WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    Where have you seen a double walled (linked and modular) modified mid designed shelter that uses trekking poles prior to this one? Curious.
    I know there is a lot of TT love around and that's great. If you think it's never been done or seen, great. I am just not that impressed, my opinion. Why does a double wall with trekking poles impress you? What advantage does the full net give? Not much I am betting, you can open the DR or Lunar Duo all the way up on the sides for adequate ventilation. How about a bug bivy and a tarp? That's basically what the solo is, modified of course. there are many ways and shelter options they all have advantages and disadvantages. That's why I am mostly Hammocking these days, only need 2 trees which is great in the mid-atlantic-midwest forests, can set up a porch with my tarp allowing tons of space for cooking and such and talk about comfort (it took a while to find the right one). That is what is working for me these days. Hey hike your own hike as long as you are getting out there I am all for it, this shelter just does nothing for me, Sorry you just can't convince me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kia Kaha View Post
    It looks better to me, just not "substantially better than the Duo, that's all I am saying. You say none does better here, on your site you use the word "substantially", which means considerable, and I disagree with that statement it does not have considerable or substantially more usable space than the Lunar Duo, it is comparable. It does have quite a bit more space than the Double Rainbow, but so does the Lunar Duo. It looks like a well thought out shelter and a good design, it just does not make me want to run out and buy it, and comparing it to an a-frame is a bit outdated, how many folks are sleeping in an a-frame? Just my thoughts.
    The figure that Henry uses results in about a 15% difference. That's substantial. That's the about the difference between a Dodge Charger and Chevrolet Corvette, and those two cars are not comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kia Kaha View Post
    I... this shelter just does nothing for me, Sorry you just can't convince me.
    Not trying to convince you. Stick with what you like/works for you by all means. Just responding to points you raised.

-H

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    The figure that Henry uses results in about a 15% difference. That's substantial. That's the about the difference between a Dodge Charger and Chevrolet Corvette, and those two cars are not comparable.
    15% difference in what? The A-frame it is compared to? That I can agree that is substantial, but not over the Duo, which as I stated is a comparable shelter. Why is 15% more space needed, like I said I can 4 adults sitting up playing cards in the Duo, even if you could get 15% more space why? Just to say mine's larger?

Quote Originally Posted by hshires View Post
    Not trying to convince you. Stick with what you like/works for you by all means. Just responding to points you raised.

-H
    I appreciate your response and the work that goes into you shelters/designs.

I love our Lunar Duo, but I really like the fact that you can set this one up as a tarp by itself when bug season is over! Plus it looks like this TT has better ventilation.

My understanding is that you could set up the tarp in the rain, then get under to set up the netting--keeping the netting and floor dry (and conversely take down netting/floor 1st--keeping it dry in the rain). Is this a correct interpretation? I think this looks like a very versatile shelter! I'm definitely interested.

Quote Originally Posted by NotYet View Post
    My understanding is that you could set up the tarp in the rain, then get under to set up the netting--keeping the netting and floor dry (and conversely take down netting/floor 1st--keeping it dry in the rain). Is this a correct interpretation?
    Yes, like the Scarp and Hogback, the StratoSpire has a full clip-in/clip-out interior. You can leave the interior attached for setup/takedown or install/detach it separately.

I don't care about your timing or if you have 4 fingers and two thumbs and this means using your mouth to assist with set up, but you suggested to Franco that under 2 minutes would be pushing it. Now this is even without a.) these shelters being available and b.) you having one in your 4 fingered hand. So clearly this IS something on your mind. Is the timing an issue because there aren't instructions for you? Is it because there are instructions but they are written in pen instead of crayon? Is this an issue because your Daddy didn't say he loved you enough? Or is this an issue because you can't actually find anything worth saying about the shelter so just for poops and giggles you determined that the tent could not be set up in 2 minutes or less?

The point is...who cares if it takes 2 minutes or 4. Lets talk about design.
    Well really, I'm glad you got more than three sentences out this time, good going! Now if it was something substantial that would be better. I did talk design, I gave my opinion on that, and yes, read this, my OPINION on the timing. Maybe someone interested in this tent needs/wants to know about things like that. I think they should get opinions, and I gave mine. One thing you are right about is "who cares"? Some might, who are you to judge? It's part of the discussion. Get it? No, I doubt it. I think you should re-read all my posts on this thread and really try to understand that even though you might have started this thread, you really haven't added much but complaints and disagreement. BTW, I have all my fingers, but you really shouldn't mock people with only four. It's wrong and disrespectful. Grow up! And just let it go, theres a start for you.
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mykl View Post
    Well really, I'm glad you got more than three sentences out this time, good going! Now if it was something substantial that would be better. I did talk design, I gave my opinion on that, and yes, read this, my OPINION on the timing. Maybe someone interested in this tent needs/wants to know about things like that. I think they should get opinions, and I gave mine. One thing you are right about is "who cares"? Some might, who are you to judge? It's part of the discussion. Get it? No, I doubt it. I think you should re-read all my posts on this thread and really try to understand that even though you might have started this thread, you really haven't added much but complaints and disagreement. BTW, I have all my fingers, but you really shouldn't mock people with only four. It's wrong and disrespectful. Grow up! And just let it go, theres a start for you.
    My 9 year old can whine better than you.

With respect to your excellent analysis of tent design, you posted a reply to a comment not directed at you but which implies a need to 'stir the pot.' Does this ring a bell?

"lmao!!!!
    ....hosed!"

I have your perfect shelter, by the way. This should help you save some time and not have an issue with rocky soil:

http://camptents.com/SpecPages/PopUp...entXPP60-2.htm

Just for clairification, this design is NOT a modified Mid and has no relation to the Stratospire. It can also be set up by someone with only 4 fingered hands. You will be happy.

My 9 year old can whine better than you.

With respect to your excellent analysis of tent design, you posted a reply to a comment not directed at you but which implies a need to 'stir the pot.' Does this ring a bell?

"lmao!!!!
    ....hosed!"

I have your perfect shelter, by the way. This should help you save some time and not have an issue with rocky soil:

http://camptents.com/SpecPages/PopUp...entXPP60-2.htm

Just for clairification, this design is NOT a modified Mid and has no relation to the Stratospire. It can also be set up by someone with only 4 fingered hands. You will be happy.
    I really just don't understand what your issue is with four fingered people. It's just rude and wrong. You really should treat them like anyone else.
    And yes, I found that funny. Stirring the pot or whatever, it was needed. Did I upset you with that? Poor baby.
    Of course your 9 year old can whine good, he/she learned from the best....you! Poor kid learning such horrible things. I feel bad for that kid. Probably going to grow up to be a racist, I mean you know with your attitude towards four fingered people and all. I'm sure your bigotry doesn't stop there.
    Learn to engage in a conversation and try to understand that it's not all about you. Some people, unlike you, have their own thoughts. You should respect that and learn from it.
    That poor kid, it's just not right to be in such a hostile environment.
    Poor, poor kid.
    Just stop and grow up fella, you got a poor kid to raise. That poor, poor kid.
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

Default Enough!

I ask both of you gentlemen to take this inanity elsewhere.

Agree to disagree and move on.

Thanks.

Henry

I am beginning to like this tent. It does not seem to me that it has a real large footprint. The dimensions look like 8.5 ft. from door to door, and 84 inches plus, from end to end. It weighs 8oz. more than my current Tarptent. That could be a game changer for me. Only if I could cut my weight by 8 oz. Easier said, than done.
    Singletrack

Now that Henry has posted his version of the StratoSpire set up

http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html#videos
    this is mine :
    <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyQT9JHloQM">TT SS2 set up</a>

This is my second full set up. The first time it took me about 2:40 sec.
    After playing with it for a while I took it down and set it up again and this is it.
    Franco

Images

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    I would love to see Henry move the Contrail and Moment to Cuben fiber
    I would like to see this as well.

A Moment in Cuben would be double the cost for maybe 5-7 oz less weight.
    If Cuben was better in every respect than it could be worth doing, but I don't think so...
    TT-SS2-play-time.jpg
    TT-SS2-four-inside.jpg

A couple of shots to show what the SS2 looks like in tarp mode.
    (it can be set higher ...)
    Mostly it should show that you get a lot of usable space for the footprint as well as the weight.
    (I'm 5'8")

Franco
    [email protected]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++