WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead beat hiker

Note to self: "If you come to a shelter and see a teardrop tat, take your pack to the water source"
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Note to self: "If you come to a shelter and see a teardrop tat, take your pack to the water source"
    Might not be the same thing, but on gang members, that signifies that they killed someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    Might not be the same thing, but on gang members, that signifies that they killed someone.
    The teardrop tattoo or tear tattoo is a symbolic tattoo that is placed underneath the eye. This tattoo originated with Chicano gangs in California.[1] The meaning was that the wearer had killed someone. Since then, the meaning of the tattoo has, "strayed from its gang roots and is open to meanings."[2] Now, there are various meanings and variations of the teardrop tattoo, which can symbolize losing a loved one or spending time in prison.[1] It is also often used in prison to warn other convicts that the wearer has killed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teardrop_tattoo

Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    People can't buy things without proper money or credit anywhere I know of, you wouldn't give someone $200 worth of groceries in a store no matter how sweet or trusting they appear and accept their word they will repay you for it in a week or two because they can't at the moment. Nor will you be able to order and receive items online without proper credit and acceptable payment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Lots of people and businesses extend credit from bars to banks. Papa Smurf's credit line was his monthly VA check. Bottom line, he ran out without paying his obligation.
    While it is true that lots of people extend credit to other's, in this instance credit was extended on someone's word and their word of repayment alone. I don't know what bars do because I don't go in them anymore but as I remember a lot of times they would cash someones paycheck for them or other type of monthly income check in exchange for that individual usually spending some of that money there at their establishment. Banks last I knew do not give out money or loans to other's who do not have some type of established credit, income, collateral, or other known repayment method if and when the loan is not to be repaid back. If they were to loan money with a slim chance of repayment, they would not be in business for very long (look how many went under do to the morgage crisis). This individuals monthly VA check is not his "credit line". It is his monthly income. This individual did not present a Mastercard or Visa to insure his payment, any other reputable motel or hotel would require this. His only credit as far as I can tell was a "verbal reassurance/agreement" of repayment upon receiving his monthly VA payment. Now from what I understand, a verbal agreement can and has been upheld as legally binding in a court of law. It is possible a suit could be filed for repayment against him for this debt. But as I see it, no proper form of established credit was ever presented. Just someone's "word" that they would be honest and satisfy their bill. If a business owner accepts this individual at his word and accepts it to be true when in fact it is not, then they incur a loss. That is why most businesses do not do business this way, and only proper accepted forms of payment/credit are allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    People can't buy things without proper money or credit anywhere I know of, you wouldn't give someone $200 worth of groceries in a store no matter how sweet or trusting they appear and accept their word they will repay you for it in a week or two because they can't at the moment. Nor will you be able to order and receive items online without proper credit and acceptable payment.
    <BR><BR>
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Lots of people and businesses extend credit from bars to banks. Papa Smurf's credit line was his monthly VA check. Bottom line, he ran out without paying his obligation.
    While it is true that lots of people extend credit to other's, in this instance credit was extended on someone's word and their word of repayment alone. I don't know what bars do because I don't go in them anymore but as I remember a lot of times they would cash someones paycheck for them or other type of monthly income check in exchange for that individual usually spending some of that money there at their establishment. Banks last I knew do not give out money or loans to other's who do not have some type of established credit, income, collateral, or other known repayment method if and when the loan is not to be repaid back. If they were to loan money with a slim chance of repayment, they would not be in business for very long (look how many went under do to the morgage crisis). This individuals monthly VA check is not his "credit line". It is his monthly income. This individual did not present a Mastercard or Visa to insure his payment, any other reputable motel or hotel would require this. His only credit as far as I can tell was a "verbal reassurance/agreement" of repayment upon receiving his monthly VA payment. Now from what I understand, a verbal agreement can and has been upheld as legally binding in a court of law. It is possible a suit could be filed for repayment against him for this debt. But as I see it, no proper form of established credit was ever presented. Just someone's "word" that they would be honest and satisfy their bill. If a business owner accepts this individual at his word and accepts it to be true when in fact it is not, then they incur a loss. That is why most businesses do not do business this way, and only proper accepted forms of payment/credit are allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    because this ain't nothing new. stupid business owners posting their stupid mistakes.
    The only "stupid" postings I've read on this topic are yours. You've made your point, such as it is, so give it a rest.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Lightbulb Revive a good idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Haven View Post
    Birchy,

Dealing with the public as I do. I encounter human trash on a daily bases. With hikers there is some out there but the percentage is very small. I am going to guess less than 3%. The great people who are hikers out weigh the few hair brain kids that were not raised right, the street trash looking for an adventure or running from the cops. Then occasionally a few professional bums and panhandlers you find on the street corners in front of wine joints. I see more in one week being a motel owner stopping in wanting to free load than I see hikers in a whole year. When you see negative post about hostel and hotel owners posted you can usually bet it was posted by this human garbage who didn't get by with their thieving or wrongful activities. Thanks for posting this. It keeps good hikers from getting a bad name..
    England had a good idea a couple of hundred years ago...ship off the undesirable criminal element off to Australia. Once they got there, it was serve your sentence, work or not eat. The jerks that didn't go with the program, didn't last long. The ones that served their time often opted to stay, started families and became productive members of a frontier society (and learned how make really good beer! )

Any suggestions as to where we can ship the ship today's riff-raff, if we adopt this idea?
    Attached Images Attached Images

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Journal Entries
    Images

Lets keep this on track. It is starting to get off track.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

As I said before, I will continue to extend courtesy to any and all hikers. For example, if a hiker was to have a resupply box shipped to the hostel or some area, which by some chance contained travelers checks, and say it got lost in the mail. That hiker would still be welcome in our hostel, while they made arrangements to get that money and resupply. Too me, that is one of the problems with the world today, a persons WORD should mean something, especially those who have served in the military where HONOR is drilled into them. May be that is why it used to be called the HONOR SYSTEM. It is not so much the who or what, but the why. A dead beat hiker such as the one in question, is not really a hiker, but a vagrant thief who wanders the Appalachian Trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    As I said before, I will continue to extend courtesy to any and all hikers. For example, if a hiker was to have a resupply box shipped to the hostel or some area, which by some chance contained travelers checks, and say it got lost in the mail. That hiker would still be welcome in our hostel, while they made arrangements to get that money and resupply. Too me, that is one of the problems with the world today, a persons WORD should mean something, especially those who have served in the military where HONOR is drilled into them. May be that is why it used to be called the HONOR SYSTEM. It is not so much the who or what, but the why. A dead beat hiker such as the one in question, is not really a hiker, but a vagrant thief who wanders the Appalachian Trail.
    Tell that hiker to slap a delivery confirmation sticker on that package and it will never get lost!

just cuz someone is a vet doesn't mean they're automatically "cool" and worthy of praise and special treatment

Images

I for one am totally behind Birchy on this. Birchy opened his door to Papa Smurf and based upon his word would pay, instead he skipped. Birchy has the option of conducting his business as most business - credit card imprint, payment in advance or cash deposit. That would perhaps have a negative impact on his business relative to his customer base. He is not a hotel located at the Exit X off I XX.

As I read his original post, what I got out of it was his desire to warn others about this dead beat, plain and simple. We should all thank Birchy for taking the time to the warn us. He is not getting paid for that either.

Thanks Birchy

M. Bird

I'm getting quite sick of all of these complaints. You trolls must be very hard up for meaningful activity. I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction.

Papa Smurf is doing a flip flop. Please help me complete my hike: send postal money orders to: C. Gardner,General Delivery, Dalton, MA 01226 And thank you so much for those who have helped me with my hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Smurf#1 View Post
    I'm getting quite sick of all of these complaints. You trolls must be very hard up for meaningful activity. I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction.

Papa Smurf is doing a flip flop. Please help me complete my hike: send postal money orders to: C. Gardner,General Delivery, Dalton, MA 01226 And thank you so much for those who have helped me with my hike.
    money order is on the way! always glad to fund anothers' vacation w/ my money! enjoy!
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

How about Birchy? He helped in good faith you would pay him?
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

well done, shtick. just who are you really?
    Trillium

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Lets keep this on track. It is starting to get off track.
    That's what makes this website so interesting...all the members with slightly derailed minds!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    That's what makes this website so interesting...all the members with slightly derailed minds!
    Slightly?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Cool. Now maybe someone will call Rob Bird and Tom Levardi in Dalton and give 'em a heads up........

Being named "Self," I appreciate the heads-up...

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++