WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    I love cats, but I can't eat a whole one.
    I love leftovers. I know in some cultures cats are considered a delicacy. Never tried one and have always wondered if they were light or dark meat.

Quote Originally Posted by nufsaid View Post
    Wonder who would be more likely to be seen "scooting" across a carpet. The cat or skidmark.
    Cats are sneaky. My guess is this cat may have set up this innocent human to receive the trail name of skidmark.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Bringing a cat backpacking seems a little strange to me. Doesn't the cat get bored and out-of-shape?
    "Sir" acts much like a dog. Comes when called, follows "Magic Mix" down the trail when not riding in his pack, gets along with "LOL"'s dog, doesn't bother other hikers. Basically, completely opposite of most cats.
    Last edited by couscous; 08-05-2011 at 23:36.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    "Sir" acts much like a dog. Comes when called, follows "Mountain Man" down the trail when not riding in his pack, gets along with "LOL"'s dog, doesn't bother other hikers. Basically, completely opposite of most cats.
    this is normal behavior for a trail cat.

geek

Images

Bringing a cat backpacking seems a little strange to me. Doesn't the cat get bored and out-of-shape?
    As opposed to cats that stay home?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Too many mice to get bored or out of shape....but they do grow fast with all of that protien!

geek

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nufsaid View Post
    I love leftovers. I know in some cultures cats are considered a delicacy. Never tried one and have always wondered if they were light or dark meat.
    In general I don't think meat eaters would taste very good. The grazers are the tastey ones.

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Still would like to know how Yogi made out, and any updates on Sir. believe there to be another cat on the trail met a hiker that "rescued" three kittens at Darlington shelter earlier this year. Two kittens found homes at the Doyle one with a ridge runner. I believe the third went on with another hiker.
    Alcohol was involved!

i loved rangeley! but i don't live there.
    Images

this thread makes me smile. i'm sure sir is doing fine... his ownner's name is actually magic mix, not mountain man. magic saiidd he had a problem back in pa when it was so hot... since sir's black, he had to be careful not to expose him to the sun too much, so they took up night hiking. i did very early morning hiking with swayze to keep her from overheating. i'm not 100% sure where magic & birch are, but i guarantee they're almost halfway done w/ny, if not on into mass. we did do the 30 miles into PGFSP that day, and i ate the hell outta some cookies 'n' creme. -- LOL & Swayze
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

In the docu North to Maine theres a big hiking ginger cat that climbs up a dude and sits on his already huge pack in a storm.

Is the guy/cat combo from the documentary "North to Katahdin"?

Antspantry.jpg

Curly hikes with a cat in his backpack.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stonedflea View Post
    this thread makes me smile. i'm sure sir is doing fine... his ownner's name is actually magic mix, not mountain man. magic saiidd he had a problem back in pa when it was so hot... since sir's black, he had to be careful not to expose him to the sun too much, so they took up night hiking. i did very early morning hiking with swayze to keep her from overheating. i'm not 100% sure where magic & birch are, but i guarantee they're almost halfway done w/ny, if not on into mass. we did do the 30 miles into PGFSP that day, and i ate the hell outta some cookies 'n' creme. -- LOL & Swayze
    Magicmix yeah I should have known that. Just bumping up the thread a bit to see if any one can give me an update on Sir. Wren is the one who first told me about him and I am sure she would also like to know. also still would like to know If Yogi ever made Katahdin.
    Alcohol was involved!

I want a hiking cat! An orange one!
    "It is a little star-dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched." Higher Laws, Thoreau

Images

Bumping it up one more time where are the hiking cats.
    Alcohol was involved!

Quote Originally Posted by harryfred View Post
    Magicmix yeah I should have known that. Just bumping up the thread a bit to see if any one can give me an update on Sir. Wren is the one who first told me about him and I am sure she would also like to know. also still would like to know If Yogi ever made Katahdin.
    can only go to Abol Bridge...Baxter won't let them in the park...won't be on K.

in 1990 Ziggy did all but GSMNP and Baxter...only two places that they wouldn't let him on the trail.
    GSMNP permit used to say "no dogs" but when they heard that Ziggy was coming, they blacked that out and stamped "no pets".

geek

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    can only go to Abol Bridge...Baxter won't let them in the park...won't be on K.

in 1990 Ziggy did all but GSMNP and Baxter...only two places that they wouldn't let him on the trail.
    GSMNP permit used to say "no dogs" but when they heard that Ziggy was coming, they blacked that out and stamped "no pets".

geek
    Duh! (head smack) never quite put it together. Stiill would like to know how Yogi made out and if any one has seen MajicMix and Sir recently Wren is heading south from Katahdin now and would love a chance to hook up again.
    Alcohol was involved!

Default MagicMix and Sir sighting

I was curious about hiking with a cat when I saw this post from a thru-hiker, which led me here. Looks like they are somewhere near Hanover.

Quote Originally Posted by harryfred View Post
    Duh! (head smack) never quite put it together. Stiill would like to know how Yogi made out and if any one has seen MajicMix and Sir recently Wren is heading south from Katahdin now and would love a chance to hook up again.

Images

Thank you, I'll pass that info along Wren rarely visits WB and hiked with MajicMix and Sir I know she would be thriiled to run into them again.
    Alcohol was involved!

i loved rangeley! but i don't live there.
    Images

Cool

magic's flipping up to katahdin out of gorham. so glad to have run back into him before his flip! i took a real nice nap with swayze and sir yesterday... they heart each other.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++