WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Default Thruhike Mentor?

I know an experienced AT thruhiker that is offering his service to one hiker per year. He will help the right client plan a thruhike, buy the right gear, train and prepare. Then on the trail he will actually mentor the client all along the trail as a partner but hiking at the clients pace. He would advise and encourage based on his experience as a 2 time successful thruhiker. While this will NOT be a supported hike... no van or anything, the mentor would be willing to carry a lot of the clients load as well as his own. The mentor would like to offer this to the man or woman that wants to thruhike but may want or need the extra support from a constant; on the trail, coach. This may not be attractive to most people but then again, he only wants one client per year. Do you think he would find someone that would want this type of service?

I have know this man for several years and he is a straightup nice man. He is very much the Southern Gentleman and extremely trustworthy. He is well known and would have plenty of references from other hikers.

What are your thoughts on his one on one plan?

Hmmm. Would it be the "clients" hike though? What is the "right" gear? Most of the folks on these websites are good mentors but usually one on on partnerships on the trail do not work out. A person needs to learn and discover on their own. Would the mentor be willing to let the client go on alone when he/she gains confidence? I've got tons of experience but it's my experience and my way of hiking wouldn't work for the majority folks. BUT, someone might want/need this sort of hike. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Janet

Well, by the time they reach Damascus, provided they do, that little fledgling will probably be ready to fly on his/her own. Unless the two strike up an extraordinary friendship, or the newbie has some physical limitation that requires someone to carry their possesions, I don't see the relationship being all that beneficial after 450 miles (plus or minus).

Just my opinion.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

I could see this somewhat, sort of like a personal trainer to get you started on the AT. Personally I wouldn't want tobe either of these people.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries
    Images

Default hiking mentor

[I]I'd look to a hiking Mentor for suggestions...but, not to hike my hike for me!

theres something to be said...for...letting the hiker gain knowledge on their own....its lessons learned...(maybe the hard way)..BUT, never forgotten
    ![/
    I]
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

I know an experienced AT thruhiker that is offering his service to one hiker per year. He will help the right client plan a thruhike, buy the right gear, train and prepare. Then on the trail he will actually mentor the client all along the trail as a partner but hiking at the clients pace. He would advise and encourage based on his experience as a 2 time successful thruhiker. While this will NOT be a supported hike... no van or anything, the mentor would be willing to carry a lot of the clients load as well as his own. The mentor would like to offer this to the man or woman that wants to thruhike but may want or need the extra support from a constant; on the trail, coach. This may not be attractive to most people but then again, he only wants one client per year. Do you think he would find someone that would want this type of service?

I have know this man for several years and he is a straightup nice man. He is very much the Southern Gentleman and extremely trustworthy. He is well known and would have plenty of references from other hikers.

Call it what he wants, but isn't this just a guide service? Isn't that kind of commercial enterprise not allowed on the AT?

Doesn't sound like the "mentor" is charging any kind of fee, just doing something out of the goodness of his heart. Nothing commercial about it.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Doesn't sound like the "mentor" is charging any kind of fee, just doing something out of the goodness of his heart. Nothing commercial about it.

Maybe this nice fellow could accompany the individual from Springer to Damascus. Then Lone Wolf could take over and "unlearn" that person. You know, teach them about blue blazin' & hell raisin' and whatnot.

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Miss Janet - Is the mentor looking to charge a fee?

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

What a crock.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

After reading the post again it does kinda sound like he may charge a fee. hmmm. Miss Janet?

...snip...

It sounds to me like he wants to get paid to walk slow. LOL.

Anyway, I can't imagine why anybody would want a coach for the whole trail. But, I suppose a person might want to have somebody help them get started. Although they could get the same thing for free from WhiteBlaze and other sources.

If it is even legal, his best bet might be to help people get started, then walk just the first week or so with them. After that, they should go on by themselves. Otherwise the coaching isn't working, is it?

So, instead of one long coaching job, perhaps he would be arranging multiple short coaching jobs.

The Cheat

Keep in mind that this is considered a commercial use and SUP (Special Use Permits) would be required to keep it legal. I have had a outfitters permit for leading AMC NH chapter hikes in the Whites. Some others have actually done guided A.T. hikes without permits and have had run-ins with the law. NotYet has explained her carefully planned proposed guided hike on another thread on WB and her comments on staying legal are well worth reading.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I know an experienced AT thruhiker that is offering his service to one hiker per year. He will help the right client plan a thruhike, buy the right gear, train and prepare.
    =========================================
    Dunno ...that would take a lot of trust. I like the idea of getting input from multiple sources and then doing my own thing. But that's just me ...maybe some hikers would go for this idea ???

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by hikerjohnd
    Call it what he wants, but isn't this just a guide service? Isn't that kind of commercial enterprise not allowed on the AT?
    I guess I need some enlightening here, because I'm not sure what you are talking about. Who or what is not allowing commercial enterprise on the AT?
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    I guess I need some enlightening here, because I'm not sure what you are talking about. Who or what is not allowing commercial enterprise on the AT?
    Any commercial enterprise in a National Park (which the AT is) or a National Forest requires a permit. Try and run a shuttle service to Springer without a permit, and see what happens.

Default Re

if one person tries to thru, who whould have otherwise never have tried.... then i think its a good idea...

i dont think of a mentor as someone you buy like a coach, trainer, or sherpa.... IMO a mentor's teachings are free to the selected student

Images

Lightbulb Go straight to the Horse's Mouth?

Have the guide or the client contact the National Park Service at http://www.nps.gov/appa/ to ask if the proposed services are legal and/or require any permits, etc.?

We're all guessing about this and that, facts and law. Why guess when they can KNOW?

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

This kind of mentoring might be what a single female might look for. Lot's of women don't hike alone, this might be an answer for them.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lilredmg
    This kind of mentoring might be what a single female might look for. Lot's of women don't hike alone, this might be an answer for them.
    Yah but why pay for it when they can go out on the trail and get followed by 20 guys for free?
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++