WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Socks, are they really necessary?

I'm talking about the expensive wool ones. Whatever hiking brand you choose, I've alsways wondered if they were a gimick. Anyone use plain ole gym socks?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Cotton socks? No way unless you love blisters. Take care of your feet and they take care of you and help you keep hiking.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Don't buy gym socks. Get yourself 3 pairs of expensive "hiking" socks. Use them only for hiking. Store them in your backpack so you don't use them for anything else. Don't buy cheap.

Panzer
    Last edited by Panzer1; 06-28-2011 at 15:55.

Images

I have the nice ones, have never hiked in cotton. I have just always wondered if I did, would it be so bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbrown View Post
    I'm talking about the expensive wool ones. Whatever hiking brand you choose, I've alsways wondered if they were a gimick. Anyone use plain ole gym socks?
    Don't skimp on socks. Your feet will hate you if you do.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I have the nice ones, have never hiked in cotton. I have just always wondered if I did, would it be so bad...
    If you had ever hiked any distance in cotton socks you would not have asked the question. Wet cotton socks and a long walk equals some messed up feet. Wet wool socks and a long walk equals a tolerable experience.

Images

One issue with cotton socks on a long hike are that they WILL get wet and will take forever to dry out. Synthetic material and wool dry out much quicker.

I love my merino socks, and will never go back to cotton for hiking. I have found that Darn Tough socks work best for me.

Well, if you ask Cody Lundin, socks-and shoes-are optional! But for most of the rest of us socks are necessary-to what degree they are needed depends on what sort of shoes we like and what season we are out in.

Cotton should be avoided. But many 'gym socks' these days are synthetic or even wool and can prove an inexpensive option if you find a brand you like. Look for flat toe seams and just enough cushion that you are not wallowing in comfort, you want to be able to feel the ground but not get bruised by rocks.

I like smartwool these days but I still use my old wigwam wool gym socks-I think they were called sport socks and were usually carried by sporting goods stores as well as rei, etc. They are mostly wool with a bit of nylon thrown in for durability.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

i use synthetic 1/4 length running socks

I used to wear poly sock liners and wool socks which worked fine, but eventually figured out that sock liners alone were fine and much cooler.

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

IMHO socks are much more important than shoes. I wear wool or wool-syn blend most of the year. Even in near freezing temps with my feet soaked it only takes a few mins. to warm back up. Hiking socks are also often sold in exact shoe size, I wear size 8 shoe I buy size 8 socks not socks made to fit 8-13. This means a whole bunch for comfort. during hot weather I tried some CoolMax socks and loved them they are pretty rumply now and I can't find them around here. Now I am hiking in simple nylon tube socks I got at Walmart. They are not much for cushioning, but do keep my feet dry and cover all the way up my calves to help with poison ivy and ticks.
    Alcohol was involved!

I use the REI merino wool low hiking socks that are something like $5. I practically wear them everyday because they are so comfortable. Spending $15-20 on 3 pairs of socks has worked well for me. I've yet needed to spend $15-20 on a single pair of hiking socks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nufsaid View Post
    If you had ever hiked any distance in cotton socks you would not have asked the question. Wet cotton socks and a long walk equals some messed up feet. Wet wool socks and a long walk equals a tolerable experience.
    And to me, wet synthetic socks and a long walk equals a more tolerable experience.

Costco has good wool socks available seasonally (fall-winter) at a great price. Other big box stores my be helpful as well. Wet cotton is like sandpaper, avoid at all costs. I find synthetics plasticy but others obviously prefer them. Your choice.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I use wool sress socks, 80% wool, 20% nylon, maybe 2% spandex, and as cheap as $2 a pair. Wear them on trail and off.

Journal Entries
    Images

Have to agree with another poster. I find socks more important then the boots. Merino wool light hikers, they are often on sale. In any event I'd rather pay 15 bucks to prevent rather then the cost of fixing and healing from blisters.

I use smartwool hiking socks. I paid about $9 a pair for them at dicks. I don't call that expensive at all. I prefer them over anything else on the market. They dry quickly and feel so good.

Images

Coolmax socks are what works for me in summer, but there is no extra cushioning. I've tried merino wool light hikers and smart wool as well, but both made my feet sweat like crazy and ended with blisters.

Nutbrown, had to chime in on this one. I think giving wool socks a try was one of the best and least expensive upgrades I made of my hiking gear. They don't even have to be expensive. At first I bought a couple of pairs of Smartwools that I paid the average price for but then last summer I found some North Face wool socks at TJ Max for 5 bucks a pair! Just keep your eyes open and there are deals on them out there. I now don't even own any cotton socks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++