WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Needle and thread treatment for blisters

Everyone has their own favorite treatment option. I have mine, but I wanted to pin down (ha!) the technique, wisdom, and success rate for this treatment, recommended by some of the professional hikers (Erik the Black, etc.).

Here's the technique: Sterilize the blister area and a threaded needle. Insert the needle into one edge of the blister, aim the point at the opposite edge, and pull the needle through, leaving the thread inside the blister. Trim the thread off at either end of the blister, leaving a 'tail' on each end. Leave it this way overnight. The blister fluid will drain though the ends of the thread and the blister will deflate, leaving a callus in the morning.

Aside from the risk of incompletely sterilizing the blister, needle, and thread, here are some questions:

1. What do you use for sterilizing? Stove alcohol (is the methyl in denatured too dangerous?)? Boil the needle and thread, and good luck for the skin? Booze, if you have it? Carry isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol? Hand sanitizer?

2. What kind of thread should you use? Normal sewing thread? Nylon? Dental floss (don't think so, but it's an option).

3. Do you pull the thread out? If yes, when? In the morning, 24 hours, etc. If not, do you trim the ends flush after the fluid is out?

4. If you leave the thread in indefinitely, what happens to the thread, assuming some of it is not absorbed?

5. Should you carry a sterile suture kit, with absorbable sutures, for this treatment and avoid any of the above?

And finally, does it work? What kind of adverse outcome, if any?

Thanks.

Wow. And to think I just pop them.

It works for me. I use stove alcohol. Regular thread. cover with Neosporin and band aid. I pull the thread the next day after it has drained.

I don't understand the purpose of the thread. If you poke two holes, why wouldn't the fluid just drain from them?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bobqzzi View Post
    I don't understand the purpose of the thread. If you poke two holes, why wouldn't the fluid just drain from them?
    they close up rather quickly and the blisters refill with fluid. the thread ensures it stays open so all the fluid will drain and dry out.

Just squeeze it out and see how far you can squirt it. Geez, what'll do for fun on the trail

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Just squeeze it out and see how far you can squirt it. Geez, what'll do for fun on the trail
    What could be more fun than making people faint as you push that needle in and pull the thread through?

Can't comment on the message, but I would not be concerned using denatured alcohol. The amount of non-ethanol you would be exposed to would be so minimal.

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I would treat blisters in the evening by cleaning and swabbing the blister and the needle with alcohol. Pop the blister and squeeze out all the liquid, absorb the last bit with gauze. Then dab on some antibiotic ointment and cover with a bandaid. It will be pretty much healed by morning.
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Images

This ^^.

I've never had blisters refill with fluid when I do a good squeezing. That said, I did help the vet once when my cat had to have a blister threaded and was the one to remove the thread. Normal thread works.

If a blister ruptures you need to fully remove it (cut it off) and keep a sterile bandage on it (changed regularly) until it heals. The idea here is to not provide an anaerobic environment for gangrene (among other nasties) to form.

++ New Posts ++