WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead beat hiker

My first post said nothing negative, it asked for clarification of why "birchy" was proud on his Facebook page that a "vet" stayed there free. Now you say it was supposed to be half rate.
    Now I may be negative when I ask you to clarify for us who you are? Are you the owner or the hostel? Are you "birchy's" wife or mother?
    In earlier post you acted like you were the proud mother of a hiker that had stayed at the hostel, and you would recommend it to anyone. Now you call the shots the hostel.
    You seem to think any questions are an insult to you.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    My first post said nothing negative, it asked for clarification of why "birchy" was proud on his Facebook page that a "vet" stayed there free. Now you say it was supposed to be half rate.
    Now I may be negative when I ask you to clarify for us who you are? Are you the owner or the hostel? Are you "birchy's" wife or mother?
    In earlier post you acted like you were the proud mother of a hiker that had stayed at the hostel, and you would recommend it to anyone. Now you call the shots the hostel.
    You seem to think any questions are an insult to you.
    First, I was proud to have a vet, or any vet stay here, and yes, it is free, but not for two weeks. Once he decided to hang around I made it clear that he pays, works for stay, or a bit of both. Now I'm not going to get into a debate with you about what is what, who is who, or why for any of the later. All vet's are welcome here for 1 or 2 nights free, but when a drifter rolls in pretending to be a hiker, and works me for 2 weeks food and lodging. I HAVE A RIGHT TO ALERT OTHERS TO THIS SCAM.... THAT WAS THE PURPOSE OF THE POST. Now some people have turned a simple cautionary post into a debate about who is right and who is wrong. I was in the wrong, because I trusted a man for his word... which where I come from is as good as money, gold, or anything else. Stop nit picking everything.

He is of course, innocent unless proven guilty.

And hikers need to know their rights if they have cops called on them for anything, as I once had happen in New Jersey, hitching to get back to my car.

All Constitutional rights apply 24 hours a day without exception.

Quote Originally Posted by ATladyinpa View Post
    WINGED MONKEY, give me your address and I will call PAPA SMURF and he can come stay with you for two weeks. I hope you have plenty of food and booze. just make sure you make him pay up front.
    I've never stayed in a hostel that provides booze, guess I'm missing the good ones.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Dang.... 84 replies on this thread, over 200 on the one about religion on the trail.

Doesn't anybody hike anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Dang.... 84 replies on this thread, over 200 on the one about religion on the trail.

Blogging has become so addictive. I am going out to hike in a few minutes...
    Last edited by greenmtnboy; 07-02-2011 at 15:38.

You stopped long enough to be #85

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    He is of course, innocent unless proven guilty.
    Uhhh, this ain't a court of law. It is a court of public opinion.

Note the difference.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

I hiked a whole 2 miles today!!!! Its all my PT would let me do. It was the first hike i did since my injury and I did AWESOME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    I hiked a whole 2 miles today!!!! Its all my PT would let me do. It was the first hike i did since my injury and I did AWESOME!!!
    That's great, now try and do 4 miles the next day. When you hit 10 miles I'll buy you a beer.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    That's great, now try and do 4 miles the next day. When you hit 10 miles I'll buy you a beer.
    Sounds like a plan! But it wont be til next weekend. I'm allowed to hike tomorrow and Monday, but I cant go over two miles. My PT said to take it easy and not turn a 6 week problem into a 6 month problem!

I walked out to the mailbox this afternoon. The heat index is 105. I needed a snow cone once I got inside.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

WORD FROM HIKERS IN DUNCANNON SAY he is right behind them so should be in Duncannon tonight or tomorrow. Vicki at the Doyle says her plan is to tell him to keep hiking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Should be kinds fun if this guy shows up next weekend in Duncannon.......especially if Birchy is there, too. Nothing like some good drama and our entertainment budget is limited this year.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelmary View Post
    WORD FROM HIKERS IN DUNCANNON SAY he is right behind them so should be in Duncannon tonight or tomorrow. Vicki at the Doyle says her plan is to tell him to keep hiking.
    I hope he's gone thru by the time the hiker feed starts. You know, he sounds like the type that might hang around for a free meal.

Panzer
    Last edited by Panzer1; 07-04-2011 at 00:20.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    Now some people have turned a simple cautionary post into a debate about who is right and who is wrong.
    Birchy,

you did the right thing letting everyone know that this guy is out there. Word of what he did will follow him up the trail. Everyone will be on the lookout for him.

Panzer
    Last edited by Panzer1; 07-02-2011 at 20:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    WTG sierra echo, keep up the good work. I wish I could do the same.

40+ years later and vets are still cryin' about being called names and spit on? y'all make it sound like EVERY one of hundreds of thousands of GIs came back met throngs of hippies everywhere they went spittin' on them and stuff. any Marine worth their salt woulda kicked said hippy's ass with extreme predjudice. the draft was the problem. only about 1000 Marines were drafted and they went specialized units like Forced RECON and such to kill Charlie. Marines ain't whiners. Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    40+ years later and vets are still cryin' about being called names and spit on? y'all make it sound like EVERY one of hundreds of thousands of GIs came back met throngs of hippies everywhere they went spittin' on them and stuff. any Marine worth their salt woulda kicked said hippy's ass with extreme predjudice. the draft was the problem. only about 1000 Marines were drafted and they went specialized units like Forced RECON and such to kill Charlie. Marines ain't whiners. Semper Fi
    How long were you a Marine for? I was in Army Aviation for 26 years. "Above the Best!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Semper Fi Devil Dog !!!!!!

Images

what kind of vet picks a trail name like "papa smurf"? You would think he would pick a more military sounding name.

Panzer

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++