House of Payne View Post
    Fly,
    I'm learning as I go here as well. Old school boy here, always had boots since I was 14 and started this high adventure stuff. Even today I will wear my Kaylands for 2 or 3 days weekends. That said and understanding how my older body now works (it's not 19 anymore) I have come to realize that weight on my feet (2-2.5 pds per boot) has got to get lighter. I wear my Merrels all the time around town, at the house and day hikes with the dogs. I'm sticking with them when I do my thru-hike in a couple years. I have also had some success with Keens, until one pair blew out with only like 50 miles on them.

Anyways, do some research on the lighter trail shoes and save yourself some weight.
    Thanks for the input. Looks like you're about the same age I am. I wore boots for a 12 mile walk along roadsides recently to just get myself more used to them. My feet were absolutely aching by the time I was done. Much worse than they were after 14.5 miles on the AT with running shoes (and that counted Dragon's Tooth).

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

My orthopedist told me that I was better off with trail runners than boots. He said that the ankle is a multi-directional joint and boots restrict the proper motion causing knee, hip and back problems.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbrown View Post
    I'll let you know how it works for me. I have just switched from Asolo boots to the Salomon xa pro. I think the weight alone will be worth the switch. I am off to hike for 4 days next week, so I'll let you know how my feet feel about the change...
    Make sure you send me an update. My next AT hike, probably 4 nights, will probably be September. I hope to have some sort of trail shoe by then.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++