WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Mistake Purchase on Sleeping Bag?

Hey all,

I was at a local store today who had been running a sale on their sleeping bags. Its a Ma and Pop kind of place where you have to route through their crowded stock in order to find what you are looking for. I picked up a Vaude Sioux 800 220L. I haven't been able to find a lot of info on the precise model but the price was pretty cheap and it compacted pretty small. The person working their said it was a 20 degree bag. After doing a bit of research, I think it is more of a 30, maybe even 40 degree bag. Since it is a German company, the info was in Celsius.

Here is a link to it: http://www.vaude.com/epages/Vaude-de...lectSubProduct

Do you think its good for any use? Should I return it?

The overall quality seems to be pretty good after pulling it out of the stuff sack and checking it out better at home. In addition, it comes with a stuff sack that allows it to get super compacted.

Just looking for any general advice.

This is a summer bag. The website you linked to list the comfort temp as 6 *C , limit temp as 1*C. I would compare it in price and weight to summer bags and quilts in order to make decision. you may have a nice bargain if it fits your needs.

Images

I got it for $55. The list price on the website is 65 euros, or $99.

A 30 degree limit is what they said with "extreme" temperature of -13 *C, which is around 6 *F (not going to attempt that). Might be good into Fall as long as I am not going too close to winter.

6 degrees Celcius is 42.8 degrees Fahrenheit so its definitely a summer bag, but for $50 if your happy with the size of it, its not a bad deal in my opinion.

Images

The specs look similar to this Mountain Hardwear 20F bag: http://www.rei.com/product/795996/mo...0-sleeping-bag

It'll probably be fine for 3 season use. It's heavier than a good down bag, but those are a lot more expensive. You'll figure out what temp it works at for you when fall comes. I'd say use it till you can afford a good down bag.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    The specs look similar to this Mountain Hardwear 20F bag: http://www.rei.com/product/795996/mo...0-sleeping-bag

It'll probably be fine for 3 season use. It's heavier than a good down bag, but those are a lot more expensive. You'll figure out what temp it works at for you when fall comes. I'd say use it till you can afford a good down bag.
    That's exactly what I wanted to hear, haha. Great success then. I wanted something for about that use until I can shell out the cash someday on a good down bag. Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post

That bag you linked is rated for -6c not 6c... big difference.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dillard View Post
    That bag you linked is rated for -6c not 6c... big difference.
    Yes. Sleeping bag ratings are a mess, but are improving -- look at the EN ratings if available. The 'comfort' rating of the Vaude bag is 42F and the 'comfort' rating of the MH bag is 36F. Still, I'd say for $50, use it till you get cold in the fall.

The Vaude bag has slightly less synthetic insulation and weight compared to the Mountain hardwear 20F bag. Most 20F bags are not comfortable at 20F; the best bags ($$$) are comfortable at their rated temp. You can extend the temps by wearing some warm clothes inside the bag, if there's room.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Pino...efault,pd.html
    http://www.vaudeusa.com/shop/product...c=1507&o=0&s=0

Images

Its a pretty roomy bag. I was hoping to put on my synthetic cold long underwear in the colder weather. It says the "comfort zone" goes down to -5 C (~20F). Considering I am a warm sleeper (can't sleep with shorts or a t-shirt during the winter without sweating to death), I think it might work. If you don't hear from me for a while, then you know what happened. Ha!

Man, I don't know if I'd trust a metric sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Wide View Post
    Man, I don't know if I'd trust a metric sleeping bag.
    Perfect for Pennsylvania's Mid State Trail, it's all metric.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

++ New Posts ++