WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default real life packed size of exped mats

I currently have a Neoair classic that I love. It's comfortable, and small to carry. I also hike with my small dog...with sharp claws. The two naturally probably would not survive together too long. That being said, it appears the build of the exped mats would work better with resisting my dogs claws. What I need to know is how actually small do they pack up in real life as opposed to published size. I'm looking at the Exped down 7 with pump. Just for argument due to the popularity, how small do the synmats pack as well?
    School makes you sound wise, while the world actually makes you wise.

The 72" DM7 Pump is listed at 9"x6" stored size. I get easily that, in fact Inside the pack compressed it is closer to 9"x5" for me.
    Franco

Here ya go... This is my Regular (20 x 72) size NeoAir on the left, and the Regular (20 x 72) Exped SynMat 7 Pump on the right. In the center is a 1L Nalgene.

(Sorry it is a little fuzzy, my camera was fogging up from carrying it out of my cold house into the hot sun...)

Here is another shot:

Last edited by STICK; 07-03-2011 at 11:38.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Hi Stick
    Thank you for taking the time to comment and even to post some pictures.
    Very much appreciated by me and the few others that are aware that we don't get paid for this kind of thing..
    It only took me only few minutes , say 10 at the most, to pack my mat up and then measure it , just to make sure, and of course my time is free anyway , so no big deal.
    Franco

Yeah, thank you guys for the help, probably should have said that earlier. I ended up getting the Downmat...VERY NICE mat. super comfortable. The size is a bit big, but still packable.

Images

I have the synmat deluxe 9 77.5 by 26. A little bulky, very, very comfy, Warm...I wouldnt characterize it as rugged and therefore woudlnt and dont allow my 18 pound Cavapooh on it. Nope he gets the ground...

Quote Originally Posted by goody5534 View Post
    I have the synmat deluxe 9 77.5 by 26. A little bulky, very, very comfy, Warm...I wouldnt characterize it as rugged and therefore woudlnt and dont allow my 18 pound Cavapooh on it. Nope he gets the ground...
    I can attest to the ruggedness of Exped mats. During a recent trip one of our dogs...a 20 lb cairn managed to nest via circling and scratching on my wife's mat. It held up fine without any issues. That experience sealed my purchase of the exped DM7. I love my Neoair...but I hate worrying about it.

Her mat was the comfort foam version

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Hi Stick
    Thank you for taking the time to comment and even to post some pictures.
    Very much appreciated by me and the few others that are aware that we don't get paid for this kind of thing..
    It only took me only few minutes , say 10 at the most, to pack my mat up and then measure it , just to make sure, and of course my time is free anyway , so no big deal.
    Franco
    I wish I got paid for this kind of thing...unfortunately though I don't...and more times than not, I usually end up paying full retail or pretty close to it...although I gotta say, the SynMat in the picture was bought at a measly $39!
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

++ New Posts ++