WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default final backpack decisions

hey yall thanks for such a great site.

Im about to buy a new pack for a 2012 thru hike (GAME) and ive been absolutely floored by all the great new packs that are out there now. From my old boy scout days, i am no UL hiker but I love the new ventilated packs. Please, any reviews/ info/ recommendations on the following packs would be awesome!

-Osprey Atmos 65
    -Gregory Baltero
    -Gregory z65
    -Deuter ACT Lite 60+10

Im about 6 foot, 145 Pounds so getting a good fit will important.. and Ill be probably hauling about 35-40 pounds total max on the trail.

Thanks in advance!

All of those are too big. Go with a osprey exos 46 (assuming you fit in their packs). Another great pack is the ULA circuit. Both are a touch over 2 lbs and are rock solid.

Quote Originally Posted by CornerCreek27 View Post
    hey yall thanks for such a great site.

Im about to buy a new pack for a 2012 thru hike (GAME) and ive been absolutely floored by all the great new packs that are out there now. From my old boy scout days, i am no UL hiker but I love the new ventilated packs. Please, any reviews/ info/ recommendations on the following packs would be awesome!

-Osprey Atmos 65 (I found this to be difficult to pack because of the internal design and uncomforable on my hips YMMV)
    -Gregory Baltero
    -Gregory z65 (I have a z55, very comfortable in your weight range -though you will probably lighten up some. Best of your choices for venting probably.)
    -Deuter ACT Lite 60+10 (I have this and it is huge, but OK for cold weather hauling--also have a 45+10 I haven't used much yet but like the size better for a longer fair weather hike. Both are quite comfortable under medium to heavy loads)

Im about 6 foot, 145 Pounds so getting a good fit will important.. and Ill be probably hauling about 35-40 pounds total max on the trail.

Thanks in advance!
    Even though you are not an ultralighter now--take time to checkout the packs that will be mentioned by those here that know them. You might find something you will like down the trail. If I were starting out tomorrow, I would probably take either my z55 or my smaller Deuter. They are not my lightest packs but they are comfortable for me.

thanks for the pointers.. i guess im really scared to go fully lite weight with a pack under 60L, maybe its all mental.

im looking at the big agnes seedhouse UL 2person for shelter and my bag is an old Kelty synthetic that i can compress but i feel will still take up a lot of room.. plus an old roll rigid rest to boot.

im not sure how it will all fit!

It doesn't get mentioned as much, but also check out the REI Flash 65 if you've got a store near you. Great pack.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Nothing wrong with going lighter; embrace the technology. I'm constantly amazed by hikers who won't live without the latest iPhone, iPad, iPod, and laptop, but look at the weight-saving improvements of the last decade as instant death. An increible amount of tough, functional, and light gear made in the USA now.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Lando11 View Post
    All of those are too big. Go with a osprey exos 46 (assuming you fit in their packs). Another great pack is the ULA circuit. Both are a touch over 2 lbs and are rock solid.
    Agree exos 46, great pack!
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Lando11 View Post
    Sold my Exos 46 to fund my made in Utah ULA Circuit. Both great packs if they fit!
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    It doesn't get mentioned as much, but also check out the REI Flash 65 if you've got a store near you. Great pack.
    Great pack. You should definitely check it out if you want a 60 liter pack. You can also take the top off of it and save a few ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    I have the Flash 65 and the Big Agnes SL2 tent and I carry the tent in the straps on the outside bottom of the pack.

I say Flash 65 as well if you need extra volume. It is very comfortable, light-weight, versatile, and best of all, is priced under $170. Great pack!

++ New Posts ++