Default best boots after foot/ankle injuries?

I'm in the market for new boots, especially after recently fracturing my foot and 2 major ankle sprains (one typical, one high ankle sprain on the same leg) in the past. Any suggestions for something lightweight and appropriate for thru-hiking/3month long section hikes? Thanks!!

Noob

I don't know if they're the best but I really love my Oboz. I'm sure some will call them heavy but I'm not complaining.

I fractured the fifth metataursal on my right foot about eight weeks ago and though it is considered healed I still have a bit of discomfort. However, it doesn't seem to be as bothersome when I wear my new Vasque Breeze hightops. I picked them up for sale at the Frugal Backpacker in Fletcher, NC. The footbox is wide enough to give my injured foot room and the boot can be laced up tightly above the ankle for support. I sure hope this works since I leave for Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine on Sunday. BTW, I see you are in Clemson. I'll be up there tomorrow for a beekeeping meeting.

Journal Entries
    Images

i suggest you talk to a podiatrist & get professional advise
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

I believe Shug over at hammockforums often wears a set of comfortable braces when he hikes. You could ask him where he got them.

Oh and +1 for getting professional advice. You don't mess around with your feet/ankles - you need em for hiking!

I would also suggest you talk to a podiatrist or physical therapist to see if you need a specific arch support for over suppination or pronation problems (either can make you more succeptible to sprains and fractures).

I fractured my left tib/fib as well as the cuboid and heel and tore the peroneal while on the AT in 08. Since casting, rehab, surgery, rehab...what used to be a high arch is now a fallen arch and an ankle that is more sensitive where the top of all of my boots normally fall . So far i've been able to solve that problem in one pair of boots by using a foam pad between the boot and ankle for cushion. In the other pair of boots I use a higher arch support for comfort.

After spraining at least one ankle or the other each year for 45 years, tearing ligaments several times and finally breaking both ankles in simple falls, I finally found out that I have a balance receptor problem. After all that damage, my ankles were shot.

I now wear a pair of T2 Athletic Ankle braces and hike with hiking poles. The poles act as an outrigger for my balance problems and the T2's prevent me from ever rolling an ankle.

I highly recommend them to anyone who has ongoing ankle problems. They've given me the freedom to keep on doing what I like doing as opposed to the recommendation of the orthaepedic surgeon who put the screws in the last broken ankle...his idea was for me to quit putting myself at risk....sigh!!

Everyone's feet are different! Go to an outfitter who knows how to fit shoes and get their recommendations.
    I spent over 45 minutes when I got my Vasque Breeze boots, and my ankles really love them. After too many twists and sprains, I can go on and on with no ankle problems, even over rough terrain. 3# for boots and smartwool socks is not too heavy for the ankle benefits for me.

You may need the recommendations of an orthopedist who specializes in athletics too.

++ New Posts ++