WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead beat hiker

Journal Entries

Tear Drop, Papa Smurf, was at the Sapphire Inn in Franklin during trail festival being a drunken jerk. He was talking about wanting to kill peoples dogs and eaten them. His great line "The first trail I hiked was the H0 CHE MEN trail". The police came and took him away. He made no friends that night.

Few days later leaving Siler bald shelter after lunch my hiking partern and I came on a solo female hiker that was very shook up because a guy in camo kept following her. She decided to hike with us and within 10 minute guess who shows up carring the womans cap? Tear Drop. His demeanor was not that of someone trying to be helpful.

This guy is bad news all the way around. he has addiction and mental issues that is going to get someone hurt. If he really is a Vetnam Vet then he has to at least in his late 50's. ugh....

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RampRat View Post
    Tear Drop, Papa Smurf, was at the Sapphire Inn in Franklin during trail festival being a drunken jerk. He was talking about wanting to kill peoples dogs and eaten them. His great line "The first trail I hiked was the H0 CHE MEN trail". The police came and took him away. He made no friends that night.

Few days later leaving Siler bald shelter after lunch my hiking partern and I came on a solo female hiker that was very shook up because a guy in camo kept following her. She decided to hike with us and within 10 minute guess who shows up carring the womans cap? Tear Drop. His demeanor was not that of someone trying to be helpful.

This guy is bad news all the way around. he has addiction and mental issues that is going to get someone hurt. If he really is a Vetnam Vet then he has to at least in his late 50's. ugh....
    I'm going to start compiling a list of reasons why hiking 25 miles a day can be a good thing... There are so many....

People can't harass you if they can't keep up with you.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I'm going to start compiling a list of reasons why hiking 25 miles a day can be a good thing... There are so many....

People can't harass you if they can't keep up with you.
    ROTFLMAO... Can't wait to see that list... ...

i wonder if this guy WAS in duncannon 6 years ago in july?????

Images

All they did was move him to another hotel. You make it sound like he was arrested.

Journal Entries
    Images

Toli. I like yoo hoo beer!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I have to wonder how Papa Smurf got his name because Smurfs are Communists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qra0hlO6hZk&feature=related

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Dang.... 84 replies on this thread, over 200 on the one about religion on the trail.

Doesn't anybody hike anymore?
    Some of us can multitask now that Tapatalk works so well. Place a call to Birchy, post on WB, enjoy trail magic at Caledonia State Park from the A.T. Ministry group from Indiana, all while hiking the trail.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am glad you said he was in his fifties because I met a vet today and I was wondering if this thread was about him..........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Prov View Post
    I hiked into the Partnership Shelter approx May 30/31. A hiker that was there from the night before told me about a vet named Papa Smurf who came into the shelter very late the previous night. He was extremely drunk and had alcohol with him. He woke everyone in the shelter up, told them they were laying down in the wrong direction, and demanded that everyone get up and rearrange themselves. An argument ensued and Papa Smurf began threatening some of the hikers. The police were called. He was then schlepped off to the pokie. I heard he was back on the trail the next day.
    Yep. I was there that night. He was drunk, obnoxious and threatening to kill the other hikers in the shelter. Rather than engage this jerk and spool him up further, we left and went to town. Apparently he was arrested that night (as relayed to me by a guy who stayed) and was released the next morning (the shuttle driver saw him walking down the road). He's not a hiker but merely a hitch-hiker who likes sniffing packs of hikers. Heh!

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    I am glad you said he was in his fifties because I met a vet today and I was wondering if this thread was about him..........
    To be exact he is 60 years old, and has "Semper Fi" tattooed across his chest. He is very unstable and likely to do most anything if provoked.

Quote Originally Posted by ATladyinpa View Post
    To be exact he is 60 years old, and has "Semper Fi" tattooed across his chest. He is very unstable and likely to do most anything if provoked.
    damn. so sorry we didn't cross paths. i'd of beat of ass for disgracing the Corps

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    damn. so sorry we didn't cross paths. i'd of beat of ass for disgracing the Corps
    Thanks!!! Have fun!

Storyteller
    Images

note.jpg This was tacked up along the trail entering Delaware Water Gap from the south two weeks ago.

It says "red beard", not gray, so we know it wasn't Baltimore Jack that stole this lady's heart (though the bar tab sounds about right).

Gotta wonder if this could be the same guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    No dog in this fight.

So Birchy started this thread to warn others. Except for Lone Wolf stating that he would kick his butt for disgracing the corps, the only other comments I am interested in are those that talk about his whereabouts now. Has he flip-flopped? or has he just jumped forward by yellow blazing? or is he stealthing through towns to not get nabbed by the NPS or cops? or other options? No signs of him coming through Duncannon.
    Hopefully the NPS is on top of this and will take care of this soon. And volunteers, hostel owners and hikers are alert to the possible danger on the trail and will call the ATC and report a sighting.

RSS Text Size Print Share This
    Home / news / local /

FBI seeking hikers in 'suspicious' trail death

Credit: FBI photo

Scott Lilly, found dead in Amherst County on Aug. 12, 2011 while hiking the Appalachian Trail.

By: Chris Dumond
    Published: September 02, 2011
    » 0 Comments | Post a Comment
    Investigators are trying to find hikers known to the FBI only by their trail names in the suspicious death of a man whose body was found last month near the Appalachian Trail in Amherst County.
    The body of Scott Lilly, of South Bend, Ind., was found by hikers on Aug. 12 near the trail in the Mount Pleasant National Scenic Area, a 7,500-acre area in the national forest just north of U.S. 60.
    Authorities have said the circumstances of his death are suspicious, but not why.
    The FBI, which is leading the investigation, has released very little information about Lilly or the discovery of his body, except to say investigators have no information that would lead them to believe other hikers would be targeted.
    The hikers they believe may have had contact with Lilly are known only as Mr. Coffee, White Wolf, Papa Smurf, Combat Gizmo and Space Cadet. The last two may be a hiking team, according to a Friday press release.

so.. one of the hikers believed to have had contact with Mr. Lilly is Pappa Smurf? How is it that after all the threads involving smurf and his suspect behavior, he still moves about the trail like a ghost scaring hikers and stiffing hostel owners? Citizen arrest this sob. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    http://www2.newsadvance.com/news/201...it.ly%2FqVgIcg

This makes all this above a lot scarier
    Wow.... Chills

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
++ New Posts ++