WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Hitting the trail, because it makes sence.

My brother and I are very close. He is 25, I am 24. He recently found that his wife of three years has not been faithful to their marriage. When I heard the news, I told him I'd be there for him no matter what. He is very heart broken. We were at our father's house on Father's day, and we were watching a PBS program on the AT. We went outside to let the dogs out, and I said to him I could see the trail in his eyes. He said you're right. So here is the story... We are going to get our gear together, and start doing day hikes until the second week of July. Then, he, myself, his two Austrailian shepherds, and my hound mix will get on the Trail at Rockfish Gap, just outside of Waynesboro, and head North. We plan to hike until it gets too cold. We are thinking we may make it to Katahdin, and possibly start heading south. We have done a week hike when we were in highschool. We aren't quite experienced hikers, but are very excited to get out, and bring healing to our lives. We are thinking we will just get supplies along the way in towns. We are also thinking we will not bring stoves, and just cold hike. We will use one tent for us and the dogs. Our dogs will have packs for their food and water. We will use a pump purifier. We will keep water bladders in our packs. We think we may stop hiking by mid October. I am saying all this, looking for tips and suggestions. I believe we are planning the best we can now for such short notice, but I would love to know more details Of what we should do. P.s. I just finished reading A Walk In THe Woods. Haha. Great book!

I've heard some stupid reasons to go hiking, that's about as good as any.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Thank you. Do you have any suggestions?

Yeah, you live right next to the trail. 75% of those on here envy that. Go hike 5 days see if you are a quitter like Bryson or if it makes you want more. Then hike 2 weeks, see if your brother is tired of you yet and misses his cheating wife.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Hash House Harrier

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Go hike 5 days see if you are a quitter like Bryson or if it makes you want more.
    +1 to this. Shakedowns are great to test both body and mind. Set aside a week or so, hike in one direction for a few days, then resupply and hike back. Logistically, that's the bulk of the experience, so if you can properly negotiate a resupply stop, your gear feels good, and you still have the desire, you're ready.
    Though much is taken, much abides, and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts.

And bringing THREE dogs with you? At least you won't be too far from home when you two realize that wasn't a bright idea. (It's the summer heat and relative lack of frequent (and easy to get to) water sources going north which will be hard on both you and the dogs).
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I'd rethink the "no stove" part. I find nothing better, even in the summer, than a warm supper and hot chotolate or coffee. It warms the soul and it sounds like your brother might appreciate some soul warming. You would only need one stove between you and I'd pick a small, "pocket rocket-type". Fuel will be easy to find.

You might find it easier not to bring the dogs. It's a little much to ask of dogs to do such a long hike. A week or two sure, but months and months? Just think how hard it is for you and then times it by dog years.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Well, certainly after a week hike, you should be adequately prepared for 2100 more miles.Theres plenty of great sources of information on WB. I suggest you start clicking on the articles right away, as you may have missed one or two things in your preparation.There are plenty of stupid reasons(excuses) to go hiking. I try to find one as often as possible.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Screw these haters

go for it man. It'll be great. Just drive up to Khatadhin in the next few weeks and hike southbound--you can finish no problem.

No stove is great when it's hot outside. The last thing you want to do on a 85 degree night is crouch over a hot stove and eat hot food.

grape nuts, instant oatmeal, powdered milk, dried fruit, nuts, tortilla chips, energy bars, roasted soy nuts, protein or slimfast shakes, cheese, jerky, etc. Get whatever you're craving in town to supplement any holes in your trail diet.

Scott Williamson has hiked the 2,700 mile PCT 10-15 times, all with no stove/cooking. I've hiked a few thousand miles with no stove/cooking, and a few thousand more cooking over small fires.

As far as the dogs go, there's a pretty big learning curve with hiking--it's not really fair to put the dogs through your learning curve, and in the heat nonetheless. It's probably best to get someone to dogsit until you get back to Wayensboro, and take the dogs the rest of the way south from there once you know what you're doing and can take proper care of the dogs.

buy an online copy of the ALDHA companion trail guide here: http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm and you can print sections at libraries/hostels as you go.

Hiking will be great to bring healing to your lives, and if you want to do it the hiking will be easy--it'll be stopping that will bring the real challenges.

Just make sure your brother has his loose ends tied up before he leaves--make sure the future-ex-wife doesn't do anything nasty like empty out their bank account, total his car, etc. Really, you should probably have him write a check for the maximum tax-free gift ($20,000 still?) to you, and you can just pay for the thru-hike expenses for both of you, then give him the leftovers once you finish. It'd be a shame if the wife drained his account to get him off the trail.

If you enjoy hiking and want to do the trail it's easy as long as you have time, health, and money.

Images

Noones telling them not to hike. But if their expectations are based on Brysons book, theyll be off the trail just as quicklyAnd their idea of bringing a tent large enough to hold two full grown adults AND 3 dogs?A little preparation and good learnin here on WB is in order.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Go for it, but seriously rethink the dogs. Hiking with a dog is a whole different ballgame, hiking with multiple dogs is even harder. There is an article on this site titled something along the lines of "how to tell if your dog is ready for the trail" that outlines some of the very serious considerations you will need to deal with before bringing a dog long distance. If you don't believe me, just bring them along on a 2-3 night shakedown trip (once you are prepared for this) and you'll get an idea of what to expect.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Starting at Waynesboro in July you will really have to push to make it to Katahdin before it closes for the season in October, especially if you have the dogs with you.
    As others have siad, it would be better to leave the dogs at home. Better for them and better for you, because you will be slowed down by them. A group goes as fast as it's slowest member, and at least one of the dogs is likely to have problems with heat, sore feet, etc.

If you really believe you want to thruhike, I would go to Katahdin and start a SOBO hike. If you aren't sure, but just want some time in the woods to find out what it's like, you might start at Waynesboro, hike to southern PA, then if you are enjoying your hike, catch a bus north to Katahdin and begin a SOBO hike.

A lot of people do well on a cold diet. I'm one of those that really likes having more than a sandwich for dinner, plus I love my morning coffee, even if it is instant. I tried going cold once but went back to the stove after about two weeks. YMMV

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I've heard some stupid reasons to go hiking, that's about as good as any.
    You're such a pessimist lately....

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Oh and by the way... it's too hot to hike. I'm hanging up my pack until fall.

I think I'm going stick with running until it cools off. Running is also hot but it starts and then it's over - it's not a daily endurance thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You might find it easier not to bring the dogs. It's a little much to ask of dogs to do such a long hike. A week or two sure, but months and months? Just think how hard it is for you and then times it by dog years.
    They are young and ambitious, just like us.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceiscool View Post
    They are young and ambitious, just like us.
    Whiteblaze, like all internet forums, comes to a consensus about 1% of the time.

You have a lot to learn about long distance hiking. Until you learn to take care of yourselves on the trail it's not really fair to have dogs with you--to the dogs or to the other people around you. Dogs aren't built to deal with heat.

It seems the main concern is the and the possible lack of water for the dogs. If we were to start at Katahdin, and head south that should help with the heat. As far as water supply goes, is it scarce this year. We have a very wet season this year in VA. If there is enough water for people, and considering we take care of our dogs as if they are ourself, then I see no problem. If you are concerned if they are in the shape to do long distance hiking... They are in way more shape than I. We really are just going to take it easy and slow like a turtle. Who knows, in the time period we have, we may only make it to new york. I am not too concerned, but I guess. If you guys still are after I have stated this, then I will being your concerns to my brothers and parents, and seriously consider leaving them. Though, I believe they would bring a great deal of healing to my brother and I, and could also enjoy the experience themselves. Much love, Noah, the intrigued.

Main concern is the heat* and the......

Images

If you're intent on finishing the entire trail, then a little preparation is in order, and WB is an excellent source for it, although as noted above, theres hardl ever real consensus among us.
    If you really arent intent on finishing the trail,and you feel the dogs will help promote healing, then just do it. If you only end up doing the state of Mainer, and have found the healing you seek, then the journey will be a success.Its the journey, not the destination.
    Go hike. Heal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++