WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Old Job Trail Blue Blaze

I'd be curious to hear people's impressions of the Old Job trail in Vermont. I hiked by it last fall on a weekend hike while (stayed on AT) but I was curious about it. Apparently it's the old, lowland route of the AT before re-routing over the mountains. Still has a shelter on it (so I've heard) and the remains of an old logging camp. If I recall correctly, it starts just north of Mad Tom Notch.

When I hike the Long Trail this fall, I was thinking about blue-blazing the Old Job, just to see what it's like. Does anyone here have any opinions about it? Should I skip it and go over the mountains again?

Old Job is nice, follows a beautiful stream for a long way. However, the mountain view is one of the best in Vermont. Old Job is no short cut, in fact I think it's longer than the AT.

Mrs Gorp
    Images

Default Old Job Trail and Shelter

If you have a yen for a view then follow the AT/LT over Baker Peak. If you want to follow an old logging road along Lake Brook take the meandering Old Job Trail. After this trail intersects with USFS 30 it's a bit washed out, but passable. The Old Job Shelter is still there and usable. It's a bit quieter at Old Job than Big Branch, but on a weekend, both shelters can be very crowded.
    Cin

Images

Default old job trail

In favor of the old job trail via the AT/LT which I have hiked both quite a bit and have used them to form a day loop hike. Chomp may still have some of the pictures we took on one of the hikes. On the old job trail there is the BIGGEST pile of sawdust just plain in the middle of the woods that I have ever seen. After doing a little research we found out that this area used to actually be the site of an old mill hundreds of years ago and actually there is still remnants of building structures in the area if you look close enough. Before Danby (one of the resupply areas) exsisted the trail runs through where one of the original and oldest towns once exsisted. We actually found out the name of the now ancient town, but I have forgotten it. I know we posted all the information on the pictures he took that should be on chomps page somewhere. I'll try and find the link with pictures of the trail ect...
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

Ask and you shall receive:

http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-jacksuit?&page=2

This was a dual-album. Jack got dressed up in a suit, so that was the first half. Blister and I's hike on the LT and Old Job Trail was the second part. The Old Job Trail was very nice, and the shelter is in great condition. Right next to the shelter is a cool suspension bridge over the river.

Excellent. This is great stuff. Thanks all

I loved Baker Peak and the views but I'm looking for something a little different this time so I think I'll go left after the suspension bridge and check out the Old Job.

++ New Posts ++