WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Heineken keg-can pot -- how to remove from stove,cone, etc. after it heats up.

I have a myog caldera cone that I use with the Heineken keg-can. I use a silicone bracelet of the "live-strong" variety to secure the keg-can in the cone. While this keeps everything functional... it is still VERY hot after it reaches around a simmer (especially if you are boiling a full two cups) and I definitely can't pick up and pour the water in the can from the band with out burning myself. I actually tried stacking the silicone bands to see if I could grab it then, but it is still burn-status hot even with that addition.

With a second silicone bracelet at the lip of the pot, an AGG aluminum clamp handle (around 1.25 ounce) works well and doesn't damage the can at all. While this works great, it is a bit heavy respectively to the rest of the stove set-up.

What are the rest of you using to remove your keg-cans from your stove system and pour?

ARGH! Just noticed the post "is wrapping a Heineken pot a waste of time". Sadly used the wrong search parameters on this one. If anyone has anything they didn't discuss in the post below please share.

Journal Entries
    Images

?????????? bandana!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I put one wrap of silicone rescue tape around just for something for grip and use a wool glove.
    I also have a flip lock bail handle on mine made from SS wire.

Images

I put a bail on mine with picture hanging wire.

I've been using the Caldera Keg F on my thru hike this year, and like Wise Old Owl suggested, a bandana does the trick. Just twist the bandana lengthwise, wrap it around the keg and use the ends to grip and pour. I also have the clamp handle but didn't bring it with me. It's super light, so I'm sure it doesn't detract from the stove system. Whatever works! (Personally, I didn't care much for the keg as a pot. I'm going to attempt going stoveless this time around)

Very interesting suggestions. appreciate it guys! Going to try out the bandanna and see how it works

Bandana worked perfectly. Thank you for the tip. "I also have a flip lock bail handle on mine made from SS wire.." I thought about trying this if the bandana didn't work, but as a multi purpose tool it can't be beat since I bring one anyway.

Images

I added a stainless steel wire bail to a keg and it worked just fine for me.

Look at the 1st and 2nd photos in the comment I made in this thread:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...l=1#post341483

I made two thimbles out of small scraps of reflectix and the metallic tape used for heat duct work. This weighs nothing (or near so) and works well.

That looks really good zelph! I know this is a bit unrelated but on your older post you showed the color of the pot changing from the heat. I lightly sanded and painted the bottom half of my can and sprayed it with black stove paint and it seems to be holding strong change free after like 20 "practice" boils.

++ New Posts ++