WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Not sure to go bigger or smaller

Heading NoBo march of 2012 not sure whether to get the Osprey Aether 70 or 85, would the 85 be way to big?

p.s. this is my first thru hike attempt ever

Quote Originally Posted by thepokerkid227 View Post
    Heading NoBo march of 2012 not sure whether to get the Osprey Aether 70 or 85, would the 85 be way to big?

p.s. this is my first thru hike attempt ever
    Wow for ME, they both sound to big! I use an Osprey exos 46 with room to spare, sorta.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Once I get a complete gear list ill post it up to see opinions

Images

You get to carry your choice so take your stuff to the store see what one it fits in with room for food and get that one.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Images

4,000 cubic inches (65 liters) is plenty big enough for a thru. The need for resupply will be every 4 or 5 days so no need to take anything larger. Aether 70 is fine , a bit heavy but a sturdy pack that can carry large loads.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Now im leaning towards the Gregory Makalu Pro Pack, ugh decisions decisons. . .http://www.rei.com/product/721158/gr...akalu-pro-pack

I purchased an Osprey Kestrel 68 a few weeks ago for my AT thru-hike this year and now that I've put a few hundred test miles on it I feel its perfect for thru-hiking. I didn't have the budget to get all tiny lightweight gear and the 68L is plenty of room for everything to fit, its got a built in rain cover, enough pockets to arrange gear the way you want and very rugged so far... and you would save a pound vs the Aether 70.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by thepokerkid227 View Post
    Now im leaning towards the Gregory Makalu Pro Pack, ugh decisions decisons. . .http://www.rei.com/product/721158/gr...akalu-pro-pack
    Why don't you save yourself a couple of pounds, $50-100, and buy a ULA Catalyst or Circuit. Saves a few US jobs in Utah too.
    Last edited by skinewmexico; 07-15-2011 at 09:30.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Are there any retail stores that stock ULA packs? I'd like to try one on before buying.

Are there any retail stores that stock ULA packs? I'd like to try one on before buying.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Actually, there are some stores that are stocking ULA now. You'd have to check their web page to find them.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/community.asp
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I have a couple of buddies on the trail currently that HAD the aether 70 but it is WAY too big for thru hiking in my opinion. 2 of my friends upgraded (downgraded?) To osprey packs in the 40 to 50 liter range. As others have suggested though, take a long look at ULA. If you do decide you need a larger pack, be sure to buy one that compresses well once you get your gear figured out on trail. Like an osprey exos, or a ula circuit/catalyst

You'll end up filling a too big pack with too much stuff. It will make your hike more miserable than it has to be. I hiked the PCT with around 12lbs of gear and a 4000cu in pack (which was too big except the day after a resupply). Another 12lbs of water and food made for a comfortable weight.

Isn't there some kind of trail event before March where you can see the lighterweight/cottage gear stuff?
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Journal Entries

damn. i've got an osprey 70.... thought it was a good pack.... don't tell me have have to take it back and get a smaller one!

Quote Originally Posted by ekeverette View Post
    damn. i've got an osprey 70.... thought it was a good pack.... don't tell me have have to take it back and get a smaller one!
    Don't let the gram weenies dictate to you... HYOH

The Osprey Aether Series is probably the best all around pack I've seen for typical, long distance hiking. The are brilliant.

Yes, there are lighter packs. But can you get away with em? Maybe, maybe not.

Most (not all) people I've seen wearing ULA have crap all over the outside of them and carrying 30lbs anyway, what's the point? I have a ULA but if it tipped the scales over 25 I would go to my Aether 60 personally, the pack peforms much better, fits much better, more stable, carries better and compresses much better. But my pack doesn't seem to reach 28-30lbs anymore, hence I use the lighter ULA.

An Aether 70 is big enough for a thru-hike of the AT, I would avoid taking an 85 as it's quite large and you WILL FILL whatever you buy. However, it's better ot have an 85 liter pack full and compressed, then a 70 liter pack with crap on the outside - after all, we buy packs to put our gear in. Lashing gear outside is for externals, most people don't realize that. The exception might be a light, closed cell foam pad.

Do what is right for you - asking people about packs is like asking them what they like to eat, it's very personal. Gregory also makes great packs, as does Granite Gear, there is alot out there. Base your decisions on FEEL, nothing else. Not even $$$

ULA will let you return packs, you can buy them, wear em around the house, and send them back - not a bad compromise.

What is the main difference between these two other than the weight?
    Osprey Aether (Large, 63L) for 5#/1oz
    Osprey Atmos (Large, 68L) for 3#/12oz
    Everyone seems to talk about the Aether series and little about the Atmos. Does the Atmos not work well for trail hiking? They look to me to be similar but the Atmos is a lot lighter.
    I'm looking for gear for week long section AT hiking at a total under 30# gear, food and water and saving over a lb on the pack is a lot. (I've done a shake down hike at nearly 40# and got to get it down!)

Images

Ive got the Osprey atmos 65 , which is more than big enough to fit all my gear. Its been bombproof for 2 years,, comfortable light, and well ventilated.

Quote Originally Posted by ekeverette View Post
    Personnaly, I don't buy into the hype of going to the smallest, lightest pack I can find. I was going to buy an Aether 70 but found the Aether 85 is virtually the same weight. Yes, it is 5 lbs. 1 ounce, but before everyone crings let me say I've managed to get my full load pack weight with 4 days food, 2 liters water to 28 lbs. I bought the lightest equipment on the market.

I have the advantage of a solid, rigid backframe that is well ventilated, and nothing beats the comfort of the Aether 85, for me at least. I don't have to worry how it's packed or what is against my back, the comfort is always the same. Yet I still enjoy the light weight at 28 lbs.

Images

Check out hyperlight mountain gear............cuben fiber pack. The more I am at this the less I need or take with me..........ULA packs are super, less is more.......lightweight is the way to go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++