WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Wide Light Warm-Weather Sleeping Bag

Does anyone know of a 2 pound bag that is at least 35 inches wide in the hips?

I like to sleep with one leg hiked up at a 90 degree angle. And because I am 6’1” tall, this means I need a bag that is 35-36 inches wide in the middle. Since I’m 185 pounds, it can be narrower at the foot and shoulders.

I found the North Face Mercurial bag (1 lb. 10 oz.), but as best I can tell (at its EU site) it is only 32 inches wide.

I have a 20 degree bag that is 36 inches wide (ALPS Mountaineering), but at 3 lbs 11 ounces, it is too much for early August on the AT in southern Vermont.

Does everyone else sleep with their legs together? I can’t be the only one who likes one leg straight and one leg bent. It seems sleeping bag manufacturers are missing this niche of backpackers.
    Thanks,
    Chip
    Freedom!
    We all deserve personal freedoms and financial freedoms.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Sounds like the perfect application for a quilt.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I doubt your going to find anything that light which is that wide and long enough to accommodate you, material weight just doesn't allow it. I think skine is right in suggesting a quilt.

Images

Try the Montbell Super Stretch series of sleeping bags. They come in different temperature ranges.
    I have one and love it. I move around in my sleep a lot and this bag allows me to do that.

I have a 40* quilt that I've used comfortably down to 30*, and recently made a summer version from fleece bought at the fabric store. I'm hoping that will be good down to 60* or so.

Campmor and Cabelas have wide bivy bags, which when combined with a base layer (I have Ivanhoe wool) could keep you warm in the 35-40F range and they weigh less than two pounds. Another suggestion, and much cheaper, is to buy two military poncho liners and stitch them together at the edges or lap the seams to give you a closer fit. Poncho liners are about 80" x 60". Look at The Sportsmans Guide (http://www.sportsmansguide.com) or Cheaper Than Dirt (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com) for military surplus poncho liners.

Journal Entries

Thank you for the replies!

skinewmexico, dillard and Rocket Jones: Thank you for the quilt suggestion! I thought about one last year, but I thought my back would get cold. Your posts caused me to research again, including at Hammock Forums, and it appears my back will stay warm if I keep my Hennessy Hammock under insulation system attached. (I was going to remove it for the summer.) So I think I will try a summer quilt.

Dillard: Since the North Face Mercurial is 26 oz., if they increased the hip area from 32 inches to 35 inches (10% more), it would add maybe 3 ounces and be under 2 pounds. So I think a wide light warm-weather bag is doable, but I guess the market isn’t there.

LIhikers: I checked out the Montbell Super Stretch series. Its Warm Up Sheet might work, but as a single layer of fleece, I’m just not sure. But thanks for the suggestion!

Rsmout: Thanks for the idea, but I did not find a wide bivy. Besides, a bivy is water resistant and I don’t need that (or its expense) inside a hammock. The poncho liner idea might work, but the ones I see are 64 inches wide, giving me 32 inches once made into a bag, and I want 35 inches. And since one liner weighs 2 pounds, I don’t want 2 liners.

Funny thing...look at my chosen icon for Hammock Hanger. The guy has one leg bent. Guess we are not allowed to sleep that way in a sleeping bag.
    Thanks,
    Chip
    Freedom!
    We all deserve personal freedoms and financial freedoms.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Sounds like the perfect application for a quilt.
    Yep, that's what I was going to say too
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

chip i own and recommend the hammockgear.com 45-50 sewn through summer top quilt. you can get it custom if you want it a little wider at a certain point...

http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/inde...products_id=22

you can get the regular summer version if you want it to keep you warmer than 45...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

++ New Posts ++