WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Lightning HT2 Tent

Does anyone have a Sierra Designs Lightning HT2 and what was your thoughts on this 28.5 sq. ft. tent ?
    The Lightning HT2 has an extra ridge pole that allows more head room for taller folks .
    The interesting feature to the HT2 is it has double doors with a rain fly that has two separate vestibules.

Does having an entrance on both sides really make any sense if used as a one man tent ?

At $279.95 it seems a bit pricey although I know SD is a reputable company.

www.sierradesigns.com
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

The HT2 is meant to be a 2 person tent and for that a double vestibule and entry point is very welcome.
    For solo use it can also be beneficial in some situations.
    For example if someone happens to set up another tent close to one side you can use the other.
    Also with wind or wind driven rain you could take advantage of the lee side for ventilation/cooking and some view.
    These are some of the reasons why the TT Scarp 1 has two vestibules and two doors but aimed mostly at a single user (two for a close couple or in emergency...)
    Franco

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    The HT2 is meant to be a 2 person tent and for that a double vestibule and entry point is very welcome.
    For solo use it can also be beneficial in some situations.
    For example if someone happens to set up another tent close to one side you can use the other.
    Also with wind or wind driven rain you could take advantage of the lee side for ventilation/cooking and some view.
    These are some of the reasons why the TT Scarp 1 has two vestibules and two doors but aimed mostly at a single user (two for a close couple or in emergency...)
    Franco
    Franco you are a Tarptent whore

The Scarp 1 was the only solo tent that I could think of that has two doors.
    However I have seen several commenting/recommending a doubles to solo hikers looking for a non claustrophobic shelter.
    (including here at White Blaze...)
    Can't remember exactly what prompted me to suggest two doors to Henry when he was fiddling with the Scarp design (about 4 years ago...) but most likely the reasons I outlined above.
    Franco

There are far worse things to be plugging than Tarptent, no worries mate

If you are serious about buying this tent, a quick search showed that campsaver is currently offering it for $224 and alssports wants $200. I did note that it weighs around 4 lbs..
    I have a sierra designs electron2 which is heavier and a little bigger, but it is very similar design (slightly different pole arrangement)with the dual vestibules.It has performed well in some very windy and wet conditions. Lots of mesh pockets in the corners - a nice feature for stashing lights and other small objects.

I like a lot of Sierra Design's designs. They come up with some interesting configurations. I really like the LT Strike. But unfortunately, most of their tent's are under 7' in length, accept for the Vapor Light 2 XL. I'm 6'3" and I laid in the HT2 in a store and was hitting the walls. Granted it wasn't staked out at all but I still can't see it making a difference.
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

++ New Posts ++