WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

I know this did not occur on the AT but.... http://www.aolnews.com/2011/03/14/sn...ls-fake-breas/

Images

Here is part of an article from the Berkshire Eagle from July 8, 2009. As I recall the researcher was trying to capture a timber rattlesnake and a second snake which he did not see bite him. He was on or near the AT in the area of Race Brook.
    [SIZE=-1"]Author: Trevor Jones, Berkshire Eagle Staff
    Article ID: 12790228
    Date: July 8, 2009
    Publication: Berkshire Eagle, The (Pittsfield, MA)
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1"]Thursday, July 09 SHEFFIELD -- A researcher is recovering from a wild timber rattlesnake's bite that occurred over the weekend, only the second of its kind in the state's modern history, according to officials.
    The state's Environmental Police refused to idenfity the man, saying the matter remains under investigation.But the man is recovering from the snake bite, according to Tom French, MassWildlife assistant director for natural heritage and

Sorry, I did not want to pay for the whole atricle.[/SIZE]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    It really gave me an appreciation for their camouflage; it's easy to spot them when you're looking for them, i.e. the camouflage is practically useless. However, when you're not looking (overwhelming majority of your time) it really does just look like a pile of leaves in the grass.
    Which, of course, means there are a ton of "close encounters" that hikers/humans never even know about, when snakes did not bite, but don't get credit for their passivity and good instinctive sense. We only hear about the bad/scary encounters, thus are ingrained only to think bad/scary stuff, when that's not factual or rational in the scheme of things. Plenty of other things in life are much more dangerous to us in fact than scary, boogey-man snakes.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

This thread makes my point I think.

1. Bears - hang your food, take precautions - you may be attacked!!

2. Snakes - harmless little critters that won't bother you if you don't bother them.

But from what I can tell more people have been bitten by snakes for whatever reason than have been attacked by bears.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

the real scoundrels are Spiders.

I know of two instances, first hand, where hikers required ER treatment due to spider bites. Both tried to tough it out for days and finally got too sick to continue. Neither was aware of being bitten.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Quote Originally Posted by Migrating Bird View Post
    Here is part of an article from the Berkshire Eagle from July 8, 2009. As I recall the researcher was trying to capture a timber rattlesnake and a second snake which he did not see bite him. He was on or near the AT in the area of Race Brook.

Berkshire Eagle, The (Pittsfield, MA) - Wednesday, July 8, 2009
    Author: Trevor Jones , Berkshire Eagle Staff

Thursday, July 09 SHEFFIELD -- A researcher is recovering from a wild timber rattlesnake's bite that occurred over the weekend, only the second of its kind in the state's modern history, according to officials.

The state's Environmental Police refused to idenfity the man, saying the matter remains under investigation.

But the man is recovering from the snake bite, according to Tom French, MassWildlife assistant director for natural heritage and endangered species.

A group was researching timber rattlesnakes Saturday morning on the Race Brook Trail off South Undermountain Road in Sheffield, when the venomous snake bit one of them in his right calf, according to police logs.

Rattlesnake bites are extremely rare in Massachusetts. The only other wild rattlesnake bite on record took place in the 1950s, according to French.

Rattlesnakes typically only bite when provoked, said French. He said the researcher was photographing a snake they had been studying for some time, when another snake he was unaware of bit him.

"It was an actual accident where the person was not deliberately dealing with the snake that bit them, got too close to it, and it lashed out and bit them," said French.

The victim walked to the road on his own. While the wound was not believed to be life-threatening at the time, he was later transported by helicopter to an undisclosed hospital.

Timber rattlesnake venom can be fatal, causing swelling, along with damage to skin and muscle tissue by the explosion of blood cells. There are no records of anyone in the state dying from the snakes bite though, and French said the victims wounds were not severe and the damage remained local.

Timber rattlesnakes can grow up to 6 feet long, and can be yellow, gray, dark brown or black, with dark V-shaped crossbands on their back. Along with copperhead snake, they are the state's only indigenous venomous snake.

Once prevalent throughout the Northeast and down the Appalachian trail, the snakes are now extremely rare and have been eliminated in several states. They are currently listed on the state's endangered animals list, living in four regions in roughly eight isolated groups. While no measurement has been conducted on their remaining numbers in Massachusetts, there may be fewer than 200 left, according to French.

The reason so few remain, French said, is the declining habitat and continued killings by humans that see them as a threat.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I also came across a rattlesnake that didn't rattle until I passed him. He was in the grass on the edge of the trail (in this section the trail was only about a foot wide) so I and the person behind me must have come really close to stepping on him, because once we passed by about two steps we heard that distinctive rattle sound. I guess he was in a slumber and we woke him by walking by. The point being is that they don't always warn you to stay away like everyone likes to say. Sometime they're just like a little landmines, well hidden just waiting to be stepped on.
    I have heard people say it's usually the 3rd passer by that gets bit. I don't think they are sleeping, maybe, but I think more so they just aren't looking for trouble and you are surprising them too so they aren't reacting until several big noisy things almost step on them then they are like..'enough of this, leave me alone'. Maybe I am assuming too much

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Which, of course, means there are a ton of "close encounters" that hikers/humans never even know about, when snakes did not bite, but don't get credit for their passivity and good instinctive sense. We only hear about the bad/scary encounters, thus are ingrained only to think bad/scary stuff, when that's not factual or rational in the scheme of things. Plenty of other things in life are much more dangerous to us in fact than scary, boogey-man snakes.

RainMan

I agree.

Also I would say, if a person gets bit while handling a snake, it does not concern me nor do I think it *counts* really. If you play with fire you will get burned.

Also, as far as the guy being bitten under the berry bush...I have also read that snakes hang near berry bushes because of the birds and mice that visit for the berries. It's a snakes version of hunting over a food plot

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Somewhere on here is a reputable report from a newspaper about a woman being bit by a copperhead walking to a privy from a shelter. If I remember right there were a few people here on WB that confirmed it.

But, no, I haven't *personally* met anyone.
    From your first post, I thought you were referring to a post I made reporting a copperhead bite at the Ed Garvey Shelter in Maryland. The hiker was going to the privy in the dark and was struck. My source was the PATC newsletter. Don't remember when - 1-2 years ago. Didn't look it up.

Images

most people that get bit by poisonous snakes are religious snake handlers or other such morons - mainly on the hands. I have always maintained that if you are reasonably watchful of where you sit and where you stick your hands, you will be fine - now, all that said, I spend a whole lot of time out there and I've seen more poisonous snakes in 2011 than I have in most years - about 6 so far this year - two timber rattlers together in a pile - second time I've seen this - pertty cool - anyway, that's a lot and I have heard of two rock climbers in NC bitten - one on her butt and another on a hand - both by copperheads, both ok. Maybe just a strange year. No reason to worry about such stuff - lots of better things to worry about ..... don't kill snakes, don't bother snakes, watch for snakes but don't worry about them - have fun.

Journal Entries
    Images

Why picking up can antagonize most rattlers (and why people deserve to get a bite.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zylpMjPbykw
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I think it is easy to not see many snakes on or near the trail, especially when some hikers get into the "zone" and concentrate on making miles and look at the scenery and not the foot bed as often. Ive stepped too close to a rattler south of Waynesboro curled up on the trail..didn't even notice him at first, no noise, I luckily saw it and back stepped fast as I could. I wonder how many snakes we pass that we do not see...

The first-aid advice of "keep your heart rate down" is a good one. Seriously? As the pain zings through you like a hundred bee stings, and then all the dreadful thoughts (rational or irrational) of dying, losing a limb, the sickness about to beset you, and the half-day walk to assistance.... keep your heart rate down? I think I would have a tough time with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by bad marriage View Post
    The first-aid advice of "keep your heart rate down" is a good one. Seriously? As the pain zings through you like a hundred bee stings, and then all the dreadful thoughts (rational or irrational) of dying, losing a limb, the sickness about to beset you, and the half-day walk to assistance.... keep your heart rate down? I think I would have a tough time with this one.
    I've thought about the same thing, I think it is a matter of keep it down as best you can. Rather than screaming, yelling, panicking, trying to run out, etc. Calmly make your way out at a normal pace, try to stay calm as best you can and get to a hospital with as little exertion as is possible in your situation/location.

Snake-dar...scan, scan, scan. And have a concrete plan in your head before you get bit. Lots of poisonous snakes around my house and I am always looking for them. Not in a fearful way, but in a "this is just part of life" kind of way.
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

Images

This rattle snake was six feet from the AT near Rocky Top in the Smokies. Someone on the trail crew I was with spotted it. It made no noise and never moved. One of the guys said "that is the small one, the big one crawled under the rock you are standing on". I got only one picture.SWEAT 020.jpg

snake bites and spider bites are really close look like..
    my dog was bitten and i was scared that was snake, but docot reconize that was spider bite..
    Two holes in the bitten area in the both circumstances.

1.jpg2.jpg

As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I was hiking in 2010 (I was known as Vancouver back then) from springer to the NOC and the group I had made friends with all met up at Ron Haven's hotel in Franklin,NC. One of the guys (Chopsticks) cut across a field on his way the Lowe's and got bit in the back of his thigh. FYI if you get bit make sure you know what snake bit you because the EMT couldn't give him anti-venom until they knew for sure. Animal patrol bet the bushes and killed 3 rattle snakes, one was the Timber rattler that bit him. Also it was a dry bite but the venom on the fangs created problems. He was able to continue his hike.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Phlox View Post
    I live out on my farm which is half thickly wooded. There are Cane Brake Rattlers, Copperheads and Cottonmouths. Big ones and in the yard and around the house. Well, I guess not Cottonmouths anymore because of out exceptional drought over the last years. Anyway, I have snake-dar, I am always looking looking looking for snakes. I sure would be embarrassed if I got bit on the AT!
    Had to look that one up - never heard of it...

canebrake1.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Canebrake Rattlers are a native species here in southeastern Virginia.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++