WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Images

Great post. I've been hanging in the background doing lots of reading for several days but thought this was a good time to comment. I just finished a first aid/cpr course and they are against ever using a tourniquet. Direct pressure is the way to go. I saw many posts that suggest carrying a small role of duct tape. A piece of gauze and some duct tape could make an excellent pressure bandage.

Thanks for the post it's very helpful and detailed too. The only thing for me that's different is the cell phone because mine weighs about 4 oz and my new phone will weigh 6 oz but it just makes up for it in the cost savings as I want to stay in touch with my family and girlfriend while on the trail and it will be doubling as a camera with it's 5 megapixel resolution so even a disposable camera isn't much savings weight wise at 4-5 oz. So for an extra 1 or 2 oz I get calling, navigation, high res pictures and videos, and I can store way more than 27 pictures on my phone.

Images

Default What to Leave/ Bring on a prep hike....

My suggestion would be to overload yourself with food during a shakedown hike. When you are thru-hiking it is amazing how much food you can consume at any given time. I was always hungry no matter how much food i carried. Ditch the junk food and bring things such as pasta, nuts, dark chocolate, cheese, and anything that has a high calorie to weight ratio....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Tourniquets have the possibility of killing whatever limb you put them on, plus the person using them needs to know how to use it (i.e. loosening it every 15 minutes). What you need is a "blowout kit", similar to what is used by soldiers to treat gunshot wounds. They contain a clotting agent which will make a massive wound clot up within a minute or two.
    "Quick Clott" You can get it from the Duluth catalog.

Very good information for all of us new hikers....Thanks!

Good threads. I'm generally in agreement. It's important to keep the overall pack weight down. Even sacrificing comfort like having a heavier air-filled sleeping pad. For a couple of section hikes I took along a cell phone because I was alone. Generally, reception was poor or non-existent. Battery life then becomes a problem after a few days too without a charger. I think most people start out with a heavier pack and find out what is really needed.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default thanks for info

Just doing my final prep on what to take and what to leave home. Its good to get other prospectives from someone who's been there.
    Thanks good read. See you on the trail.

Thanks for all the great info!

I carry a small tracphone and I have service most places and have needed it.
    I had too much food,tossed the extra.
    Too many clothes,I am sending them home and have my lightest (read most expensive) clothes,sleeping bag w/silk liner and tarptent rainbow headed my way.
    My cookpot was too large,being replaced with a 0.9L titanium.4.93oz.Anything I want to heat up bigger then that I boil the water and add it to the dinner in a gallon ziplock.Instant stuffing...yummy.

The above will save me almost 7 lbs.Ouch....oh well,live and learn.

I am always finding ways to drop my pack weight and alot of good ideas here. I sure am guilty of bringing things that I have never used. Thanks and answered alot of my questions

Default tent or hammock

Which one did you use on your hike

One thing missing from the list (or I didn't see it).....a gun. Some people feel the need to carry one. They are heavy and unnecessary. Do us all a favor and leave them home.

I'll second the 'too many clothes'. I've gotten better - I'm committed to only one change of clothes for the AT.

TF
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Default for first aid kits

i like the clotting powder packs for bleeding as well, but some simple items to take to either help yourself or help others, benadryl, epi pen, immodium, motrin, tylenol.

Images

Wink How to stop bleeding in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    What will stop heavy bleeding in the field?
    I know this is an old post to be commenting on, but for the sake of anyone reading........

As a nurse/hiker/survivalist I can give you a few trail options to stop bleeding. Outside of the direct pressure, sport-clot, and tourniquet (which I advise against), there are a couple of options left for the minimalist/ultralight-er.

#1) Sugar- plain granulated sugar poured directly onto wounds helps to stop bleeding. The Glucose activates some of the clotting factors in the blood. NOT artificial sweeteners, and don't rub a Snickers in your wound.

#2) Spiderwebs- Any kind as long as they are "clean" (no bugs). The glucose and protein that webs are made from work the same way as the sugar.

#3) The styptic pencil. Virtually weightless and can be fit into any shaving or first-aid kit and can be found at any chain retail store with a "shaving" section.

Though none of these are instant nor do they work on spurting arterial bleeding... they DO greatly decrease bleeding time.
    The hand may be quicker than the eye, but it is often proven that the mouth is a thousand times faster than the brain!

Gipsy

as far as for what not to bring, I use the same principle for hiking as i do for kayaking. only bring something that has more than one use unless it is absolutely necessary. you wouldnt go hiking without shoes. Frisbee: fun and dining; socks: the obvious, hand warmers, make shift bags; etc... when you look at what you're bringing and think about how it can be used, there are things you can eliminate. why bring a plate when you can eat out of the pan?

I may be the only hiker who is not into "ultra lite." When I backpack I'm in no hurry. I take things to help me enjoy myself. I take a small weather band radio so I know what the weather is going to be like. I take almost a liter of water because I sweat quite a bit and go through water. I also take an iPod Touch that contains movies, games, books to read and music. I take extra batteries to keep it running. I take a tent because I like being able to talk to people at a shelter and then enjoy the privacy of my tent. My pack is a compfortable 33 lbs with food & water. I'm just more into enjoying myself with a little extra weight than being so proud of what I went without on my hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gipsy View Post
    I know this is an old post to be commenting on, but for the sake of anyone reading........

As a nurse/hiker/survivalist I can give you a few trail options to stop bleeding. Outside of the direct pressure, sport-clot, and tourniquet (which I advise against), there are a couple of options left for the minimalist/ultralight-er.

#1) Sugar- plain granulated sugar poured directly onto wounds helps to stop bleeding. The Glucose activates some of the clotting factors in the blood. NOT artificial sweeteners, and don't rub a Snickers in your wound.

#2) Spiderwebs- Any kind as long as they are "clean" (no bugs). The glucose and protein that webs are made from work the same way as the sugar.

#3) The styptic pencil. Virtually weightless and can be fit into any shaving or first-aid kit and can be found at any chain retail store with a "shaving" section.

Though none of these are instant nor do they work on spurting arterial bleeding... they DO greatly decrease bleeding time.
    I would imagine against more than one medical professional's advice; I used duct tape and a piece of my bandana to treat a huge gash in my leg while on a hiking / flyfishing trip in the GSNP. It got me thru 2 days, but hurt like hell to get it off at the doctor's office, but the wound had started healing nicely. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

1st post was directed here from a firearm forum that I frequent while searching for help/input on doing an AT through hike.

I thought maybe I could add in on the med gear.

If possible I would always carry a small bok/ifak (blow out kit/individual first aid kit)

Basic necessity to make it to a helo extract or just make it to safety period under heavy blood loss are:

-Israeli type compression bandage
    -Quick Clot in gauze form (better for wound packing less pain to remove).
    -CAT Tourniquet (or similar one hand operable combat tested tourney)

Learn how to use all three. I cant stress that enough learn how to use all three. Under heavy loss you could loose conciseness within 90 secs +- and being able to have fast access is vital. Generally the tourniquet will be applied immediately followed by wound packing the QC up into the bleed and finishing off with the Israeli as a compression bandage.

These 3 items are meant to be used on ones self by ones self (in the event of limb loss) or event where two hands arent there.

I know this may come off as more .mil and less "hiker" but it is what it is.

Great thread thanks for all of the info/input.

As far as where to get your supplies I recommend Chinook Medical Gear as thats who I generally buy from for myself.

-Israeli type compression bandage
    -Quick Clot in gauze form (better for wound packing less pain to remove).
    -CAT Tourniquet (or similar one hand operable combat tested tourney)

In the real world of thru-hiking you have to pick and choose what to carry. It is common to start the AT carrying everything needed to address any imagined situation. Thus coils of rope, sat phones, bear spray, huge survival knives, hatchets and large First Aid kits. These are the types of items that people end up sending home from the trail. Taking a good first aid course makes sense, but one will rarely if ever see supplies for treating a loss of limb at the end of a summer-long thru-hike.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++