WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default PA trail conditions from Pen Mar heading north

I'm planning to put in at Pen Mar in early August, just for a few days, I think. What can I expect critter-wise from there north? I'm specifically wondering what to expect as far as bears are concerned - are there any in that area, do I need to hang food, etc. I generally like to hang my food anyway, just to discourage the coons and pigs and such. Any other critters to be alert for? Anyone else planning to be on that part of the trail at the beginning of August?

Images

There ARE bears throughout PA. With that said, I have yet to see one in the AT corridor in years of hiking there. Most of the shelters in southern PA have bear poles or boxed, I use them but just keep my food with me if they're not available and have never had a problem YMMV. I to recall seeing a sign at Clarks Ferry Shelter about bear activity earlier this year but don't kow what it was all about. If you're worried about critters keep your eyes on the ground as the mountains, especially north od Duncannon, are crawling with rattlers. Again, not a big deal just be aware.

Have fun in PA! If you find yourself in need of a ride or anything shoot me a message.

Images

Cool, thanks for the welcome, the info and the offer. I think I'm okay ride-wise, thanks to my loving wife. So, watch out for rattlers, eh? Hmmm, what would Les Stroud do? Oh, yeah - they're an excellent source of protein.

walk "heavy" in snake country, they will feel you coming and get out of the way usually! i lived there most of my life and spend a lot of time outdoors and it was rare that you saw them. Just be aware. the bears are more numerous in north central Pa. but again be noisy and heavy and they will leave you alone. Be smart with your food at night too!

Images

Just did PA. Saw 2 bears, one wild turkey (further north though), lots of deer, and a few snakes (mostly black snakes but one rattler who saw me first and made sure I knew he was there). Never hung my food while in PA except at shelters that had food hangs (which there are a couple of those in southern PA), though I'm also just lazy. It's always a good idea to hang.
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dbranson View Post
    Cool, thanks for the welcome, the info and the offer. I think I'm okay ride-wise, thanks to my loving wife. So, watch out for rattlers, eh? Hmmm, what would Les Stroud do? Oh, yeah - they're an excellent source of protein.
    Oh yeah the rattler I saw later became a meal for a guy I had been hiking with a week before.
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Oh yeah the rattler I saw later became a meal for a guy I had been hiking with a week before.
    IT IS ILLEGAL TO KILL RATTLESNAKES .... watch out for johnny law

Images

Hiked from Caledonia to Swtara Gap in June and never saw a bear though I did see deer and several black snakes. Quarry Gap Shelter had a bear box and Birch Run and Tom's Run Shelters both had bear poles. Other than that I just hung my food from critter hangers in the shelters.

Images

Another AT noob question, so bear with me...

The other topic on my mind for this stretch - especially given that it's going to be August - is water. On the map, there are at least a few creek crossings, there are some picnic grounds and state parks along the way, and springs.

I'm expecting that most or all of the small creeks would be dried up, unless I'm blessed with a little rain along the way.

Picnic grounds and state parks often have water available, but might not. Can I count on finding water at the state parks?

In the PA guide book there are a number of springs listed. Bailey Spring is noted to be "always flowing." For other springs, it doesn't say, so if anyone knows what the springs are like this time of year, or other water sources, it would be a help to me.

Springs at:

- Deer Lick Shelter
    - Rocky Mountain Shelter
    - Quarry Gap Shelter
    - Milesburn Road
    - Birch Run Shelter
    - Tar Kettle Spring
    - Toms Run Shelter
    - Halfway Spring
    - Tagg Run (already heard this one is dry, but that the water is drinkable if treated.)
    - Alec Kennedy Shelter

I'm really looking at any water sources from Pen Mar to Boiling Springs.

Images

Default Water, ticks in PA

To give you an idea of water, conditions, much of your hike will be in Michaux State Forest, which has had an open fire ban over most of the last month due to dry conditions. The stream levels are about normal for this time of year, but we had some big thunderstorms over the weekend which brought them up from lower than normal levels. Also, a SOBO through-hiker is hiking through the area of your hike now. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=338776 He found dry conditions north of Duncannon.

I hiked from Duncannon to Caledonia one month ago. I saw one bear and two rattlesnakes - but it was the one deer tick that I didn't see that was the most dangerous. I have one more week of antibiotics left to take. Treat your clothes, use deet and stay out of the brush. For me, the blueberries were too tempting, and I bushwhacked more than I should have to pick them. I picked off several ticks but missed one.

Images

JansportD2, thanks for the info. Just trying to carry only as much water as I need.

I've heard ticks can be bad, never had trouble with infections myself, though I frequently get ticks. A neighbor of mine did get Lyme's, and that messed him up pretty good. Usually I just pluck the ticks, sometimes put a little triple-antibiotic on the bite. Sometimes there's a small infected spot that goes away after a few days. So, what kind of infection did you get?

Images

Default Lyme

I had the classic bulls-eye rash and a very high fever. With regard to water, I wouldn't count on the shelter springs. There are plenty of streams that are still running, as well as state parks, etc.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JansportD2 View Post
    I had the classic bulls-eye rash and a very high fever. With regard to water, I wouldn't count on the shelter springs. There are plenty of streams that are still running, as well as state parks, etc.
    Yeah, sounds like Lyme's. Glad you caught it early.

I'll count on the streams and parks, as you say. I have four one-liter bottles that I can use for water, but I prefer to just fill two when I think I can get away with it.

Images

++ New Posts ++