WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Lightweight Knee Brace

I have had knee issues for nearly 20 years now. Most times I can usually go on 5-10 day trips without my brace but then have a "recovery" time when I get home. Next year, during my thru, I will not have the recovery times so I plan on using a brace more often on the trail. My current knee stabilizer is a whopping 2lb 4oz.

I'm looking at this brace, but cannot find a weight for it. I've emailed the distributor asking about the weight. In the meantime, does anyone have a good brace that they use that doesn't feel like carrying a brick around?
    "I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." ~Robert Louis Stevenson
    AT thru-hike in planning - Class of 2012

Default Brace Advice

Instead of ordering a brace online, I would suggest you get a prescription from your doctor for a new brace. Then take that prescription to your nearest Certified Orthotist (CO). Follow the American Board for Certification in Orthotics and Prosthetics (ABC) directory search link at http://www.abcop.org Finding the right brace to match your diagnosis is worth some professional advice. Ask to demo more than one light weight brace when you get to that point.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I have a short hinged knee brace similar to the LP that you link to. If you don't get a response I can try to find mine and weigh it.

For my past 3 hikes I've been going with the Futuro Moisture Knit brace, which provides minimal stability and bracing for 6 ounces but seems to do the trick for me.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Large View Post
    I have had knee issues for nearly 20 years now. Most times I can usually go on 5-10 day trips without my brace but then have a "recovery" time when I get home. Next year, during my thru, I will not have the recovery times so I plan on using a brace more often on the trail. My current knee stabilizer is a whopping 2lb 4oz.
    I have good knees but do notice some pain on downhill late after a long day. I bought this: http://www.acebrand.com/wps/portal/3...glJFXW6PTKB2bl

I have a buddy that is an ortho but all their stuff was just too dang heavy and/or hot. He recommended this monstrosity, like you described, but IMO that was not gonna fly on the trail.

If you are fine for days on end maybe you just need a little help holding things together.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Thanks Bumbull for the suggestion to demo different braces, I hadn't thought about that. My current brace is a prescription one, but as I mentioned, it weighs a ton. I asked my doctor what kind of brace would offer the 'basic' amount of support that I needed and he told me, "Any brace that supports the medial lateral ligaments will work."

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    If you are fine for days on end maybe you just need a little help holding things together.
    That's what I was thinking about, something to hold things together.

Kerosene, unfortunately I can't really use slip on braces because my legs are like tree trunks lol. Plus I'd love to be able to remove it without having to take off my shoes.
    Last edited by 30 Large; 07-04-2011 at 20:10.
    "I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." ~Robert Louis Stevenson

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

After trying a number of braces a hiking friend suggested these:

http://www.footsmart.com/p-cho-pat-d...rap-20032.aspx

They have been just what I needed. They can be put on and removed without taking off my shoes.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

+1 for Cho-Pat's. They worked for us.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Images

I think I will just go ahead and order one to test it out considering the cost isn't that much. How much does it weigh?

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I just snagged a Cho-Pat on Amazon for ~$19, and standard shipping was free.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Different knee braces are for different ailments. Be sure to get one that has the correct support. For example, the Cho-Pat does nothing for LT band support. I suggest you discuss this with your doctor....

I've been using Mueller Knee Stabilizers for almost a 1000 miles on the AT. http://www.walmart.com/ip/ELAS-KNEE-...ndingMethod=rr Tried others and always came back to these. I pick them up at walmart and they've lasted 200 miles or more before I chuck them and get a new pair.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pafarmboy View Post
    I've been using Mueller Knee Stabilizers for almost a 1000 miles on the AT. http://www.walmart.com/ip/ELAS-KNEE-...ndingMethod=rr Tried others and always came back to these. I pick them up at walmart and they've lasted 200 miles or more before I chuck them and get a new pair.
    I've used Mueller before. They tend to run small for me. Even the non-sleeve one that I've tried usually run out of strap before securing well. If I could find one that fit me, they would be perfect for the price.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bflorac View Post
    Different knee braces are for different ailments. Be sure to get one that has the correct support. For example, the Cho-Pat does nothing for LT band support. I suggest you discuss this with your doctor....
    I may be wrong but I thought the Cho-Pat Dual Action brace incorporated and LT band support as well as a PT band. I may not be understanding just what a LT support band is.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

I believe that I may be a canidate for knee braces. I will speak to my ortho about this as I keep finding braces for sale for my condition.

I would assume that I am not the only person on the forum with "bilateral patellar subluxation". That means my knee caps are somewhat out of the grooves, almost dislocated. I was only recently diagnosed after having difficulty going down stairs and getting up from a sitting position. And bad pain and swelling. Ortho doc gave me steroid shots in my knees and put me on some arthritis med. I am presently doing all I can to remedy this, always using a walking stick, proper body mechanics, losing weight, glucosamine, all the while knowing that they will never be 100% recovered. I have done much in my life to cause this. But I will not stop living because some parts are worn out.

I am wondering what type of brace might be useful for hiking. It seems some of the braces I see are not really meant for it. My young looking sports doc has probably not encountered an old woman who is falling apart and planning a long-distance hike. So maybe I should have some ideas. (What I really am saying is that this retired RN wants to tell doctor what to do! Just kidding!).
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

++ New Posts ++