WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Best Section to Pull a 30?

I'm just now rounding out the first quarter of my SOBO trip here in Manchester Center, VT and I'm itching and burning to start throwing down bigger miles. Wondering if any former Thru's had any suggestions on were would be the most ideal sections of the trail for doing 30's. I've heard finishing NOBO's speak of them with equal amounts of awe and fearful respect and I've got to say I'm interested...
    I'm loving the adventure beyond words so far and can't wait to see what lies ahead. I appreciate any words o' wisdom, thanks!
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely considered as a "bad move"."-Douglas Adams

Images

try conn and mass pretty easy walking.ky

Images

Mass just ahead. Sweet.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely considered as a "bad move"."-Douglas Adams

Images

mass is pretty good hiking not to say their are not hard parts,easly 25m a day conn even better.ky

Always keep your head on a swivel

Any section where a town with food and laundry is exactly 30 miles away!

Images

Virginia ! haven't you heard , it's all flat.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I did 37 in PA, from the shelter 5 miles before Duncannon, to the shelter about 6 miles before Swatara Gap. I stopped hiking at 1AM, night hiking is enjoyable, you see a lot more wildlife, and it is an interesting experience. I night hiked because I couldn't sleep. I had no trouble sleeping after I finished, though.

Images

Oh don't worry. I've heard all about how flat Virginia is from NOBOs.

Images

Thanks for the heads up guys!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thepitts View Post
    I'm just now rounding out the first quarter of my SOBO trip here in Manchester Center, VT and I'm itching and burning to start throwing down bigger miles. Wondering if any former Thru's had any suggestions on were would be the most ideal sections of the trail for doing 30's. I've heard finishing NOBO's speak of them with equal amounts of awe and fearful respect and I've got to say I'm interested...
    I'm loving the adventure beyond words so far and can't wait to see what lies ahead. I appreciate any words o' wisdom, thanks!
    The adventure isn't in how many miles but what you see along the way and the people you meet (unless you are going for a record that is). Forget the miles. I mean you can do some big miles now and then, don't get me wrong. But you have to look as this may be the only time you'll ever be able to do this and enjoy the journey at your age before college, job, marriage etc. The miles really mean nothing when all is said and done at Springer. The journey does.
    Last edited by Blissful; 08-04-2011 at 18:13.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

You are heading into more gentle country, but hiking is still hiking, granted it's not southern Maine!

Personally speaking, I think the easiest section of trail is from the NY/NJ border to Waynesboro VA, with a few bumps in the way, a fairly big section.

Doing a 30 is no big deal if you've done 25's, it's just that for many hikers, something happens around 25, a threshold, those last 5-6 miles seem to take a ver long time! Once you do a 30, 40 becomes possible, because your thinking has shifted.

For me, I always knews a 30 mile day was possible, but that was irrelevant. When I eventually did one, it changed alot for me, because I actually did one, so I could do another one. It's all in your head.

If I had to pick a section to knock out some 30's, I would have to say Pennsylvania and NJ, the easiest states IMO, hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    The adventure isn't in how many miles but what you see along the way and the people you meet (unless you are going for a record that is). Forget the miles. I mean you can do some big miles now and then, don't get me wrong. But you have to look as this may be the only time you'll ever be able to do this and enjoy the journey at your age before college, job, marriage etc. The miles really mean nothing when all is said and done at Springer. The journey does.
    Why do we assume by hiking long days the hiker is missing something they would otherwise achieve by sitting around camp for 3 hours waiting for it to get dark? Some people go hiking to go 'hiking', that means walking. The miles do matter, because the miles are what we are out there to do - to walk those miles and experience what comes along with that.

Hiking more miles per day simply means having more trail experiences per day, I mean you can hike 12 mile days, and sit around the same camp for hours each day, I would personally rather go car camping.

For some of us, hiking big days is easier and more fun than hiking shorter days. Your experiences are yours, they mean nothing for another hiker, if someone wants to try some 30's that's awesome, my first 30 was one of the easiest days ever, and in the last hour I saw 3 bears, bears I would have never seen by stopping earlier in the day. Imagine that, hiking more miles means experiecing more! Not exactly complex now is it?

"We don't see the world as it is, but how we are"

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yes and I have also heard many thrus after their hike off the trail and say Boy I wish I had slowed down to take it all in. Guess you weren't one of them, which is perfectly fine

What's wrong with getting to camp early at 5 instead of eight when everyone else is asleep and enjoy the gentle tug of a stream? Or watch clouds roll by and thank God you are out there? Or talk to others and enjoy the experience or maybe stop to help a sectioner who may have some questions. Oops, can't gotta make those miles. No time for humanity...

I do not understand how hiking more miles a day can get you more experiences. ?? If anything, the mindset of "got to do more miles" would make one skip a viewpoint a half mile off the trail, a waterfall, or slowing down to experience that patch of trillium with a butterfly on it instead of seeing a blur of color in passing to make that 30 mile goal.

As I said, I can see trying your feet out with a big mile day. But to get the mindset that I have to hurry because that's what thrus do (and a lot do feel its a competition for some reason), well there's a lot more than that.

I have seen and talked to a lot of hikers at the end of a trip. It wasn't the miles they were boasting about in reflection.
    Last edited by Blissful; 08-04-2011 at 18:50.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

You've done just over 500 miles so far, but you don't tell us how those have been, short days? long days? short miles? big miles? There is no magic part of the trail that is an easy 30. Did those NOBO's you met do it after 1000 miles? Maybe the first 500?
    By now you have an idea of what you expect out of the trail, and I'm sure it's even beat your butt a few times.
    If you just wanna see if you can do it the profile maps and you physical condition and the weather will tell you when is a good section to try.
    If you want to do big miles regularly you should know after the 500 you have done if it's gonna be your style.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Yes and I have also heard many thrus after their hike off the trail and say Boy I wish I had slowed down to take it all in. Guess you weren't one of them, which is perfectly fine

What's wrong with getting to camp early at 5 instead of eight when everyone else is asleep and enjoy the gentle tug of a stream? Or watch clouds roll by and thank God you are out there? Or talk to others and enjoy the experience or maybe stop to help a sectioner who may have some questions. Oops, can't gotta make those miles. No time for humanity...

I do not understand how hiking more miles a day can get you more experiences. ?? If anything, the mindset of "got to do more miles" would make one skip a viewpoint a half mile off the trail, a waterfall, or slowing down to experience that patch of trillium with a butterfly on it instead of seeing a blur of color in passing to make that 30 mile goal.

As I said, I can see trying your feet out with a big mile day. But to get the mindset that I have to hurry because that's what thrus do (and a lot do feel its a competition for some reason), well there's a lot more than that.

I have seen and talked to a lot of hikers at the end of a trip. It wasn't the miles they were boasting about in reflection.
    I think where we see differently is that you assume I am 'in a hurry'. I average 2.75 miles per hour, plain and simple. I average 2.75 miles per hour when I hike 9 miles, and I hike 2.75 miles per hour when I hike 26 miles. Pace is pace, it doesn't change.

I experience more because I 'experience' more...I am up earlier, walking longer, and out later, than someone who starts hiking at 9 and quits at 3-5pm, therefore I experience more. I see 25 miles worth of views instead of 14, pretty simple isn't it?

I think what you mean to say is that 'for you' hiking a 30 mile day would 'be rushing', and I would agree that rushing isn't in my interest either. However, I'm not rushing.

Finally, I never said there was anything wrong with sitting around a creek at 5pm, so don't know where that came from. However, I do understand that different people have different views and experiences, and sharing those views and experiences is what this site is all about.

Pennsylvania

Winding Stair Gap to NOC. It's really nice this time of year.

Images

havent hiked the whole trail but my longest/fastest day ever was harper's ferry to turner's gap. about 23 miles in 9 hours. with an early start and the temps not being in the 90s like they were when i was there i feel like i could have easily done 30 or more. ive never felt that way about any of the other "easy" states like PA or NJ or MA

Your opinion should definitely start with an IMO. People hike for different reasons.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Clearly, people hike the AT for different reasons. Stopping to admire the flowers, wait for the right light to catch the "perfect" photograph, explore a side trail, linger at a hiker feed, discuss the trail with oncoming hikers -- all of these are good reasons to allow yourself a little leeway on a hike.
    Of course, there are times when I want to get a good workout...cranking up my pace for an hour to get the heart going. Other times my section hiking schedule demands that I get to a certain point by a certain time, even if I'd prefer to change the schedule. I'm sure that most of us remember our longest day, as well as our shortest days, as our memories do a better job of remembering the exceptions.
    After a month of solid hiking, your joints are probably ready to take on a lengthier day, but I do suggest that you either moderate your pace a bit or take a few, longer "boots-off" breaks in the afternoon/evening. My take is, if you can't get out the next day for a 10-15 mile day after a 30-miler, then you probably overdid it and are materially increasing your risk of injury.
    From central Vermont, here are the sections that probably lend themselves to a 30-mile day. [Of course, Jennifer Pharr Davis just covered all of these sections in well under a day of slackpacking, so anything's possible!]
    • Between Manchester Center and US-2 in northern Massachusetts
    • Cheshire to US-20 in central Massachusetts
    • NY/CT border to Hudson River
    • NY/NJ border to High Point
    • Duncannon through Cumberland Gap

There are a lot more candidate sections south of Harpers Ferry, but frankly you could probably crank out a 30 almost anywhere if the weather is cooperative, you keep fueled and hydrated, and your feet are in good shape. Just listen to your body.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++