Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
Results 181 to 192 of 192
  1. #181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    Camp at Nauman Tentsite [$8 fee]

    Option A: Hike through to the Perch [RMC - $12 fee ?]

    Option B: Drop off the trail down the Jewell Trail until you are below treeline and then find a site 200 feet off the trail

    Option C: Hike through to Osgood campsite

    These are long days but doable and legal.
    The Perch is $8.00, Crag camp or Gray Knob (cabins) are a whole $13 now.

    Good luck finding a camp site off the Jewell trail - until your at the bottom!
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  2. #182
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2012
    Location
    Sugar Hill, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    299

    Default

    dgposey - It's quite simple really. Don't count on work for stay and DEFINITELY don't count on stealth camping above timberline. If the price is out of your league, don't get mad at the AMC, just spend about 10 minutes planning your route through the Whites with stays at the many dhelter and tent sites available throughout them. Yes, you'll have to spend a whole $8 or $9 to stay at a few of them and yes you'll actually have to hike down to get to them and hike back up the next day. You're a thru hiker for crying out loud. You've hiked nearly 2000 miles to this point and spent several thousand dollars. What's the big deal?

  3. #183
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-15-2011
    Location
    Lowell, MA
    Posts
    1,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The Perch is $8.00, Crag camp or Gray Knob (cabins) are a whole $13 now.

    Good luck finding a camp site off the Jewell trail - until your at the bottom!
    Nothing like the Northern Presidentials. I remember paying a buck at Crag Camp and Gray Knob, lol.

  4. #184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Nothing like the Northern Presidentials. I remember paying a buck at Crag Camp and Gray Knob, lol.
    When I was caretaker there I collected $5.00 1987-88 The log cabin and The Perch were $2.00 Darn inflation!
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  5. #185
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2012
    Location
    Sugar Hill, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    299

    Default

    For anyone who is truly interested in getting through the Whites without staying at a hut, and not just whining or baying at the moon, I offer this.
    Day 1 Eliza shelter to Liberty Spring Tent site 11.4 mi $8
    Day 2 Liberty Spring Tent site to Guyot Shelter and Tentsite 14.0 mi $8
    Day 3 Guyot to Neuman Tent Site 19.2 mi $8 (This is mostly pretty flat but if this seems too long, break in half and stay at Ethan Pond Shelter $8)
    Day 4 Neuman to Valley Way tent site 12.4 -0-
    Day 5 Valley way to Carter Notch - easy to stealth there. 14.3 -0-
    So for $24, $32 if you're slow, you can easily get through the Whites. Hope this helps.

  6. #186
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-15-2011
    Location
    Lowell, MA
    Posts
    1,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    When I was caretaker there I collected $5.00 1987-88 The log cabin and The Perch were $2.00 Darn inflation!
    I missed you by a few years. I took groups out in the summer, through '85, associated with a boys camp in Madison. My son does the same now, and wants to finish his thru-hike by mid-June to start the summer there.

  7. #187
    Registered User Loneoak's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-01-2010
    Location
    TN
    Age
    64
    Posts
    307
    Images
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    For anyone who is truly interested in getting through the Whites without staying at a hut, and not just whining or baying at the moon, I offer this.
    Day 1 Eliza shelter to Liberty Spring Tent site 11.4 mi $8
    Day 2 Liberty Spring Tent site to Guyot Shelter and Tentsite 14.0 mi $8
    Day 3 Guyot to Neuman Tent Site 19.2 mi $8 (This is mostly pretty flat but if this seems too long, break in half and stay at Ethan Pond Shelter $8)
    Day 4 Neuman to Valley Way tent site 12.4 -0-
    Day 5 Valley way to Carter Notch - easy to stealth there. 14.3 -0-
    So for $24, $32 if you're slow, you can easily get through the Whites. Hope this helps.

    Is it possible to hang a hammock at these sites ? thanks

  8. #188
    Registered User Zigzag's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-27-2012
    Location
    Glen, New Hampshire
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Hey, when I stayed at the old Crag Camp in the 60's I think it was free. The huts were under $30 a night & also included a trail lunch. I stayed up last night way to late reading this entire forum. Surprised to see my wife quoted (Elizabeth from the AMC). I suspect she was replying to a question posed by someone calling about a hut stay & certainly does not repersent the offical AMC policy. Please contact Rob Burbank (Public relations) at Pinkham for a real answer instead of guessing or forming incorrect opinions. I section hiked for a month in Virginia 2 years ago & my wife did not even want me to mention that we both worked for the AMC. The misinformation out there is unbelievable! Remember the AMC is a member drieven organization that has no need to cater to Thru-hikers. You can camp for free at the Mohican Center. You get member rates at AMC facilites if you tell them you are a thru-hiker. Work for stay is very misunderstood. It is program which is often abused. I have seen non thru-hikers going from hut to hut using the program. I have been at huts when 10 thru hikers are fed & offered a place to sleep (often). Remember that hut croo are not full time employees but seasonal workers doing the best they can under often trying conditions. Love those statements about the tourists. What makes the long distance hikers own the mountains. The tourist are helping to pay your way. The AMC huts are used for education, SAR, research, LNT programs, trail maintance among other things. The AMC promotes conservation efforts not only in New Hampshire but also in the Mid-Atlantic area. Most of their efforts are behind the scene, they are not out there promoting like the Sierra Club. AMC faclities are also used in education though YOP, Teen Wilderness & Mountain Classroom programs. In terms of the cost of stays. Short season, 3-4 month open because of trying weather conditions. Difficult resupply. Helicopters used (over 1k/hr.). Old days hut croo carried everything in & out & were often injured. Extra staff on hand at huts for education & research. I have taked to a manager at LeConte Lodge & they base their pricing partially on AMC pricing. I know I will never convince many thru-hikers of the AMC mission or purpose but it is amazing how many hear something & take it as truth without doing their homework.

  9. #189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zigzag View Post
    Hey, when I stayed at the old Crag Camp in the 60's I think it was free. The huts were under $30 a night & also included a trail lunch. I stayed up last night way to late reading this entire forum. Surprised to see my wife quoted (Elizabeth from the AMC). I suspect she was replying to a question posed by someone calling about a hut stay & certainly does not repersent the offical AMC policy. Please contact Rob Burbank (Public relations) at Pinkham for a real answer instead of guessing or forming incorrect opinions. I section hiked for a month in Virginia 2 years ago & my wife did not even want me to mention that we both worked for the AMC. The misinformation out there is unbelievable! Remember the AMC is a member drieven organization that has no need to cater to Thru-hikers. You can camp for free at the Mohican Center. You get member rates at AMC facilites if you tell them you are a thru-hiker. Work for stay is very misunderstood. It is program which is often abused. I have seen non thru-hikers going from hut to hut using the program. I have been at huts when 10 thru hikers are fed & offered a place to sleep (often). Remember that hut croo are not full time employees but seasonal workers doing the best they can under often trying conditions. Love those statements about the tourists. What makes the long distance hikers own the mountains. The tourist are helping to pay your way. The AMC huts are used for education, SAR, research, LNT programs, trail maintance among other things. The AMC promotes conservation efforts not only in New Hampshire but also in the Mid-Atlantic area. Most of their efforts are behind the scene, they are not out there promoting like the Sierra Club. AMC faclities are also used in education though YOP, Teen Wilderness & Mountain Classroom programs. In terms of the cost of stays. Short season, 3-4 month open because of trying weather conditions. Difficult resupply. Helicopters used (over 1k/hr.). Old days hut croo carried everything in & out & were often injured. Extra staff on hand at huts for education & research. I have taked to a manager at LeConte Lodge & they base their pricing partially on AMC pricing. I know I will never convince many thru-hikers of the AMC mission or purpose but it is amazing how many hear something & take it as truth without doing their homework.
    Unfortunately there is a culture of entitlement among some long distance hikers.

  10. #190
    Registered User rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-24-2002
    Location
    South Carolina
    Age
    73
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nufsaid View Post
    Unfortunately there is a culture of entitlement among some long distance hikers.
    There is both a culture of entitlement among some hikers and elitism among some hut users including the staff. For the most part though the guests and the staff were great. I have a real issue about work for stay. It is my issue and one that I did not change during my hike through the Whites. I do not have an issue with paying so I stayed at Zealand Falls, Madison, and Carter Notch. I was also prepared to camp if necessary and had everything I needed. I found that the young women cru chiefs were the easiest to communicate with and were less likely to give you a hard time about the availability of bunks. Males on the other hand would try to show they were in charge. The young man at Madison met me at the door to inform me that there was no more work for stay options available. I informed him quickly that I no desire to do work for stay, knew for a fact they had they had vacant bunks, presented my AMC membership card and my platinum visa card and asked where I could clean up because supper was about to be served. He responded appropriately and in doing so learned a valuable lesson, " age and treachery will trump youth and talent every time". During supper one of the guests, a fellow from Boston, began making snide remarks about thru hikers and insinuated that they were ill prepared bums who just wanted to mooch off the system. I suggested to him that if he wished to bring his concerns to their attention directly I would bring Giggles, Calculator, and Dayman inside so he could have that conversation. Boston declined. It was a great trip but I was so glad to get to Maine.

  11. #191
    Registered User kayak karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-21-2007
    Location
    Swedesboro, NJ
    Age
    64
    Posts
    5,338
    Images
    25

    Default

    yes, i hung at two of them. hung over the wooden platform at one and in the overflow area in the other. did work for stay, 45 min work to cover the $8
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

  12. #192
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2012
    Location
    Sugar Hill, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
    Is it possible to hang a hammock at these sites ? thanks
    Yes, you can hang a hammock at the tentsites, but you still have to pay. You can hang a Hammock anywhere below tree line except in designated protected areas, which are pretty easy to work around with a hammock.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •