WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default compass question

Can leaving a compass packed near batteries (flashlight or other electronics) cause it to become permanently unreliable, or is the effect only temporary?
    You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim, the mountian's got its own ways.
    -"BearClaw" Chris Lapp-

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I wouldn't think so as far as permanent damage goes.

When I use my compass I make sure it isn't near any metal or anything though. Once I was trying to get a reading and it kept changing. I thought the compass was broken. Then I realized I had my trekking pole on my wrist and when the pole moved, the needle moved.
    Last edited by 10-K; 07-10-2011 at 09:40.

Batteries don't produce electromagnetic fields on their own. However, some of the equipment that batteries power do. You can test this by placing these things near the compass and see if the needle deviates. Over time of improperly storing a compass can effect the accuracy.

Generally not a problem.

Images

When hunting I've had to put my rifle down and move away from it to use my compass but there's never been any damage to my compasses from being stored near ferrous metals for months when not in use, or from being carried in a pack with objects that attract the magnet in the compass.

Journal Entries
    Images

If you hold it away from your body and not near a electronic device (Radio, phone or other personal pieces of metal or electronics you will be fine. What you are asking for is "What will De Gauss a compass?" answer is leaving it near a traditional TV. Or leaving it next to a strong magnet. Anything with a stronger field.

I am still interested how an international compass is sensitized differently from a domestic American one.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Wise Old Owl asked in post #5 "I am still interested how an international compass is sensitized differently from a domestic American one."

Could it be an adjustment/function from Magnetic to Map North because that changes due to location and time. Sensitized?? Got me.
    "Today I have grown taller from walking with the trees." Karle Wilson Baker

Journal Entries
    Images

No I was talking about the difference between a regular compass and the incredible ballance of Suunto's Global Needle.... Amazing.

http://www.thecompassstore.com/whatisglobne.html
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

My brother had a zipper compass messed up really bad and only discovered it when he traveled miles in the wrong direction. After he returned from the trail he figured that he had placed his jacket with compass on it's zipper on a pile of stuff in his car trunk which had radio speakers mounted in the top, the speaker magnets, of course, ruined the compass.

Journal Entries
    Images

My experience is that lots of stuff can mess up a compass reading. I do it away from gear with just my map. Long term storage in the wrong place can ruin a compass just like anything else.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    My brother had a zipper compass messed up really bad and only discovered it when he traveled miles in the wrong direction. After he returned from the trail he figured that he had placed his jacket with compass on it's zipper on a pile of stuff in his car trunk which had radio speakers mounted in the top, the speaker magnets, of course, ruined the compass.
    ^This. Electronics and metal will give false readings but to permanently damage a compass, you need a STRONG magnetic field.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
    ^This. Electronics and metal will give false readings but to permanently damage a compass, you need a STRONG magnetic field.
    That's what I thought. I've had my compasses stored for years in boxes with other compasses and with metallic objects and they all work fine.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Haven't bothered to carry a compass in years. If I need to, I can navigate by the sun or stars. I have carried one off and on over the years, but just never really seen the need to carry one. I have really good wilderness survival skills though, so it might be different for others. I don't carry a first aid kit or maps either. The kit would not be big enough to take care of anything major, and anything minor can mostly be ignored. I was a medic in the Army, and most medical stuff can be improvised.

I guess that is two examples of skills replacing gear.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    Haven't bothered to carry a compass in years. If I need to, I can navigate by the sun or stars. I have carried one off and on over the years, but just never really seen the need to carry one. I have really good wilderness survival skills though, so it might be different for others. I don't carry a first aid kit or maps either. The kit would not be big enough to take care of anything major, and anything minor can mostly be ignored. I was a medic in the Army, and most medical stuff can be improvised.

I guess that is two examples of skills replacing gear.
    Overcast days/nights. Of course you could just stay put until it clears a little. I couldn't navigate by the stars. Would be cool to learn tho especially since I also like boating at night. From what little of the AT I've seen it's marked well enough to do without. I haven't carried or even considered one for day hiking.

I'd agree on the first aid tho. If I get a cut, I can wrap a shirt around it. Ointments are for sissies. Just don't itch it already. Splints and crutches don't come in most first aid kits. And well, if you have a susking chest wound you're going to be screwed regardless.

++ New Posts ++