Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pack

Images

Default Pack

I bought a GoLite Pinnacle and found that I am not an ultralight hiker. So it's time for a new pack!

Any suggestions for a great 50 L pack (60 at very most) that has decent padding and is comfortable? Thanks!

Images

Granite Gear makes some awesome packs. I just bought a Nimbus Trace and I LOVE it.

Images

I've got a Gregory Z55, and its pretty awesome, but I only use a pack that big for winter hiking, I've also got a Z35 and its great for 3 season. I'm not sure in the weight though, I worried about that stuff for long enough. The padding and suspension are great, good amount of features. You can carry alot in a Gregory and it doesn't feel like alot, which is great. they can be pricey, look for a model that's a year old. Check out campmor and reioutlet.
    can't never did

Images

I'm not really worried too much about weight anymore either I think I'd rather have comfort. I don't know if all my gear will fit in a 38L pack... but it's worth looking in to. I need a pack that will support at least 5 days of hiking solo.

Hike smarter, not harder.

ULA Circuit. Help a company in Utah make their payroll.
    Last edited by skinewmexico; 09-02-2011 at 09:19.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Anything by Osprey. Their packs are maybe a tad on the heavy side but very comfortable to wear.
    I have an Ariel 65L and love it.

Osprey Aura 50 or 65. I freaking love this bag; it has great ventilation and decent hip padding (I don't tend to need extra padding). I especially like the 65 because of the sleeping bag compartment, but I have heard great things about the 50. CHECK IT OUT!
    Rhapsodist

Images

+++ for the Osprey. I have the Aura 50 and Love it.

Someone mentioned Gregory earlier. The women's version of the Z55 is the Jade 50. It's a great pack, very comfortable and stable, and holds surprisingly a lot. Another company to check out is Deuter, fairly new to the US market but is lightweight, very adjustable (a selling point for me since I loan out packs often), and has all the same features one would expect from a serious backpacking pack. Plus, the prices are comparable or cheaper to other companies. I have a Deuter ACT 60+10 SL that I'm looking to sell if you're interested.

Images

i just picked up a black diamond infinity and love it! it's got a ball joint in the hip belt that helps the pack move better with the torso...very nice...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Also forgot to mention, depending on body type, men's packs are very similar to women's packs but I have noticed a few differences, such as in the spacing of the shoulder straps (women's are narrower), the hip belts on women's packs are either a little thicker or shaped a little differently to contour hips better, and the torso lengths tend to run smaller. All that to say, +1 on Osprey packs, if they offered more packs with a shorter torso length, I'd be all over 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyGirl View Post
    Anything by Osprey. Their packs are maybe a tad on the heavy side but very comfortable to wear.
    I have an Ariel 65L and love it.
    This!

I plan on heading out with a Gossamer Gear bag, but it rates only up to 30lbs. If I had to go with a pack that could handle more, I'd go with Osprey

Quote Originally Posted by hikergurl View Post
    Also forgot to mention, depending on body type, men's packs are very similar to women's packs but I have noticed a few differences, such as in the spacing of the shoulder straps (women's are narrower), the hip belts on women's packs are either a little thicker or shaped a little differently to contour hips better, and the torso lengths tend to run smaller. All that to say, +1 on Osprey packs, if they offered more packs with a shorter torso length, I'd be all over 'em.
    I'm tall and in the Army, so I'm used to using men's equipment instead of females, but IF you find a pack that fits all your needs and it is a men's, do yourself a favor and try it out in a store (filled, of course). That hipbelt is the difference between making it on a hiking trip, and being miserable until you find the next outfitter to buy a new pack.

Images

++++ for the Osprey. My wife went through many packs, from ultralight to big monster packs, and her favorite by far has been the Osprey Ariel 55.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

The best pack ever for one person may be a disaster for you. Go to an outfitter. Try on several packs, with a full load. Walk up and down stairs and all around the store for an hour EACH. Then pick. If can't buy in person, buy from a place with an iron clad satisfaction guaranty (sp) such as REI.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    The best pack ever for one person may be a disaster for you. Go to an outfitter. Try on several packs, with a full load. Walk up and down stairs and all around the store for an hour EACH. Then pick. If can't buy in person, buy from a place with an iron clad satisfaction guaranty (sp) such as REI.
    +1 on this.

That said, a +1 for Gregory packs - which I found by going to an outfitter and trying several different brands. I have both a Gregory Jade (55L in medium) and a Gregory Tega (48L in medium). Love them both, although I tend to use the Jade more often (for the pockets on the hip belt). They carry weight well.

Journal Entries

The lighter your pack, the less it will matter. The heavier it is, the more critical it may be for you. Whatever you do, try it out with the weight you intend to carry. If you will carry 40 lbs, put at least enough in the pack to weigh 40 lbs when you test it out, NOT just 15 or 20 lbs. And at least 30 min or so walking around with it is recommended too.

Just a quick question from a newbie here - all other things being equal, would you recommend getting a larger pack or smaller and force yourself to pack accordingly?
    My husband and I are looking at gear to start doing multi-day hikes. We've only done day hikes before where at most we'd be taking some water and a snack, or car camping where we'd have a hundred yards tops to haul stuff in and didn't have to worry about weight or packing light.

If we'll be doing 3-day trips most often, and maybe a week-long hike every now and then, will a 40L pack cut it for me, or should I look at a larger one?

If it matters, I've been looking at the Kelty Coyote 75 and Locus 40 at a local shop.

You can have comfort and lightweight. I think my base pack weight is somewhere around 12 lbs, and I am good to about 10 degrees with what I carry.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaBroun View Post
    Just a quick question from a newbie here - all other things being equal, would you recommend getting a larger pack or smaller and force yourself to pack accordingly?
    My husband and I are looking at gear to start doing multi-day hikes. We've only done day hikes before where at most we'd be taking some water and a snack, or car camping where we'd have a hundred yards tops to haul stuff in and didn't have to worry about weight or packing light.

If we'll be doing 3-day trips most often, and maybe a week-long hike every now and then, will a 40L pack cut it for me, or should I look at a larger one?

If it matters, I've been looking at the Kelty Coyote 75 and Locus 40 at a local shop.
    Personally, I'd go a little bigger so I had the capacity for a week-long hike, then plan to cinch it down if I was doing a shorter hike.

Is the Kelty almost twice the size of the Locus? That sounds like too much, but you need to size your pack to what you will be carrying. I started with a 48L, and it was a squeeze for an overnighter. Then I changed out my sleeping bag, and my gear was a comfortable fit. It was still a squeeze for a week-long hike though, so I got a 55L pack too.

-FA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++