WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Well I run cross country so I know what endurance training is like. Haha. I know I can have that mentality. I just don't know if I can do it for months at a time. I guess I'll have to find out. I don't really like sitting in camp either. I like the hiking and the scenery. Maybe I will go on a few weeks hike on one of my breaks and see how far I can go without killing myself.

As for money, I will work from now until my hike and make as much as I can as a high schooler. I am pretty thrifty though, so after equipment and travel I can just make sure I don't blow the rest on fancy meals and things I don't need. I'd be afraid to spend it anyway, just in case I need it farther down the trail.

Images

I'm also graduating college in 12' and plan to start NOBO from Springer in early May. I talked to some grads who did it a few years ago and they said they had plenty of time and the late start took snow out of the picture. Honestly I think you should shoot for going NOBO the whole way, then if you realize you are running late just go with the flop. That's going to be my strategy, as the flop just doesn't seem as appealing. I mean I want to walk to Maine... not just see all of the trail. I feel like doing a flip would kind of ruin the journey for me a small bit. Great plan B though.

That is a great plan! And I think I will do the same. That way I have a plan B and I don't feel pressured if I am going slow. And I feel the same about how a flip flop would kind of ruin the experience, I want to know that I hiked from Georgia to Maine straight through. That was my goal in the first place, so it just seems right that way. Thanks for the help!

Default starting may 12th

I'm going to be leaving springer saturday morning. planned to start late to miss the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by theflash1327 View Post
    That is a great plan! And I think I will do the same. That way I have a plan B and I don't feel pressured if I am going slow. And I feel the same about how a flip flop would kind of ruin the experience, I want to know that I hiked from Georgia to Maine straight through. That was my goal in the first place, so it just seems right that way. Thanks for the help!

Yes there will be less people around, but 'less people' on the southern AT on the tail end of thru-hiker season may still well mean quite a few people in places.

I've hiked in the thru-hiker bubble, started 9 April...wouldn't do it again, I would wait to end of April or early May. Do your thing and if you get short on time head up to Katahdin and go south - no worries.

Good luck!

I've been waiting for my house sale to close and finally I have a start date. I am doing a flip/flop. I'm taking a train from Charlotte, NC to Harpers Ferry. I'll get there after 5 on the 24 of May, stay at a hostel and start walking on the 25th. I'm doing short miles for the first two weeks to get into shape then extend it out. When I finish in Maine I'll flip back to Harpers Ferry and head south to Springer. I figure I'll probably be at the tail end of the NOBO bubble and when I head SOBO I'll probably be at the tail end of that bubble too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++