WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    I knew starting out that I didn't have enough $$, but wanted to try anyway (leave of absence already approved, apartment subleased). So while I was concerned about money on the trail, I decided to just enjoy myself and when the money runs out, pack it in. I could have stretched it to last the whole trip, but I wouldn't have had near as much fun. The beer tasted great and I don't regret it. Now, for my second attempt I'll be sure to bring enough scratch.
    I started two "thru-hikes" and due to unforeseen circumstances prior to leaving came up short to adequately fund both. Like you, I saved money where I could, but spent freely where I desired. I was able to complete about half the trail in both instances. Got home, found a job and saved to finish the following year. It worked out really well as I met twice as many as I normally would have and was part of two classes.

It wasn't until my third thru-hike I made sure I have enough money to complete the trail.

Journal Entries

Money, schmoney. Realize that every day of your life that passes by is gone, you will never get it back, and you are one day closer to death? And some would waste theirs by worrying about money!

I work with many folks that work for a living. Thats it, thats ALL they do, ever. They dont LIVE, they EXIST. They have nothing to look forward to, nothing to look back on with fond memories. They work, retire, get sick, and die. Their obituaries usually only talk about what a good employee of xyz company they were. Totally Pathetic. They waste their lives worrying about money. They drank the koolaid, purchased a house they couldnt afford, expensive cars, then lived in fear of losing their job and losing that house and everything else , never went anywhere, never did anything, and eventually got sick and died.

Dont be that way.

Well worth repeating.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Money, schmoney. Realize that every day of your life that passes by is gone, you will never get it back, and you are one day closer to death? And some would waste theirs by worrying about money!

I work with many folks that work for a living. Thats it, thats ALL they do, ever. They dont LIVE, they EXIST. They have nothing to look forward to, nothing to look back on with fond memories. They work, retire, get sick, and die. Their obituaries usually only talk about what a good employee of xyz company they were. Totally Pathetic. They waste their lives worrying about money. They drank the koolaid, purchased a house they couldnt afford, expensive cars, then lived in fear of losing their job and losing that house and everything else , never went anywhere, never did anything, and eventually got sick and died.

Dont be that way.

Journal Entries

What Im saying is, some worry evidently about how they can afford to go hike.

They should be thinking that they cannot afford not to!

with regards to saving money for a hike (and enjoying yourself while doing it):

I can't say enough about teaching English abroad. Teaching can be one of the more lucrative and fun gigs if your education background (most just require any bachelors...not a teaching degree), family situation (like, you can put stuff on hold for a year), and career allow it.

I've been in South Korea for a year now and have saved enough money to head out tomorrow and hike for 18 months (if i chose to). It really can't be beat...plus you live in another country for a year! I'm going to stay a second year, sock away a whole mess of cash and still have time to visit Guam, Hawaii, Nepal, and Thailand.

My first through-hike was payed for by keeping myself stapled to a desk. My second hike was payed for by frugal living and a consulting gig. My next 4 or 5 hikes will be paid for by two years spent immersed in a foreign culture, rough-housing with kids all day. Looking back, it doesn't seem fair.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

Dont be that way.
    Yeah, I live pretty cheap, so I am not that concerned about money. I do have 25K in student loans to pay off, so I am trying to get a decent paying job. I would be ok working like 2 years at a job I don't care for to pay it off, but not any longer than that. Money is not worth my life. I will make a good attempt to pay it back, and I live cheaply enough to do so, but I wouldn't do it for 10 years or whatever to pay off. So work hard, pay that off, then save up as much as I can, do another thru, then decide what to do from there. Fortunately, I don't own much, and really don't care for having stuff, it keeps you chained down.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    with regards to saving money for a hike (and enjoying yourself while doing it):

I can't say enough about teaching English abroad...
    sounds like you enjoy what you do, which is great. however, I think you misunderstood the OP's question somewhat...don't think he was seeking career advice (or perhaps maybe it was me who misunderstood the intent of his post).

yeah...i was mostly responding to trail bender who posted earlier about having student loans to pay off. threads tend to drift...i'm definitely guilty of that here. especially, since i didn't quote his post just to give mine some direction.

similar experience. last year when i left i guessed that i had enough money to make it roughly half way. i had a motorcycle for sale back home, and figured it would sell quick, being spring and i had a VERY generous price on it. i'd checked in back home a few times about it and it still hadnt sold, and by the time i reached harpers ferry, i had less than $100 in the bank and was about to start breaking out credit cards when i called the dealership that was selling it for me, and they had a customer in the store at that moment interested. we worked out a deal and a few days later i had a check in the bank. talk about cutting it close. but from harpers to katahdin i had that money to hike on, and didnt much worry about it the rest of the way. it does suck though being out in the world where nothing should matter, worrying about bills and money.
    "...Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation." -Blind Seer, O Brother, Where Art Thou?

I recieve a small SSDI disability check of $562.00. So I am used to being poor. I was a Registered Nurse way back when, but seizures and a mood disorder have prevented me from working and the heavy meds have prevented me from driving a car, and now, my other systems have gone to hell. I am fixing to purchase my shoes and wool socks, I will not scrimp there. I need new shoes anyway so I may as well get the ones I want for hiking and kill 2 birds. They will be broken in here on the farm and on my walks. The rest of my equipment I hope to purchase used or on sale. I am quite frugal and not used to spending money so would be ok being poor on the trail. I have 2 food dehydrators and will be using those to prep. I believe all things are possible and dreams do come true. Even if you are poor.
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Phlox View Post
    I recieve a small SSDI disability check of $562.00. So I am used to being poor. I was a Registered Nurse way back when, but seizures and a mood disorder have prevented me from working and the heavy meds have prevented me from driving a car, and now, my other systems have gone to hell. I am fixing to purchase my shoes and wool socks, I will not scrimp there. I need new shoes anyway so I may as well get the ones I want for hiking and kill 2 birds. They will be broken in here on the farm and on my walks. The rest of my equipment I hope to purchase used or on sale. I am quite frugal and not used to spending money so would be ok being poor on the trail. I have 2 food dehydrators and will be using those to prep. I believe all things are possible and dreams do come true. Even if you are poor.
    Yeah, if you make that a month, a hike should be easy finance wise. You can make most of the gear yourself.

Thanks Trailbender. I was wondering if that was even close to what it would take to make it on the AT. I am feeling very happy about this.

ok, so I'll put in my 2 cents here too....I haven't done a full thru hike but have done quite a few extended sections. The first time I did a 2 week of MA and VT I thought...oh this will be a really cheap holiday. Not always does it work that way...I found myself enticed by the smell coming from the restaurant at the road crossing or the comfortable bed at the conveniently located motel followed by a nice meal at a sit down restaurant. The next thing you know I'm carrying food I'm not even eating. It can be dangerous but....you can hike cheaply. You just make a choice. I met plenty of people who resisted the "expensive" extras and they seemed just as happy as me. My oldest son is considering a thru hike in the next few years (me too at some point) and I suggested at least $2-3000 but for him he can live on very cheaply. I would say the biggest issue for US residents is health insurance. That's what stopped me years ago from doing a thru - after all no job no insurance usually. If you pay to pick up your own insurance it'll cost a fortune. If you don't have insurance and something happens you're royally screwed (we all know that).

All in all, my suggestion is...consider (as a previous member said) living below your means now (and that'll help you save money) and remember...life ends all too soon for any of us...don't regret not doing what your heart tells you to do.
    :-)

Once you have the basic gear...I spent about $20 per day my last Thru. I know a guy that spent about $300 for his Thru of the AT. The very best of any Trail is the people and they are always free.

Bare Bear, was that $300. spent JUST on the trail or $300. on the trail AND for the food he prepared ahead of time?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Phlox View Post
    I recieve a small SSDI disability check of $562.00. So I am used to being poor.
    You'll still be getting that $562 while you are hiking. That will make you richer than most on the trail. Even though I had a big lump of money in the bank, I had no income while I was hiking and no income when I got home until I was able to find a job. At first I could only find a part-time job. It took a few years to get a full-time job and it's not at the same level of pay as what it was before hiking. So even though I had more money than you then and more income than you now, in many ways, I would rather be totally free like you are.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I spent 4 months on the trail in 2002 and only spent about $1600 or $1700, which is less than $15 a day. I pigged out at restaurants every time I passed a town and had a few beers occasionally. I never worried about money or watched how much I spent. But what I didn't do was spend a lot of time in motels. My town philosophy is get in and get out...it shouldn't take you longer than 2 or 3 hours to do a town stop unless there are extenuating circumstances...that's long enough to shower and laundry, resupply and get a restaurant meal. I took almost all of my zero days on the trail...there's nowhere to spend money on the trail just because. Even if you get into town late in the day you can hike a mile in the dark and set up your tent on the edge of town.

Every night you spend in a motel you're talking $40 to $60 (or more) for the room, plus some beer and probably two extra meals in town because of the extra time you'll be spending there. So I look at it like you're spending $100 a day when you stay in a motel. Do that 3 times a month and you can see that you'll almost be doubling what you spend.

Don't get into a click with other hikers so much that you feel like you have to do everything they do...you'll end up spending money you wouldn't have otherwise spent.

Have good equipment that works well and keeps you comfortable, and carry some real food out of town with you, even if its just enough for one meal or one day. If you are going so ultralight that you dread spending a nite on the trail in the rain or cold then you'll be spending more time and money in town...likewise if you are only eating ramen noodles and lipton dinners.

I spent 4 months on the trail in 2002 and only spent about $1600 or $1700, which is less than $15 a day. I pigged out at restaurants every time I passed a town and had a few beers occasionally. I never worried about money or watched how much I spent. But what I didn't do was spend a lot of time in motels. My town philosophy is get in and get out...it shouldn't take you longer than 2 or 3 hours to do a town stop unless there are extenuating circumstances...that's long enough to shower and laundry, resupply and get a restaurant meal. I took almost all of my zero days on the trail...there's nowhere to spend money on the trail just because. Even if you get into town late in the day you can hike a mile in the dark and set up your tent on the edge of town.

Every night you spend in a motel you're talking $40 to $60 (or more) for the room, plus some beer and probably two extra meals in town because of the extra time you'll be spending there. So I look at it like you're spending $100 a day when you stay in a motel. Do that 3 times a month and you can see that you'll almost be doubling what you spend.

Don't get into a click with other hikers so much that you feel like you have to do everything they do...you'll end up spending money you wouldn't have otherwise spent.

Have good equipment that works well and keeps you comfortable, and carry some real food out of town with you, even if its just enough for one meal or one day. If you are going so ultralight that you dread spending a nite on the trail in the rain or cold then you'll be spending more time and money in town...likewise if you are only eating ramen noodles and lipton dinners.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post

Yeah, also keep a record of what you spend money on and find cheaper alternatives. These may or may not work. I do this ruthlessly at home, and live fairly cheaply(about 8-900 a month, including rent). Try something out, if it doesn't work, go back to what you had. Even saving a little bit adds up. Get cash back in stores instead of ATM's, do the nero's, wood's zeros(get a cheap or free book from a library in town while you are there). If you have financial self discipline, doing a hike on the cheap and not suffering isn't hard.

Bronk has it about right re finances but there are a lot of laughs in town and you meet and learn about the towns from the locals. With the time you have get your gear in order and light, you can soon drop some cash at the great outfitters on the trail.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++