WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Thru Hiker Returns to trail at Delaware Water Gap - Need shuttle from airport

I got off trail in early June having started at Springer and reached Catawba, and now I'm gearing up to make my comeback! I feel the clock ticking, so I won't pick up at Catawba, VA but at Delaware Water Gap, PA where many of my hiker friends should be (then I'll flip flop from Katahdin. Feel free to share thoughts on this). I'm planning to fly out to Newark on July 17 and am looking for a way to get to the trail. I'd appreciate any ideas on shuttle services in this area!

Earth

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Flip flop plan sounds good.
    Is your flight set? Because if you flew to Scranton, there are hikers that might shuttle you from there (several in that area).

If it's set, you might look into a bus line from there.
    Last edited by Blissful; 06-30-2011 at 14:44.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Great plan and exactly what I would do/did. Check the ATC's shuttle list or

BUS/COMMUTER BUS

Martz-Trailways
    and Greyhound bus lines from Port Authority Terminal in New York City run to Scranton and Wilkes-Barre PA via the "Stroudsburg/DWG" terminal in the town of Delaware Water Gap PA. There are trips mid-day and on weekends and holidays. Both lines accept on-line purchase of tickets. The bus terminal is 1.5 miles from the AT southbound at Mt. Minsi trailhead and 3 miles from the AT northbound at Dunnfield trailhead (Mt. Tammany, Sunfish Pond)

Walking directions from the terminal to the Appalachian Trail

There is service via Greyhound from Philadelphia PA to the same bus station in Delaware Water Gap PA. Service times are less frequent.

ShortLine Bus
    provides service from the New York City area to Port Jervis NY and Milford PA and Matamoras PA. There is no public transportation or private excursion out of Milford PA into the park, however.

Have a great hike!

Thank you both for the info! Blissful, my flight is not set, but the date is. I'd be glad to consider flying to Scranton--which hikers were you referring to?

Sly, that attachment is super handy, and thanks for explaining which bus lines go into DWG. It's good to know that if I can't get ahold of some hiker friendly shuttlers, I have the good ole public transport that will get me to walking distance from the trail.

Also, I'm relieved yall approve of my flip flopping plan. I was nervous about that, but the hike must go on!

Quote Originally Posted by zombiegrad View Post
    ... the hike must go on!
    'zactly ...

I've taken the bus to/from the Water Gap several times. Flights to Philly are likely less expensive and more often then to Scranton. The only trick would be getting from the airport to the bus station and getting the timing right.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Or you can always fly into Lehigh Valley (code ABE) ariport and pick up the trail just North of the airport and be in DWG in 2 days.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Go Zombiegrad!

Flight is booked for July 19 to Scranton, where I'll take the Martz to Delaware Water Gap. Thanks for the advice and encouragement, yall! I'm super excited and looking forward to being back on the trail

Images

Flights to Philly are likely less expensive and more often then to Scranton. The only trick would be getting from the airport to the bus station and getting the timing right.

I see you made plans. Good to see it has worked out favorably. For future trips and for those wondering about airport to bus station in Philly, the airport SEPTA line rruns frequently into center city Phil and if you get off at the Market Street East station , it is a short and not too dangerous walk to the bus terminal.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Images

Here's one more encouraging voice for ya. Go Rockstar, er Earth, er Zombiegrad!

Images

If your flight lands after 4pm in scranton I should be able to run you to DWG. I live 15min from airport and DWG is less than an hour.
    "I drank what?" Socrates

Love all my nicknames! Thank you for the good wishes, unclemjm. I believe I owe you a trail update.

Sly dog, that's a generous offer. My flight does land after 4...waaay after 4. I arrive in scranton at 11:33pm, so I wouldn't expect you to be available. But if you are, holler! Thankfully, rides to DWG start as early as 6am, and I'd want to be there as early as possible to hike out. I appreciate it!

++ New Posts ++