WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead beat hiker

Default Dead beat hiker

I wanted to caution all hikers and hostel operators regarding a problem hiker. If anyone encounters an older hiker known as PAPA SMURF (aka Clay Gardner), be careful in your dealings with him. This hiker was picked up by MT. ROSE and came to our hostel. He is a war vet, so we extended him some courtesy as he was broke and was waiting for his military disability check to come on July 1st. Just before dark on the 29th after spending 2 weeks with us he slipped out and headed north, leaving with a very large unpaid food / lodging tab. He did do some work for stay while here, but still left owing over $200.00 for various things he received while he was here. I did some research and apparently he has done the same thing in the south. I just wanted to let people know, not to put much trust in this individual.

I met Papa Smurf in the Smokies and although he can be a nice enough guy, I would second Birchy's comments and say just be careful. At the time he had been "adopted by the Circus" which was a band of partyin' kids from New Orleans I believe. Not sure if they're all still together.

People need to be on a "pay as you go" basis. I have met hikers who were "going on faith"--i.e. God will provide. Faith or presumption? The latter is sinful.

Also there are scam solicitations. "Please help!" We're stranded and starving, here is the Western Union information...Sorry, please glom onto someone else.

I was surprised to receive this S.O.S. from someone who had done decent work on a piece of equiptment for me:

"Apologies for having to reach out to you like this, I made a trip early this week to England, UK and had my bag stolen from me with my passport,credit cards and personal belongings in it.
    Unfortunately for me, I can't have access to funds without my credit card, I've made contact with my bank but they need more time to come up with a new one. I was thinking of asking you to lend me some quick funds that I can give back as soon as I get in. I really need to be on the next available flight and clear other expenses."

Initially I felt some sympathy, but as I had received it a while after it was sent (an infrequently used email) it was irrelevant at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    People need to be on a "pay as you go" basis. I have met hikers who were "going on faith"--i.e. God will provide. Faith or presumption? The latter is sinful.

Also there are scam solicitations. "Please help!" We're stranded and starving, here is the Western Union information...Sorry, please glom onto someone else.

I was surprised to receive this S.O.S. from someone who had done decent work on a piece of equiptment for me:

"Apologies for having to reach out to you like this, I made a trip early this week to England, UK and had my bag stolen from me with my passport,credit cards and personal belongings in it.
    Unfortunately for me, I can't have access to funds without my credit card, I've made contact with my bank but they need more time to come up with a new one. I was thinking of asking you to lend me some quick funds that I can give back as soon as I get in. I really need to be on the next available flight and clear other expenses."

Initially I felt some sympathy, but as I had received it a while after it was sent (an infrequently used email) it was irrelevant at that point.
    The person who the work for you got hacked. It's happened to friends of mine. We got their plea for help from London while they were sitting in the same room with us. Standard scam, I'm afraid.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

in business we learn from our mistakes. take this as a learning experience and grow up, shut up and move on. it was YOUR fault.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    The person who the work for you got hacked. It's happened to friends of mine. We got their plea for help from London while they were sitting in the same room with us. Standard scam, I'm afraid.
    Same here - I also got the e-mail. Too many things didn't seem right so I figured it was a scam. The "victim" friend sent out a notice the following day confirming that someone had hacked his e-mail.

The same can be said for "others" on and off the trail. We once meet a hostel manager (no names here) who did up the act, "I am a little old lady stuck up on this mt. I you don't give, the hostel will close. It needs x.... We and other hikers fell for stories. Gave money, help out when we could. We found out later and saw this with our own eyes, this person lining her pockets with the donated cash and never to be used for its real purposes. The moral of the story don't believe all you see. There are some real sharks out there who will take advantage of hikers because they know they have money, at least some of us do.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    real sharks out there who will take advantage of hikers because they know they have money, at least some of us do.
    shame on you, you need a little street smarts on the trail. YOU are what is known as a Mark. OH, and ty for being out there for us

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    in business we learn from our mistakes. take this as a learning experience and grow up, shut up and move on. it was YOUR fault.
    The OP wasn't whining or asking for anything, he was trying to give help to those business owners further up the trail. Like Dr. John says, "Peace brother, peace."

You're kidding, right? You're not seriously blaming the hostel owner for getting ripped off by a hiker, are you?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    The OP wasn't whining or asking for anything, he was trying to give help to those business owners further up the trail. Like Dr. John says, "Peace brother, peace."
    Dr john who?. every year we hear this whining of people that can't run a business. BO WHO. who cares. send the word on the hostel e-mail train, but i don't care. i also don't belief what happened, happened. are there police reports. if so post.
    the OP was whining..........................

Heh, I'd be whining too if a hiker ripped me off for $200.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    You're kidding, right? You're not seriously blaming the hostel owner for getting ripped off by a hiker, are you?
    yes i am, when you put your self in that spot you WILL be ripped off. GROW UP.

Hmmm... anyone that even thinks that way wouldn't be welcome in my place.

Find some other deck to hammock under.

Images

the point im making is, good business practices would not allow a person to get behind $200. at that point you should see the light.

the point im making is, good business practices would not allow a person to get behind $200. at that point you should see the light.
    Yeah, Birchy fell for a story and trusted a hiker and a vet (who has a monthly check coming), but he didn't deserve getting ripped off or getting told to GROW UP.

Journal Entries
    Images

KK that wasn't necessary.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    .... We found out later and saw this with our own eyes, this person lining her pockets with the donated cash and never to be used for its real purposes. ....
    Are you describing a hostel or the LA Dodgers?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Yeah, Birchy fell for a story and trusted a hiker and a vet (who has a monthly check coming), but he didn't deserve getting ripped off or getting told to GROW UP.
    i agree, but GROW UP. Ive been ripped off in the construction trade so many time. i needed to grow up and know these people were out there. it heightened my seances. be aware. u8se your street smarts. you will be able to filter the posers from the real hikers. if you act like its NOT your fault, you will never solve the problem.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Are you describing a hostel or the LA Dodgers?
    Too funny !!!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++