WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead beat hiker

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    yes i am, when you put your self in that spot you WILL be ripped off. GROW UP.
    Ouch, I'm glad this is just a cyberhiker talking. It's a sad day when a trail service provider gets ripped off and a hiker not only blows them off but tells them to grow up. I don't believe the trail has sunk that low yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    This.

I am a business owner and have a soft spot for vets. KK is WAY off base in this thread. OP is just warning others. It does concern me that Karl would look at me as a "mark".
    I'm an Iraq vet, and there is no way I would ask someone to stay at a hostel if I couldn't pay for it. If I was in that situation, I would ask for work for stay, if it wasn't available, I would leave. I don't even usually bring up the vet thing, first of all because I really didn't do all that much, and also because it usually doesn't relate to anything in a conversation. I am not ashamed of it or anything, but I generally won't bring it up unless asked specifically or the conversation is about the military.

Maybe Karl isn't any kind of hiker. Tourist maybe?

Moderator, perhaps something needs to be said to our friend Karl. His behavior seems abusive.

It is good to alert other people up the trail so they can be prepared It would also be good if you reported this to the ATC office. 304-535-6331 ext 128 Laurie Pottieger and call the Boiling Springs office

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    I'm an Iraq vet, and there is no way I would ask someone to stay at a hostel if I couldn't pay for it. If I was in that situation, I would ask for work for stay, if it wasn't available, I would leave. I don't even usually bring up the vet thing, first of all because I really didn't do all that much, and also because it usually doesn't relate to anything in a conversation. I am not ashamed of it or anything, but I generally won't bring it up unless asked specifically or the conversation is about the military.
    ...and folks like you are the reason I have a soft spot for vets.......... usa.gif
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    He produced his military service ID and his DD214, that's how I knew his real name
    Any Vet that carries around his DD214 on a hike is suspect to me. It is not something you need for anything in everyday life, so that alone should be a sign to others that the individual is trying to work the system.

birchy,

Thanks for trying to look out for Vets. I get ripped off from time to time and I will continue to get ripped off, because when in doubt, I help.

I believe KK is off a little on this one. He is right that it's your fault (we are all responsible for our own choices), but he is way off on the grow up thing. You tried to do the right thing, and are just passing the word to others.

Thank you

My DD214 is stored away in a lockbox. Vets don't need to be asking for anything nor advertising to the world their status. This is just my opinion. If talk about military service comes up, I'll usually engage the person(s) and thank them for their service. Maybe I'll buy them a beer...

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    My DD214 is stored away in a lockbox. Vets don't need to be asking for anything nor advertising to the world their status. This is just my opinion. If talk about military service comes up, I'll usually engage the person(s) and thank them for their service. Maybe I'll buy them a beer...
    yeah really. what is it with viet nam vets throwin' out the vet card?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Getting spit on and called a baby killer now look at todays Vets. They get thanks for their service. Maybe the Nam Vets are looking for one also.

What are "street seances"?

Images

in business we learn from our mistakes. take this as a learning experience and grow up, shut up and move on. it was YOUR fault.
    Dr john who?. every year we hear this whining of people that can't run a business. BO WHO. who cares. send the word on the hostel e-mail train, but i don't care. i also don't belief what happened, happened. are there police reports. if so post.
    the OP was whining..........................
    yes i am, when you put your self in that spot you WILL be ripped off. GROW UP.
    fine..... **** you too
    wow! you must have been hitting the sauce pretty hard & early yesterday.

i hope you were, as it would provide an explaination for your convoluted logic & combative attitude. for your sake, i hope that's not how your brain normally operates and processes information.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tigerpaw View Post
    What are "street seances"?
    i think that's when you try to summon the dead while standing on asphalt.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Birchy: Sorry this happened to you, and even sorrier to see people actually criticizing YOU for mentioning the situation. In any case, you've provided a good service to other folks further North, so thanks for bringing it up here. And I'm also sorry if anyone views or uses this situation to think or speak ill of veterans; this is a case of an individual acting badly, and that's how it should be seen, period.

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    He produced his military service ID and his DD214, that's how I knew his real name
    Thanks. I'm alerted and I alerted the Doyle Hotel. Picture would be nice.

I was just interested to hear this guy was still hiking. He was out of money in the Smokies (yet somehow had booze, cigarettes and dope). My best memory of him was him yelling at someone for throwing a page from a book into a fire (while eating sardines from a can with a giant hunting knife that must have weighed 5 pounds). That was the BEST memory.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    They had to fight hard to get their taken care of by the VA. (ie agent orange) Much like today's vets are. (ie traumatic brain injury, and PTSD) All too often our national leaders throw "Supporting our Troops" around to make themselves look like super-patriots, while denying them the care they need when they come home.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

there's a story like this about bad hikers every year. Lets keep it in perspective, very very few hikers are dishonest like this guy. Most are cheap, but not dishonest. He is not one of us.

Panzer (cheap, but honest)
    (not too cheap, just thrifty cheap), (but still a good tipper)
    Last edited by Panzer1; 07-01-2011 at 10:47.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Any Vet that carries around his DD214 on a hike is suspect to me. It is not something you need for anything in everyday life, so that alone should be a sign to others that the individual is trying to work the system.
    That is partially true. I keep a copy of mine in a ziploc with my birth cert and social security card, along with work history. If I was to become homeless, I would honestly prefer to do it on the Appalachian Trail than in a city, and thus, those documents would come with me. I have been job hunting for awhile, and have had several jobs ask for it. That is why I would carry it, not to show a hostel owner or anyone else, just an employer.

Not trying to justify what he did, just explaining that there is a rational reason to carry around your DD214.

Should be kinds fun if this guy shows up next weekend in Duncannon.......especially if Birchy is there, too. Nothing like some good drama and our entertainment budget is limited this year.

Even back in ancient times when I received my discharge (1972), the Army furnished a wallet card-sized version of the DD 214 encased in hard plastic. It makes more sense to bring that with you than the original.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++