WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How often do they replace the sign on the summit of Big K?

I've browsed dozens and dozens of pictures of hikers at the summit of Katahdin, and in some pics, the sign looks almost brand new, and in others, it's all beat to hell and carved up with layers and layers of initials and graffiti.

Anybody know how often it gets replaced? Do they do it every summer when the mountain opens?

Just curious, if somebody can put me some knowledge.

Thx!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstone View Post
    I've browsed dozens and dozens of pictures of hikers at the summit of Katahdin, and in some pics, the sign looks almost brand new, and in others, it's all beat to hell and carved up with layers and layers of initials and graffiti.

Anybody know how often it gets replaced? Do they do it every summer when the mountain opens?

Just curious, if somebody can put me some knowledge.

Thx!
    It's replaced whenever it "gets all beat to hell and carved up with layers and layers of initials and graffiti." Which is every 6-10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    It's replaced whenever it "gets all beat to hell and carved up with layers and layers of initials and graffiti." Which is every 6-10 years.
    That is a part of the AT that amazes me. I would think that after my 20 years of watching (the AT anyway) that things would have gotten better, with education and an understanding of sharing the woods. Instead the opposite has happened. Every shelter is covered in graffiti, and not just the old way with charcoal but by hikers carrying damn majic markers. Every sign is vandalized. Rocks are spray painted even more than 20 years ago. I understand there are a lot more people on the corridor, but how did we fail to teach? What is this mentality from?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

They replaced it in 2009. In my photo (SOBO), the sign is old and battered. In most of the NOBO photos, the sign is new.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Rocks are spray painted even more than 20 years ago.
    Replacing rocks is more laborious than replacing signs and they don't get replaced as often.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I understand there are a lot more people on the corridor, but how did we fail to teach? What is this mentality from?
    I usually see at least one Norfolk Southern freight train pass by me every day. Never do I see a train without cars that haven't been vandalized by people who apparently fancy themselves artists. Often the entire train save for the locomotive(s) is defaced.

I don't know who taught these people to act as they do. Maybe it's simply a matter of monkey see, monkey do.
    Last edited by emerald; 06-27-2011 at 05:53.

++ New Posts ++