Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 50's Age Group

Images

Go for it, I hiked the southern 1,000 mi. in 2010 @ 54. Get fit, get light and it will come true....

In 1977, I hiked the AT in 5 months. In 1982, I hiked the AT in 5 months. In 2010, at the age of 55, I hiked the AT in 3-1/2 months and loved every minute of it. Strengthen your mind and your body can follow.....

Journal Entries

Iam 70 and will be thru hiking the AT in 2012. Ive done other thru hikes in my 60s. I got hooked and find thru hiking a great challenge and fulfillment in my life.

Forgive me if this comes accross the wrong way, but I guess I don't get the 50+ group thing. I am 51, but I don't understand the significance of the number 50 and why this is somehow a group different from all others solely based on age. As Quadzilla and others mentioned, age isn't necessarily a factor. I mean, I can out hike people half my age. And a friend of mine, who is 71, can hike circles around me.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    In 1977, I hiked the AT in 5 months. In 1982, I hiked the AT in 5 months. In 2010, at the age of 55, I hiked the AT in 3-1/2 months and loved every minute of it. Strengthen your mind and your body can follow.....
    That is so cool. Congrats on your thru-hikes! So what did you do differently to be able to hike the AT in 3 1/2 months?
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Images

The ATC magazine did a great article on older female thru's a couple of years ago. I loved it. I can't try a thru until I retire at 55. I am good but I worry about my feet. I will be 50 next week. So the smaller hikes will have to do me until then. I liked what the poster said above. Hiking does not kill you, stopping hiking does. Go for it.

56 here from Brevard NC and so ready this year

Virginia Tortoise

I think it's transition decade from middle age to senior. I can feel the changes but I still like to get out there and hike. I only have 365 miles left to complete my sectioning of the AT. Please note that I am 57.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    I did a 5 month thru hike in '85 and I know that I'm "only" 44 but I'm MUCH faster and ABSOLUTELY more capable than I was at 18 years old --- I run circles around most teenagers so, don't give your AGE a second thought -- you (like anyone of any age) should obviously evaluate your health but since you say you are in good shape, I think that you will do GREAT and get a lot out of a thru-hike. Now, all that said, a 50 something with a few bucks is much more likely to seccumb (did I mis-spell that?) to the lure of hot showers and good food in the front-country and tire of hiking 15 miles or more a day, but if you want it, you should go for it!!

Images

My goal is to stay in hike-ready shape, the AT keeps me focused on fitness which is of course good. Fitness is the closest thing to the "fountain of youth", that and a smart meal plan.

I do find that as I age things get broken faster and heal at different rates, pain is a part of the process I guess.

Ultimately, would like to complete the AT, LT, PCT and CDT............have talked my wife into doing the coast-to-coast walk across Great Britain.

As the World gets more and more unstable, I am more and more pleased that I found this passion/hobby. Have learned to live with less and happier as a result

Journal Entries

I'm 60 and began section hiking on my 50th birthday. I have now section hiked during summers from Maine down to central VA and thru hiked the Long Trail. Age only makes you wiser...

Ditto to the wisdom above about taking it easy, doing good preparation, paying attention to your own body. In 2008, at age 55, I did almost 600 miles in 7 weeks. Only had second thoughts the second night out. I do work out at a gym 3-4 days a week and prepared by walking with a loaded pack, increasing weight and distance. It was hard work, but I hiked my own hike and had a wonderful time! I met so many interesting people! One of the highlights of my life! In 2010 I went back with a guy I met my first night out (on the first hike) and did another 80 or so miles. And I look forward to going back May 25 for another 8 days with the same hiking buddy. I intend to do the whole thing by sections and hope/intend to stay healthy enough to do whatever is left or maybe the PCT when I retire.

I am 52 in age, 29 in spirit. My husband (60), my son (16) and myself will be doing a 100 miles this spring. Mom my always told me "you are as old as you feel". I say do it!!!!

Images

50 and 60 are nothin but numbers. I plan on sectioning Damascus to Springer this spring and may head North from PA. after that if all goes well and I"m 62. Just take it easy. Injuries are most likely to come from pushing yourself too hard.

I've day-hiked with my husband, Chief. He's letting me go along on my first hike of any distance come this April - we're going to hike part of the Foothills Trail in North Carolina. He's section-hiking the AT when time allows...he's 55, I'm 56.

I got used to being a stay-at-home, and now I can barely stand to stay here...I'm excited! Hike ON, DeeHiker, I'm with you in spirit.
    Now shall I walk
    or shall I ride?
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies

I'm turning 50 in June. Really looking forward to it. Getting in shape for it. I find now that I am older I have to be more consistent, or I fall apart one way or another, but if I do stay consistent the payoff is great. Hard to find like minded people locally that do what I want to do, like hiking, cross-country skiing, paddling, so its nice to have the support of the white blaze community.

I'm hoping when I'm 59 I am looking forward to my 60s as much as I am looking forward to my 50s now.
    40s were good, but I'm really going to work at making my 50s better. Best regards all.

Have been section hiking the AT since 21 and plan to do a NOBO thru-hike in 2014 at 60. In my next life I will be doing a SOBO thru-hike at 18.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Im 54, and I found out that you actually begin to grow younger after age 50.
    By 90, I expect I'll be wearing diapers again.
    You're never too old, and as Lone wolf loves to say, "its just walking"
    Yes, age reversal is possible. You can get younger and fitter. Although, I think I'll take a pass on the diapers!

Did my first 20mi day with Walkabout Roo last year I believe he was 69 at the time.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++