WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need advice for a 2 week hike ending at Mt Greylock

My daughter and I want to do an approximate 2 week hike on the AT in May 2011 and end up at Mt Greylock. Does anyone have an idea of where a good starting point would be to the south of Greylock? We would hike 15-20 miles per day.Thanks!

Can you do math? Say 17 mpd x 14 days = 238 miles. 238 miles south of Greylock (call it the Rt 2 crossing) is around Vernon, NJ. (which is a bit out of the way). Chances are you'll need one or two of those 14 days for traveling and maybe a zero, so a more practical place to start and give you a little felxability with milage would be at the Hudson River. That eliminates most of the PITA sections on NJ/NY.

Oh, and unless you have a time machine, I don't think you'll be hiking May of 2011! 2012 Maybe?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

If you're hiking in May, be prepared for epic blackflies. Remember--DEET doesn't work on them!

Thanks for the sarcasm. I guess I should have been more specific as to where I should start other than just the mileage. Maybe the name of a starting point. And yes, I meant 2012. Thanks for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by myarrows View Post
    Thanks for the sarcasm. I guess I should have been more specific as to where I should start other than just the mileage. Maybe the name of a starting point. And yes, I meant 2012. Thanks for your response.
    17 miles a day sounds a little aggressive to me. You could start in Kent, Ct and hike about 120 miles in two weeks ending at Mt Graymoor. That way you do a leisurely 10 mpd and have time for a day off or two

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    17 miles a day sounds a little aggressive to me. You could start in Kent, Ct and hike about 120 miles in two weeks ending at Mt Graymoor. That way you do a leisurely 10 mpd and have time for a day off or two
    +1,

I like this idea, aloows you to slow down a bit and have some flexibility

Journal Entries
    Images

Take a "0" day at Upper Goose Pond Cabin. It will be an enjoyable day spent.
    Grampie-N->2001

Registered User Prettywoman0172's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    +1Definately stop here!
    Ann

Thank you! Those are the tips I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettywoman0172 View Post
    +1Definately stop here!
    For sure, but the cabin won't be open and the caretaker won't be there to cook pancakes until Memorial day.

++ New Posts ++