WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Poncho tarp

Default Poncho tarp

Anyone use these and what's a good one to purchase? I was considering buying one and see how I like. Thanks in advance!
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Happy with my Golite poncho, works as advertised, 7,5oz

Images

Are you looking to use it for both rain gear and shelter? That's a common way to get several pounds out of your pack. Just put some thought and practice into using it in inclement weather before an actual hike -- you're going to get wet.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Are you looking to use it for both rain gear and shelter? That's a common way to get several pounds out of your pack. Just put some thought and practice into using it in inclement weather before an actual hike -- you're going to get wet.
    Thats my plan, really considering the gateway cape, what you guys think. It totally closes in the front.

Quote Originally Posted by HiKen2011 View Post
    Thats my plan, really considering the gateway cape, what you guys think. It totally closes in the front.
    Oops! GATEWOOd

Journal Entries
    Images

Many have posted here about the Gatewood, Honest there are lots of good reviews except one member who was tall found his feet on the outside, in the wet.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Many have posted here about the Gatewood, Honest there are lots of good reviews except one member who was tall found his feet on the outside, in the wet.
    Thanks oh wise and powerful owl!

MLD Silnylon Poncho Pro is the schizz. 10oz for $155 or 5.75oz is you wanna spring $300 for Cuben.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

They're good for the AT when it's not winter or the desert in the summer. I wouldn't use a poncho-tarp anywhere else.

Journal Entries
    Images

i have to ask why not?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Working on Forestry Grad schol

wind makes them not very good raingear--even with a windshirt you won't be happy if there's blowing wind above treeline and it's 45 degrees.

they're pretty minimalist shelters--wind will once again get you sprayed under a 5.5X7.5 tarp with a hole in the top. It's fine if you have a bivy or DWR coated bag.

By the time you add up
    ponco tarp+DWR/bivy+windshirt they're not much lighter than a dedicated tarp+raingear

The Gatewood works well if you are not tall, use a bag with DWR coating or a bivy and set up tarp in a location that will give you some wind protection. For longer hikes, a small tarp augmented by using a poncho as a gear / cooking vestibule works better IMO.

Images

I like the Sea to Summit Poncho Tarp for it's light weight and large size.

The Gatewood Cape provides good coverage as a shleter and deflects blowing rain from all directions quite well. I usually use the bug net designed for it or an SMD Meteor bivy to act as a ground cloth and keep the bugs away. The bug net/bivy also helps protect you bag/quilt from elements.

I have also used a 5x9 flat tarp, similar to the many Poncho tarps, but I usually combine it with some kind of combination ultralight bivy/bugnet/ groundcloth. Usually the SMD Meteor does the trick or an Oware drawcord bivy for cold and very wet weather. I like the combination.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

I did try the Gatwood Cape and wanted it to work. Such a great idea on paper. I'm 6 foot even. Problem was I was too tall (with a long sleeping bag) to sleep comfortably under it, yet too short to wear it as a poncho. I did not like all the fabric draping/dragging all over. The irony is I like to use a Golite poncho for rainwear in warmer weather.

Making a poncho or the Gatewood Cape work for you is frequently a matter of proper equipment choice and tolerance. I'm 6' and the Gatewood Cape fits me just fine. It's been my go to shelter on numerous trips and I've slept dry and comfortably under very nasty storms. I've also ensured that my whole kit works together seamlessly. The proper choice of a sleeping bag is also critical.

I've also know many people who get by with a simple poncho. It does require a bit more effort to find a good sheltered location to compensate for the open ends when setup. But with care it can be quite effective.

Small shelters are an acquired taste. While they are attractive in terms of weight, they pose issues for many. Determining if it is an appropriate shelter for you is not an easy task and can only be done with trial an error.

Ron Moak - Designer of the Gatewood Cape

I have the Gatewood Cape and added the bug netting at the base making it into a Wild Oasis. It was unlikely I would go ever without a rain jacket as mine is also my wind jkt. I recently had eight nights in it in the UK and was impressed with the Cape.I have used the Golite Cave a lot and the Equinox poncho tarp both on the AT. The Cape does make a better shelter though it helps that I am 5ft 7in. I picked one bad pitch and the Cape was flappy when the wind got up, but that was mainly my poor choice of site. I cooked in the vestibule which I found easier than in my Henry Shires Moment. Right now the Cape is going to be my GoTo shelter certainly in the better weather. I did use a polycro groundcloth for most of the footprint and for all my shelters I use an Equinox bivy to give security in protecting my down bag.

I have a sea to summit but its too bulky I prefer my rain jacket and pack cover.it just feels like a dress when I wear the ponchoponcho

My daughter uses a poncho. She likes it as rain gear and to use as a privacy shelter for bathroom use.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Journal Entries

too small for shelter
    too big for raingear
    cant set up shelter without getting wet
    etc

Jack of all trades, master of none

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++