WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I've carried an old-style Fisherman model Swiss Army Knife for almost 30 years, but I have been looking at the Micra or Squirt S2.

Recent convert to the Kershaw Chill.
    Got one on amazon for $17. 2oz.

Journal Entries
    Images

At that price I question the strength of the steel.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

A Buck 309T 2inch blade

Spyderco Salt 1. Light weight and absolutely will not rust. Comes in a easy to spot yellow handle too.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    I had this guy: http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-297436.html Was pretty perfect (until I lost it)
    I used a razor blade taped duct taped inside of my data book my first go around on the AT. No problems and easily replaced. However, this looks really functional and super light weight. I want one!

Images

I just picked up a cool paring knife at the local Black and Decker outlet store. I has a pretty nice blade that is about 3 1/2 inches and good grip, it is sharp and comes with a plastic sheath that slides over the blade and locks in place. I found it in the cooking utensil section. They come in different colors (mine is bright green). The best part: It only weighs 1 1/2 ounce total. Should be good for cutting rope, spreading PB, cleaning under fingernails, etc; not in the same minute though
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Journal Entries
    Images

Everyone has an opinion about the plethora of choices of knifes... if I could I want to give you a synopsis of previous knife threads with my own take on the subject...
    1.there is no clear winner when it comes to knives.
    2. Gram weenies are all about razor blades & swiss nail clippers.
    3. most people take China knock offs that fail in the field... (Arron Rolston)
    4. ohh lets worry about whats legal in every state... knifes that are legal are so short why bother.
    5. a few here really want a bayonet and are clearly out of touch....
    6. every forgets to do a wood test to discover how strong the steel is.. ( I will explain)

OK on the AT everyone argues the need for a knife is not a factor, that cutting things up are a waste of time and unnecessary, A frequent post in knife threads. So here is my take, I want to make it clear I do not think a knife makes a practical weapon against others. Go learn Karate instead. I see it as a practical tool, if you loose a tent peg, you make another with a stick. In pouring rain you cut a fuzz stick to start a fire. Cut a rope, or use a knife for first aid. Below was one of my best finds in the field.

I was a big fan up to recently with Swiss knifes until I found the support pin is easy to snap and the blade goes dull when working with wood too fast. Later in the field I discovered the blades were 1" shorter than I liked. After purchase of the original Leatherman, I like the toughness of the steel, and the practical lock on the blade, but its too heavy for the trail... Don't need all those tools. Maybe the awl and saw, is practical. So now I am looking at one of the waves, possible the scissors and not the pliers.

Hope I didn't offend anyone... so get out and hike and break a nail.......

kinfe_original.jpg
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 08-18-2011 at 22:15.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I love my Leatherman Micra!!

I love my Columbia River Knife & Tool Folts Minimalist with Wharncliffe blade. I have yet to need anything more. If I'm planning to go way out into the boonies then I have a Mora #2 4.5" carbon steel fixed blade. My Folts Minimalist is going to be my thru-hike knife next year, though.

http://www.crkt.com/Folts-Minimalist...zor-Sharp-Edge

Journal Entries

This is what I carry.....at 330g it is a bit heavy but it is also for protection.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EICKHORN-INF...item2560c58487
    Tridavis

Images

Loews carries the Appalachian Trail knife brand. They are kinda cool if you like the chinese stuff.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

I carry a Bowen single edge knife belt http://www.bowenknife.com/ - have done so for 30 years (the same knife, different belts) and either a Victorinox (Swiss Army Super Tinker) or, for longer trips a SOG Multi Tool http://sogknives.com/store/tools.html I have carried the Leatherman, but the SOG is better made (especially the pliars). I gave up carrying a "long blade" years ago when I realized that it would generally find its way to the bottom of my pack, where it would stay until the trip was over.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Single edged razor blade.

I've carried a few different knives and never needed anything more than a sharp edge - which a SERB is sharper than most any knife. Weighs nothing too.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Single edged razor blade.

I've carried a few different knives and never needed anything more than a sharp edge - which a SERB is sharper than most any knife. Weighs nothing too.
    How do you spread your peanut butter or cut the cheese? ;>)

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PapaGarrettP View Post
    How do you spread your peanut butter or cut the cheese? ;>)
    Spread the peanut butter with my spoon. Cut the cheese with the RB. Or just bite hunks out of it as I eat, whichever is appropriate to the occasion.

CF97 > Everything Else.

Gerber Mini Paraframe it's just 1.4oz.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fireneck View Post
    Gerber Mini Paraframe[/URL] it's just 1.4oz.
    I have one of those. Could be the perfect trail knife...

--
    Chilly
    laughingdawg.blogspot.com
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

knife 004.jpg

Gerber LST- Lighter than a feather and just like a Chevy, "solid as a rock" I kinda know better than to say that but i did anyway.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by tridavis View Post
    This is what I carry.....at 330g it is a bit heavy but it is also for protection.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EICKHORN-INF...item2560c58487
    If you don't have training for knife fighting, carrying one for protection is mostly false security.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++