WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    I don't think I am the final authority on these things, but a troll is someone who posts a comment (or repeated comments) on a discussion board with the sole intent of causing a negative reaction. Usually it is something that does not add anything useful to the discussion, but is only inflamatory. The intent is to amuse the troll by causing other posters to get upset. It happens all the time on political discussion boards.
    So basically...a TROLL is someone who's bored?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    posting in the humor section is worthless - humor has been eliminated from WB through attrition
    Agreed, too many deleted posts & locked threads
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    So basically...a TROLL is someone who's bored?
    a troll is anyone whose opinions you don't like and who you can't get rid of by expressing your own opinions

the more things change, the more they stay the same

Quote Originally Posted by jlb2012 View Post
    a troll is anyone whose opinions you don't like and who you can't get rid of by expressing your own opinions
    Since this thread was recently revived, some others may also be seeing some obvious recent trolling too. I disagree with you jb2012; It's more than that!

When trolling becomes vulgar, rude, foul, and predjedice in content, like this, Other outdoor activities while thru-hiking?

How easy are thewomen ( I don't care if they stink)?

it's time to shut that down. No need for that here!

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    I don't think I am the final authority on these things, but a troll is someone who posts a comment (or repeated comments) on a discussion board with the sole intent of causing a negative reaction. Usually it is something that does not add anything useful to the discussion, but is only inflamatory. The intent is to amuse the troll by causing other posters to get upset. It happens all the time on political discussion boards.
    All facets of backpacking have some negative aspects. No piece of gear is perfect and it's important for long-term users of a tent or a hammock or a tarp or a bivy or boots whatever should freely post negative comments without being labelled a troll. Recently there was a long discussion on the Marvels of the TarpTent and someone posted a long discussion on all the negative reviews some TarpTents received. Some fanatics took offense. A troll? Naw, just a discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by jlb2012 View Post
    Where I come from this has always been called a Discussion. Who wants to get rid of someone who has different opinions? The worst I see here is not trolling but getting personal. EX: I like a certain piece of gear. REPLY; You are an idiot, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Since this thread was recently revived, some others may also be seeing some obvious recent trolling too. I disagree with you jb2012; It's more than that!

When trolling becomes vulgar, rude, foul, and predjedice in content, like this, Other outdoor activities while thru-hiking?

I saw the women comment & was insulted... agreed-no need for that here.

As far as trolling goes, I think that trolling is someone that doesn't really care to take the time or really cares about the person & what they are trying to say, behind any given post. A troll is someone who just spouts off & is usually rude & extremely judgmental. But that could just be personality as well. Either way it's annoying & makes me wonder how they made it through kindergarten without a fail on "plays well with others".

Some people are just wanting to know if they can be accepted, just the way they are... if they come across as a "bully" they are used to no one liking/accepting them, but are hoping for someone to get past that & hang with them.

Everyone wants to be loved/liked and accepted... period. Some people "need" other people more than they want other people in their lives. I think we all need others in our lives but can be thankful if we really want them... it's a "gift" not to be taken for granted.
    That's my rant for the day... Happy New Year, everyone!!

I think some people are just overly sensitive. Now I will agree that the comment was crass and rather tasteless but*I think the op's intent was humorous and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by herman2feathers View Post
    I think some people are just overly sensitive. Now I will agree that the comment was crass and rather tasteless but*I think the op's intent was humorous and should be taken with a grain of salt.
    opie and anthony can be funny too.so can howewad stern. but many find it offensive. if you want to be funny, keep it in the humor forum. if you want to be crude, keep it out of here entirely

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    opie and anthony can be funny too.so can howewad stern. but many find it offensive. if you want to be funny, keep it in the humor forum. if you want to be crude, keep it out of here entirely
    Well I agree that in extreme circumstances moderator intervention is necessary but most of the time it's because somebody is overly sensitive and when forums become overmoderated the traffic and post count can drop dramatically making the site just another one of those highly overmoderated boards nobody bothers with.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by herman2feathers View Post
    Well I agree that in extreme circumstances moderator intervention is necessary but most of the time it's because somebody is overly sensitive and when forums become overmoderated the traffic and post count can drop dramatically making the site just another one of those highly overmoderated boards nobody bothers with.
    this site is and will continue to be the best source to get information for prospective thrus and section hikers, long distance hikers alike.vulgarity isnt going to make it more popular.

I'm not sure why, but this cracked me up.....how-e-wad?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I'm not sure why, but this cracked me up.....how-e-wad?
    it wasnt intentional and went i went to edit it, i laughed myself, decided to keep it as is

this site is and will continue to be the best source to get information for prospective thrus and section hikers, long distance hikers alike.vulgarity isnt going to make it more popular.
    Classy, and accurate, comment hikerboy57.

Images

Classy, and accurate, comment hikerboy57.
    happy new year dogwood.all the best

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    .... Who wants to get rid of someone who has different opinions? The worst I see here is not trolling but getting personal. EX: I like a certain piece of gear. REPLY; You are an idiot, etc.
    More likely, they'll say "your an idiot."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    I saw the women comment & was insulted... agreed-no need for that here.

As far as trolling goes, I think that trolling is someone that doesn't really care to take the time or really cares about the person & what they are trying to say, behind any given post. A troll is someone who just spouts off & is usually rude & extremely judgmental. But that could just be personality as well. Either way it's annoying & makes me wonder how they made it through kindergarten without a fail on "plays well with others".

Some people are just wanting to know if they can be accepted, just the way they are... if they come across as a "bully" they are used to no one liking/accepting them, but are hoping for someone to get past that & hang with them.

Everyone wants to be loved/liked and accepted... period. Some people "need" other people more than they want other people in their lives. I think we all need others in our lives but can be thankful if we really want them... it's a "gift" not to be taken for granted.
    That's my rant for the day... Happy New Year, everyone!!
    I agree with this one hundred percent (funny, I'm way too agreeable lately)

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Now wait a second, why would we want to bring trolls into the Humor forum?

True Trolls generally lack the creativity and finesse required for actual humor, instead they prefer to bait people and crap on everyone. Given their propensity to ***** on things, perhaps the Health, Safety and Hygiene forum would be a more appropriate holding place?

As Mags has pointed out many times, there is already a site dedicated to the proper breeding, training and socialization of Trolls, perhaps we could simply help by relocating them to their natural habitat? We could do this in the same vein that the forest service relocates problem bears to more appropriate locations for everyone's benefit.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Papa D.... funny.. it might be HikerBoy57 & all of the cafe gang's influence on us. They are all quite agreeable. Happy New Year to you and your family!

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    I have a tough time sorting out who is and who isn't a TROLL on WB. I just wish I had the spare time it takes to complete a baited post and then follow thru just to PO others here. I guess some just get bored and need something to do. Some of the posts made or just plain stupid, ridiculous and seem to be intentional just to stir the pot.

This post is only intended to offend TROLLS.
    i usta be the best in the business

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++